cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbo/Expressgate buttons not working. Stupd GeekSquad

Mistergone
Level 7
OK longish rant, bare with me.
So basically I had the AC jack issue others have had on my G73, it kept getting harder to get a good connection to the charger so I took it in to GeekSquad (I got the laptop at Bestbuy and its still under warranty), well 3 weeks later it comes back and about 2 hours after getting it home the LCD goes gray (they had replaced the 460M card along with the AC jack for some reason). I have Geeksquad ship it back to #@$* Kentucky with an expedite on the repairs and get it back today (week and a half later).
So I guess they replaced the LCD but now it seems that my Turbo/Express buttons aren't functioning and the fancy graphics that used to appear when I'd up the volume, change brightness or plug in the charger have new been replaced with old style graphics in the upper left corner of the screen.
I don't want to loose my laptop again and I think its working alright but I'm not positive. Is the graphics issue a driver thing, should I be worried that they screwed up something else?

The graphics card is running driver version: 8.17.12.6658
Is there a newer version? its dated 1/7/2011 which seems pretty old to me.

TLDR: screw Geeksquad, any help on the newest 460M driver or the function graphics issue?
7 REPLIES 7

Retired
Not applicable
The fancy graphics for volume, power etc. is from ATK Package (link to Chastity's latest version - ATK Package 1.0.00010).

For working Turbo/Express buttons you need Power4Gear Hybrid v1.1.37.

Your graphics drivers are old (266.58). I would recommend updating to 275.33 - the latest 280.26 are reported to be a bit buggy. You can get them from http://www.nvidia.com.

Thanks so much for the quick reply, I'm just furious at the repair guys at Geeksquad, it seems they can't fix one thing without breaking something else. I was hoping the problem was just a driver/software thing and I had downloaded Power4Gear earlier, but since my sys still showed them installed I wasn't sure if that was the issue. I've uninstalled both old copies of ATK and P4G and once the 460M driver is done downloading I'll reboot and try re-installing them. Lets hope that's all it takes.

So it looks like I have my buttons back, yay! Now I'm working on the graphics driver except it won't let me finish installing the 275.33 driver I got from nvidia, it gives me the error msg "the graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware". Now I'm assuming that's because its not a ASUS specific driver, is there any specific way to make it fit?

xeromist
I know that's the version that dragonix recommended, but some of the driver packages don't have all of the device ID's. You may want to try a different version since that one can't find your hardware.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Hmm, 275.33 installed fine without any problems on my G73JW.

There is a way to modify NVAM.inf file to force any drivers to install on your G73. First you need to find driver version that installs fine on your notebook. Check C:/NVIDIA/DisplayDriver/ - NVIDIA stores the installation files there. There should be "266.58" and "275.33" folders there. Go to 275.33/Vista 64-bit/International/Display.Driver/ and find "nvam.inf" file. Open the file with notepad, highlight and copy the first 10 lines. It should look like this:

; NVIDIA Windows Vista / Windows 7 (64 bit) Display INF file
; Copyright (c) NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
Provider = %NVIDIA%
ClassGUID = {4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Class = Display
DriverVer = 05/20/2011, 8.17.12.7533
CatalogFile = NV_DISP.CAT

Now go to to overwrite the old file and run Setup.exe located in 275.33/Vista 64-bit/International/.
266.58/Vista 64-bit/International/Display.Driver/ and open nvam.inf. Delete the first 10 lines and paste those copied from 275.33. Save file and copy it to 275.33/Vista 64-bit/International/Display.Driver/,
HERE is a link to the original instruction (the driver versions are different).

To sum it up: you need "nvam.inf" file from 266.58 (or any other that installs fine on your PC) with first 10 lines from 275.33's "nvam.inf". Place this file in 275.33/Vista 64-bit/International/Display.Driver/ folder and run Setup.exe.

If you don't want to risk by doing it yourself HERE is a link to Chastity's drivers - Verde 280.26 WHQL ModINF (08/13/11) - but it's 280.26, for some people it works fine but I've read that in some cases it may damage your card.

Chastity
Level 10
I cannot see how a driver set will damage a card. The firmware on the card will avoid anything like that.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
I have seen warnings on 280.26 on many websites (NVIDIA forums, MMO-Champions...). The main problem is GPU clock and voltage spikes when doing simple tasks such as browsing internet. As a result the fan keeps spinning up and down and the card's temperature is slightly higher.

Maybe this will not damage a card, but it certainly won't help, especially with an OC GPU.