cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formula VI hangs on shutdown 05 q code...

b7adb7ad
Level 7
Initially my computer was restarting most of the time when trying to shut it down. I disabled the shutdown on error thing as well as the regedit poweronshutdown from 0 to 1, even after that it sometimes still restarted but now it seems to just be hanging on shutdown with everything running still showing the 05 q code on the motherboard.

I have checked drivers and bios are up to date (they were) I have checked the eventviewer can't see anything there as far as I can tell. I have checked the power on LAN stuff in the BIOS as well as Windows. I have done selective boot slowly increasing processes running and thought I narrowed it down to the microsoft WWAN and WLAN drivers but then it still did it sometimes. I have done various other software related tests and the more I do the more random it seems.

Someone suggested it may be the pins in the motherboard connecting the power button in the case, but it's not that. Also tried unplugging certain USB devices and that doesn't seem to help either. I'm really fresh out of ideas!
13 REPLIES 13

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, b7adb7ad.

If you have the Intel RST software installed, please remove it and that should solve your restart problems.

Thanks! Wow that's a glimmer of hope for me Chino - I have it installed!

I am uninstalling I will be sure to report back with my findings.

Before posting here I of course read around in the forums (as well as everywhere on the damn internet) but I saw someone mention in a thread here about changing the CPU Core Ratio in the BIOS from sync all cores to Auto. I have done this too since they said it solved there problems. I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to this, do you think it's ok to do this? Or should I change it back and see if your suggestion fixes it alone?

Why do you think that RST software makes it do this apparently so sporadically?!

Thanks so much for your help.

Chino
Level 15
The latest versions of Intel RST have been buggy on the Maximus VI series motherboards causing them to restart when trying to shutdown within Windows.

Oh right I see. Well I performed a shut down and it shutdown fine. Also worth noting it shutdown much faster than it did prior. It almost seemed to 'hang up' when it successfully shutdown previously. I also thought I saw some error in the eventvwr the other day which from google searching seemed to pertain to some kind of basic level of disc activity function which could be related to Intel RST I assume. Anyway, I'll be sure to post here if it hasn't fixed it and it's just decided to shutdown properly. Thanks again you are awesome!

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please only do one thing at a time, that way we can eliminate variables.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Yeah this is true, thanks. It seems to have shutdown properly after uninstalling the RST software. I will leave it for a while and see if it plays up again, if not I will turn back the CPU Core Ratio in BIOS to All Cores and see if it still works. Thanks

HiVizMan
Level 40
All good buddy you do keep us informed.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
All good buddy you do keep us informed.

Will do! Thanks a lot for the help its really appreciated. I've been stressing all week trying everything as you can imagine!