cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive voltage not available?

Odaik
Level 7
Hello,

I have a stable system using offset voltage settings on the CPU cache and core. Now, I'm trying to use adaptive voltage instead after having read up on the benefits. However, in the system BIOS, adaptive voltage is not available to select as an option on either the core or the cache. All I get is "manual" and "offset".

Is this feature only available to certain models of CPU or have I made a slip somewhere?

I'm using the Asus Gryphon Z87 with the Intel i5 4440 CPU.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

HiVizMan
Level 40
I do not even know if that is supported on your motherboard to be honest I have looked at the product page (do not have one of those boards) and did not see any mention of that feature.

Will try and find out for you.

What bios version are you on?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Chino
Level 15

Odaik
Level 7
Thanks for your responses guys.

I am on the BIOS the board shipped with, will have to get back to you on which version it actually is - I think it is 1206 though.

Isn't the adaptive voltage function a standard feature with Haswell? Would've thought a premium board like the Gryphon would come with it.

The BIOS does make mention of it in the descriptive text for the voltage mode selection box, but it just isn't available to actually choose.

Chino
Level 15
Well, I would guess so too but there was no mention of the Adaptive option in the user manual. And unfortunately, I don't have that motherboard to test it for you. Perhaps HVM has one lying around.

But I wonder if your CPU has anything to do with it not showing up. Perhaps adaptive mode isn't available for non k processors. But that's just a wild guess though. lol

Chino wrote:
But I wonder if your CPU has anything to do with it not showing up. Perhaps adaptive mode isn't available for non k processors. But that's just a wild guess though. lol

I would think this is exactly the issue. Adaptive mode uses the stock VID curve until the default turbo speed is exceeded. When the CPU frequency exceeds the default speed the voltage value set for adaptive is used for the VID curve. I would think without an unlocked CPU that adaptive voltage would not be available as it would serve no purpose.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Trying to think which other brands of motherboard have adaptive? Not really sure if it is a Haswell thing or a ASUS thing but I do not know for sure.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

This guys seems to have the same motherboard, and is able to use adaptive voltage:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/62267-adaptive-voltage.html

Is there any chance anyone from Asus frequents these boards and would be able to shed some light on this issue?

Regarding offset mode, can you confirm if the entire voltage curve is simply translated up or down by a fixed amount or will the offset be proportional to the original voltage? For example, my system is stable with -0.15V offset. So does this take 0.15V off of the load voltage and also 0.15V off of the idle voltage?

Odaik
Level 7
The guy whose forum post I linked to does have a 'K' edition unlocked CPU, so you may be right.

I was planning on buying this board again for another system which I plan to overclock, so I'd need to find out for sure. If I contact Asus technical support through the main website, will they be able to confirm the presence of such a specific feature?