cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Some Help, At My Wits End With Faulty G75VW

Badnews
Level 7
Greetings, all.

This is my first post, and it is basically a desperation attempt to get someone at ASUS to either fix my G75VW or replace it with something equivalent, or return my money.

I originally purchased this unit in 8/2011, immediately before I had to leave home for a long work assignment in another location. Almost immediately after buying the machine, it began freezing at random times. I did all the usual things such as updating drivers, fresh install of Windows 7, etc., but nothing seemed to work. I also tried Windows 8 at some point in my attempts to fix the problem, but that did not work either.

Since I had no other computer with me, I was unable to return it for warranty service until 8/2012. Since that time, I have returned it to them twice. Below is what I sent to them with the unit on the second return:

RMA# USG939xxxx
Purchased 8/28/12 from Newegg.com
Serial No: ************255
Description of Problem:
Computer freezes randomly with no discernible pattern. Sometimes it will run for several hours with no problem, sometimes it will freeze within 30 minutes of booting up. I have had it freeze while performing almost every task imaginable: while playing games (BF3, BO2, Microsoft Solitaire), while watching DVD or Blu-Ray disks, while working in Microsoft Word and Excel, while browsing the internet with IE or Chrome, and from the metro start screen when the computer is not is use (next time I try and unlock it is frozen). On some of the freeze events, random sounds will be emitted from the speakers. On some of the freeze events the system will freeze, then turn itself completely off (just like the power switch had been pressed). These events have been occurring since I purchased the machine. I would have sent it in for service before now except for being on the road and needing it for travel.
Only way to recover from one of these freeze events is to shut down the computer by holding the power button down and then turn the computer on again.

This machine is currently useless to me as I cannot trust it to remain online while I am doing anything that I don’t want to lose.
I have wiped the hard disk and reinstalled windows 7 and all software and drivers. When that did not work, I then updated to windows 8 and reinstalled all software and drivers, the freeze events persisted.
As reinstalls of operating systems and drivers have not fixed the problem I suspect I have a hardware problem of some sort. Please repair. Thanks for your assistance. Call me at the number listed below if you need any additional information.

Additional information: Computer was sent back to you for service the first time per RMA USG938xxxx. Received back on 8/30/13. The repair appeared to consist of replacing the secondary hard disk (used only for data, no OS files on it) and reimaging the primary hard disk to the original ASUS image. The problem reoccurred almost immediately upon using the computer again, and has continued to occur at a random frequency. So far it has frozen > 10 times in a couple of days, including last night when it was applying MS updates and shutting down. In many cases, the freeze is also accompanied by buzzing noises from the speakers, which lead me to believe this is a video/audio hardware problem. On two of the occasions, when I did nothing after the freeze, the machine shut itself down completely with no action on my part. I would recommend any graphic intensive task as a good stress test, although I have had it lock up while doing non-graphically intensive things so who knows. Again, if you have any questions, call me at the number listed below.
I look forward to receiving a repaired unit. Thanks for your assistance.

After receiving the unit back from the second repair, during which the motherboard and video card were replaced things appeared to be better. I did not have freeze episodes right away, although occasionally the unit appeared to stop working but I could still see the mouse pointer moving. After 30 seconds or so, the system seemed to respond again. However, over the last couple of days, the unit has started the freezing episodes again.

If anyone from Asus is monitoring this forum, I would appreciate some assistance with this problem. Quite frankly, I currently own a $2000 paperweight, as I cannot use this computer for any important task due to the likelihood of losing my work at an inopportune moment.

I will pursue another RMA, but it does not seem like I am going to have much success with the RMA process unless I get some help from someone at ASUS that can actually get this problem fixed. Contact me at the email address associated with my forum account or send me a PM here if this site has such technology.

HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

Bob
23 REPLIES 23

Clintlgm
Level 14
1. Unless you have an extended Warranty, you seem to be expired 2013-08?

2. I suggest you PM cl-albert he is our customer loyalty reprehensive. He can help you resolve this if it can be resolved at all
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
1. Unless you have an extended Warranty, you seem to be expired 2013-08?

