Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75V Bios password reset?

RKPReid
Level 7
17 REPLIES 17

SHADO
Level 9
If you're willing to disassemble the laptop to locate the cmos battery, why not just replace the screen yourself? It's about a 15 minute job, and I'm betting much easier than getting to the cmos battery. Just sayin' (as MY new display should arrive next week). 🙂
ASUS G75VW
i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
GTX 660M (2GB)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB HDD
2TB HDD
Blu-ray Writer (Pana. UJ-260)

RKPReid
Level 7
Where did you order the pannel from?

SHADO
Level 9
http://www.screencountry.com/index.php?section=products&model=G75VW-BHI7N07&brand=ASUS

These will work for both the VW and VX G75s. I ordered the 4th one on the page because I want a glossy finish. The third one on the page would be a direct replacement for the one you have now (matte finish), unless your display is 3D capable. The first 2 on the page only have a resolution of 1600 x 1900, so skip those, unless you have the 1 model that uses them.

Here is a link to a tutorial on the replacement procedure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLDBUnTg4rw

Piece of cake. 🙂

Sorry I can't help you with the BIOS password issue. 😞
ASUS G75VW
i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
GTX 660M (2GB)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB HDD
2TB HDD
Blu-ray Writer (Pana. UJ-260)

GottiBoi55
Level 10
RKPReid wrote:
So I broke the screen on my laptop a while back and I'm going to format it to stock settings before I send it back in the hopes they'll fix it for a fee.

That said; I was trying to remove the BIOS password, and I thought hey "Load Optimized Defaults" would do it since going to change the admin password and then just hitting enter when it asked for the new password wasn't working; would be a good idea.

So now after rebooting I still get the BIOS password screen, but nothing works. I've tried the old password, leaving it blank, hitting space, admin, administrator, Password123 Etc.

The laptop isn't stolen, if I need to I'll go find my receipt if that's what it'll take for someone to tell me where the CMOS battery is on the inside or how to bypass/the default BIOS password (I don't think there is one).

Thank you.

Do you remember the new BIOS password you entered?
If not, or the new password don't work you can try this below!

This hopefully should work for you!

BIOS factory reset

1. Hold down Ctrl+Home
2. hit power button.
3. keep holding Ctrl+Home until you see "EZ-Flash" start.
4. Let EZ-Flash run (laptop will shut down automatically when it's finished)

This will downgrade BIOS back to factory setting
, and hopefully remove any passwords!

PS: when removing the BIOS passwords in the BIOS, all you needed to do was blank out all fields with a password, then after doing so hit "F10" which will ask you to "save and exit setup"

GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

RKPReid
Level 7
How long should it take before the ez-flash screen appears?

I hold the buttons; turn it on, but they keyboard doesn't light up and the screen doesn't turn on (the power button is illuminated and the fans are spinning)

(Where as if I hit just the power button alone it goes to the BIOS password screen)

PS: does it need a USB drive with the BIOS on it to flash?

So I got bored, ripped it apart. Removed the CMOS battery. But the BIOS has not reset.... I'm not sure how to proceed.

RKPReid wrote:
How long should it take before the ez-flash screen appears?

I hold the buttons; turn it on, but they keyboard doesn't light up and the screen doesn't turn on (the power button is illuminated and the fans are spinning)

(Where as if I hit just the power button alone it goes to the BIOS password screen)

PS: does it need a USB drive with the BIOS on it to flash?

You need to keep holding ctrl+home till you see EZ-Flash, takes about 15 to 20 seconds.
Ohhhhh yeah if you did a clean install of Windows this won't work!!!
Forgot to tell you that, this only works if the factory shipped OS with the original BIOS BAT file is still intact!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

RKPReid
Level 7
I haven't formatted the computer at all; so it "should" work. But thus far has not.

I've removed the CMOS battery and it still boots every time and asks for the BIOS password. I'm perplexed.

I'll let it sit overnight and see what happens.

When removing the CMOS all power to the system should be disconnected too. This means keeping battery removed and also the power cord. and when everything is removed including the CMOS battery, hold the power on button for 10 seconds then you can reassemble.