cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RaidR Express Advice For A Newb!

Stogie
Level 7
So I have some questions for the pros about the proper install of the RaidR. The instructions it came with suck so Ive looked through most of the RaidR threads on the forums but am still confused as how I should do the install. First off my original plan for the RaidR was to have faster boot times then I currently have with my OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD. From what I now understand according to the forums I wont be able to take advantage of UEFI Boot cause I'm running Windows 7 Pro and not 8, Is this the case?
I also kinda gathered that it doesn't come from the factory with a Raid config set up and that I have to do it myself? So I guess the main question is , If you had the same set up as myself what would use the RaidR for? Then what would be the best way to set it up given my components. Any help or Ideas would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks, Stogie
My System
Asus Maximus VI Formula
Intel i7 4770k
Asus GeForce GTX 680 DCU II TOP
Corsair Dominator Platinum (4x4GB 16GB @ 2400MHz)
Asus RaidR Express 240GB
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
WD 500GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
15 REPLIES 15

Deon017
Level 8
Firstly install it using UEFI - thats half the battle won - yes you have to setup the card as its made for boards that have UEFI or don't - setup RAID0 - you have to setup the dive before using UEFI - in previous post they have good explanations and how to - will get the forum and post it for you - go to - RAIDR install finally working - think he gives a very good explanation and pics-

HiVizMan
Level 40
In legacy mode set up the RAID0

Then switch to UEFI mode and install OS to the RAIDR

My advice is do not have any other devices (storage) connected during the OS install process.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Boda08
Level 7
It sounds so simple but i just can't seem to get it to work, would the firmware update fix my prob? or is it some other setting in the bios that i've got wrong?
i7 4930k, Asus Rampage Extreme IV Black Edition, EVGA GTX 690, Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 2400Mhz, Asus ROG RAIDR 240GB, OCZ Vertex 4 240GB, Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, Corsair AX1200i, Corsair H100i, Win 8.1

Nodens
Level 16
Boda please list exactly what you have done. So we may be able to help you:)
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Boda08
Level 7
Ok, I've set the raid array to Raid 0 by ctr M while in legacy then after reboot i set it back to uefi. Secure boot is set to other OS and CSM is set to how the guide is pictured which is enabled. Once i start installing win 8.1 via uefi optical drive i get to advanced options and hit new, giving me the 4 different drives, then i choose the bottom drive which is the biggest. After the instal i reboot into bios the set my boot drive but there's is only the optical drive detected. I'll stay in this thread to Nodens to keep it simple.
i7 4930k, Asus Rampage Extreme IV Black Edition, EVGA GTX 690, Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 2400Mhz, Asus ROG RAIDR 240GB, OCZ Vertex 4 240GB, Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, Corsair AX1200i, Corsair H100i, Win 8.1

light123
Level 7
disable CSM. you should see Boot manager
ASUS ROG Maximus Extreme VI, i7 4770K, Corsair H110 Hydro, 16GB Corsair Dominator Plat, ASUS ROG RAIDR SSD 240gb, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, ASUS 248 144hz monior, Corsair TX750M PSU, Gigabyte GTX780 Windforce 3 GHZ edition, Razer Naga Hex mouse, Corsair K95 Keyboard.

Nodens
Level 16
Indeed try siabling CSM entirely. By 4 different drives you mean partitions I take it?
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Boda08
Level 7
Hey Light, i just follewed "RAIDR install finally working" thread to a tea. I could see boot manager & everything then i disabled CSM and shutdown my pc then enabled UEFI on the RAIDR. When i booted up it proceeded to boot from cd, after going into bios again the raidr and boot manager has gone. 2 things that pop to my mind are Firmware on the raidr and a problem with win 8.1? other than that I've got no idea. please persist with me 🙂

Nodens
Level 16
It's neither of those. UEFI on the RAIDR has to be switched prior to the installation of Windows.

Ok. Listen. First of all disconnect any other drives from your system. Leave only the RAIDR and the DVD-RW drive that has your installation media.

Since you have created your RAID-0 array via Ctrl-M, make sure the RAIDR is set to UEFI then follow the guide in my sig.

When you get to the partitioning stage, use the troubleshooting section and do the "clean" procedure. After that restart the installation according to the guide and do it eactly as it says and you'll be fine. Once the installation is done, connect any other drives you may have and make sure the UEFI is set to boot "Windows Boot Manager".

RealBench Developer.