2. I suggest you PM cl-albert he is our customer loyalty reprehensive. He can help you resolve this if it can be resolved at all

While I don't have an extended warranty, I was told that I had 90 days after a repair (which this is) for recurrence of the same problem. I will try pming the person you suggest. Thanks.

Badnews wrote:
While I don't have an extended warranty, I was told that I had 90 days after a repair (which this is) for recurrence of the same problem. I will try pming the person you suggest. Thanks.

Well after doing all that, you should make sure that Asus service installs a new primary drive with factory fresh OS installed on it and new CPU!

Looks like they repaired everything else, but the two items I have mentioned!

All the best of luck to you my friend!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:

Well after doing all that, you should make sure that Asus service installs a new primary drive with factory fresh OS installed on it and new CPU!

Looks like they repaired everything else, but the two items I have mentioned!

All the best of luck to you my friend!

Thanks very much. I am not sure if they replaced the memory either, that could also be the problem. I will indeed try and push in that direction at a minimum.

Badnews wrote:
Thanks very much. I am not sure if they replaced the memory either, that could also be the problem. I will indeed try and push in that direction at a minimum.

Yes could be that too!

Chino wrote:
Did you run Memtest86+ on your RAM before sending it in? And if you still have your laptop, download and run that utility to test your RAM for any defective sticks. If you've never used that program before, I have a short guide in my signature to help you along the way.

I agree!

see symptom 2
5 Symptoms of a RAM Problem
GottiBoi55
Asus
Samsung
SanDisk
p Aquos 32"

ASUSTeK uses a third party for their factory service repairs. It is the same facility Toshiba uses.

I own a G75VW that has been plagued with blue screen issues since day 1. I have sent it back twice under warranty, listing PFN_LIST_CORRUPT as one of the blue screen errors. They sent it back with a new HDD. Within 15 minutes of setup, guess what? you guessed it, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT again.

I outlined all the information necessary for them to replace the RAM due to my diagnostics and as well as the common sense of the error. With factory OS and drivers, that rules out driver error.

When it was sent back for the second RMA, the Repair Center .... you guessed it... replaced the HDD AGAIN! So the question is, did they install a faulty HDD the first RMA? If so, they missed it with their diagnostics, or didn't perform them the first time. After 20 minutes with ASUS Live Update performed when I received it back (RMA 2), it had another blue screen: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.

Now I am livid because they repeated the same repair twice, ignoring both my notes on the RMA and the ASUSTeK N.A. support representative's notes on the RMA. Not only that, but the notebook came back with some nominal physical damage after the first RMA.

I have requested a new G75VW equivalent or better, and that they send mine back to the repair center and when it is repaired some unknown time in the future, they can sell it to a refurbish retailer / secondary retail channel.

I believe that ASUS cares, and they care about their reputation; however, this proves that their Factory Service Center (third party) could not care less.

I, too, would love ASUS to reach out to me with a resolution.

Best of Luck to you; let us know what happens!

SHADO
Level 9
FWIW, a friend of mine had a G74 with an extended warranty. It was RMA'd so many times, that they finally gave him a brand spanking new G750 just a couple months ago to replace the faulty G74.
ASUS G75VW
i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
GTX 660M (2GB)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB HDD
2TB HDD
Blu-ray Writer (Pana. UJ-260)

SHADO wrote:
FWIW, a friend of mine had a G74 with an extended warranty. It was RMA'd so many times, that they finally gave him a brand spanking new G750 just a couple months ago to replace the faulty G74.

WOW, now that's like Sh*t, that comes out smelling like Roses!
LMAO
He made out like a bandit with a G750!!!!
GottiBoi55
Asus
Samsung
SanDisk
p Aquos 32"

SHADO wrote:

I know, hey? I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Still like the glossy display on his G74 better, though (why I'm replacing my G75's display). Just wanted to relate the story to the OP to let him know that despite all the pain and inconvenience of all the RMAs, ASUS will eventually make good, by either finally curing the problem, or replacing his laptop (as long as it's still under warranty, of course).
ASUS G75VW
i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
GTX 660M (2GB)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB HDD
2TB HDD
Blu-ray Writer (Pana. UJ-260)