cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2400 mhz trident x memory question

Dmarko
Level 7
Hey guys,

I have an overclocked i7 4770k @ 4.5 ghz (1.25 volts) and did have my memory @ 2400 mhz XMP profile and everything
seemed to run ok.

I did stress tests with aida64 and mem test and passed it. I do alot of 3D work in maya and while i was rendering something withhigh sampling (very cpu intensive) maya would always crash, sometime with a blue screen but 90 percent of the time I would get the 'open GL error..driver stopped responding'...I went and lowered my memory to 1866mhz in bios and never had a crash
since.

My question is, is there any way I can run the memory at the advertised speed of 2400 mhz? Do i have to apply more voltage to the cpu or elsewhere to get it stable? What do you all suggest I try?

Thanks

system specs:
-win 7 64 bit
-h100i cooler
-samsung SSD
-4770k @ 4.5 ghz
-g skill trident x 2400mhz memory
-evga gtx 780 SC with ACX cooler
-corsair 850 watt PSU
-Asus ROG HERO
9 REPLIES 9

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would suggest that yes you will have to apply a tad more voltage to the CPU and possible just bump up the voltage to your memory.

Which of the two profiles are you using, could you try the second profile. (Some kits will have two)

Stress tests are handy tools but they are not proof that a system is stable. As you have found out, the reason a person bought the system for be it work or games is the true test of stability.

I would suggest as a good indicator run the benchmark component of ROG Realbench. Two runs of the benchmark will certainly push your system.

Try the second profile if you have two, first. Then if that does not work or you do not have a second profile increase vCore very slightly as well as the memory voltage by one or two notches.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Dmarko
Level 7
Thanks HiVizMan for the reply. Yes, I have 2 profiles in XMP. 1st one is 2401 mhz and second one is 2399 mhz. I will try the second and will let you know. Attached I put pictures of my BIOS for your reference so you can see my voltages. What voltages do you suggest I change/ modify if profile 2 doesn't work?.....I'm a new to overclocking don't want to mess something up. Should I try 1.260 as my vcore and 1.70v for my ram?2850128502285032850428505

HiVizMan
Level 40
Not sure you knew this but you can take screen shots of your bios. Use a fat formatted USB drive and F12 in bios to take the screen. A nifty little add on.

Now to bussiness

Here is what I would do.

In BIOS set XMP as my mode of OC

In your case select profile 2.

Now change the multiplier to 45x

Go down to the digi+ section and change the LLC (first item) to 4 or 5

Back and move down to the vcore.

Here you select off set as your mode

+ (for positive offset)

And now do your RAID mode in sata if you are running RAID.

F10 and enter.

That my friend is pretty much it. If your system posts to OS fine, open CPUz (the latest one) and check out the voltage while at idle and under load.

Run the ROG Benchmark - do the benchmark not the stress test twice. Keep an eye on temps if that is a concern but with the H100i it should be good.

Will check back when you have had a chance to play.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Dmarko
Level 7
Ok perfect, thanks again. I will go ahead and try this and will let you know how I do.

Dmarko
Level 7
hey HiVizMan, i was using maya 3d the other day and my comp crashed with a very light render within like 5 seconds got a blue screen, so i booted into bios and changed my memory speed down to 1333 from 1866 everything on auto and put my cpu clock to stock at 3.5ghz to see if it will crash again...it lasted for a couple hours then i keep getting the same thing, it crashes with an "open GL error, driver stopped responding". I did everything online for the fix and nothing seems to work. I'm beginning to think my gtx 780 is not working properly. Also i read that this thing happnes to nvidia cards because of the powermizer option and in order to make it work you have to go into the registry and disable it? Have you experienced any of these issues with open GL errors? I want to get this fixed first then im going to try and overclock using your method and see where i get. Thanks

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers for the update mate, keep me informed as to what you find out. I will speak to some mates who use Maya and see what they can bring to this discussion.

Dmarko
Level 7
Hey finally had some time to try your overclock method above. I first ran the realbench 2 times on stock settings and passed no problem. I used the overclock method above and it blue screened half way through. Any suggestions on what i should do? Should I increase the offset maybe + 0.035 or 0.040 or is there anything else i should tweak with to pass the realbench test? Thanks again

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes you will need to increase the offset amount.

Apologies for the long delay I took a couple of days off over the weekend.

No problem HiVizMam..finally i think i found a solution to this problem and maya crashing. Here is what i did.

Increased offset voltages and system agent voltages, put cpu cache to 4200 @ 1.2 volts. Tweaked I/O voltages and was able to successfully pass stability test (aida64, asus realbench, blend test, intel burn test, pcmark, 3dmark,cinebench, memtest, hyperPI) without any issues) I then started maya and would get random BSOD and "nvidia driver lost connection with the display driver error" which drove me crazy. I would then reboot my system and put every clock to stock and see if i would BSOD again in maya and yes the system would BSOD again and would give me "nvidia driver lost connection with the display driver" error again.

After lot of searching online, I had to roll back to 314.22 driver and mod the inf file. After this maya renders don't crash anymore and no BSOD and all is stable with stock clocks and overclocks. If anybody else is having this display driver errors see the guidebelow which helped me.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=377158