cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Matrix HD 7970 Platinum - How I fixed artifacting and corrupted pixels

wieniec17
Level 7
Hello, I have been an owner of ROG Asus HD 7970 Matrix Platinum for nearly a month and I have encountered artifacting and corrupted pixel problems, that seem to be common as I went through these forums. I had the problems on Windows 7 with older motherboard and CPU and also on newer system with Windows 8/8.1.

Corrupted pixel problem could happen even while working on desktop in Windows 7/8/8.1. Artifacting was happening in 3d D11 games, especially Battlefield 3.

My current system spec is as following:
MoBo: ROG Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU: AMD FX 9370
PSU: OCZ ZX Series 1250W (12V rail max output at 104A)

OK, let's get to the point.

After updating Windows 8 to 8.1, downloading the latest beta drivers for AMD graphics (13.11 betaV6), latest Asus GPU Tweak 2.4.7.0 I tweaked the voltages on the graphics card. I focused on decreasing the voltages as following:

GPU voltage set to 1213 mV
VDDCI voltage set to 855 mV
Memory voltage set to 1569 mV

After running those settings, games likes Battlefield 3 run flawlessly. No artifacting, no corrupted pixels. Benchmarks Heaven and Furmark run glitchless as well.

Hope it helps you guys.

Gonna see how Battlefield 4 runs on those settings and maybe I will get other GPU like this one to crossfire it instead of RMA'ing it in favor of getting GTX780 instead 🙂
11 REPLIES 11

heichalot
Level 7
wieniec17 wrote:

GPU voltage set to 1213 mV
VDDCI voltage set to 855 mV
Memory voltage set to 1569 mV

actually, it is ok to leave the gpu voltage and vddci at stock values.

it is the memory voltage that causes the issue.
however, when you reduce the voltage, you should reduce the clock value accordingly as well.
I would recommend memory clock 6268 with 1520 memory voltage.

putting voltage way below what the actual clock speed required, could cause you another drama;
-screen shutting down and then "one of your amd display has got an error and windows has recovered it" (or something similar)
-game crashes

you may not see much artifact for now using your values, because you are testing it on BF3. BF3 is not really a graphic demanding game, which is why it is not sensitive when you reduce the card voltage.
however, when you encounter a more..."gpu killer" game or "memory hungry" game, (such as hitman abs, sleeping dogs, far cry 3, and suprisingly dota 2 lol) you will have screen distortion and more checkboard artifacts.

cheers
Aristo, an Enthusiast Gamer
Play on Steam? Add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/heichalot/

"Everytime my setting passes HyperPi or Prime95, I get a boner"
-me

LG 60UN5400 Asus Rampage V Extreme Intel i7-5930k Haswell-E Kingston HyperX DDR4 2800 16Gb (4x4)
Asus RoG Ares II no. 789 & 179 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Kraken x60 Bose Companion 5 Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G13 Corsair K95 Logitech G500 Logitech HD Pro C920 Coolermaster Haf X

heichalot wrote:
actually, it is ok to leave the gpu voltage and vddci at stock values.

it is the memory voltage that causes the issue.
however, when you reduce the voltage, you should reduce the clock value accordingly as well.
I would recommend memory clock 6268 with 1520 memory voltage.

putting voltage way below what the actual clock speed required, could cause you another drama;
-screen shutting down and then "one of your amd display has got an error and windows has recovered it" (or something similar)
-game crashes

you may not see much artifact for now using your values, because you are testing it on BF3. BF3 is not really a graphic demanding game, which is why it is not sensitive when you reduce the card voltage.
however, when you encounter a more..."gpu killer" game or "memory hungry" game, (such as hitman abs, sleeping dogs, far cry 3, and suprisingly dota 2 lol) you will have screen distortion and more checkboard artifacts.

cheers

Thanks for the response. 🙂 I will consider your advice when something goes wrong again. Meanwhile I wait for Battlefied 4 release. Thanks again.

Skarpretter
Level 7
I fixed mine as well, it was artifacting badly. My matrix platinum was hitting 100 degrees at stock speed in my Corsair 800D computer case, which is very bad for air cooling.

I removed the gpu cooler and after a closer look i unscrewed the black plastic cover just like on the picture below. I was hoping it would improve airflow and at same time lower the needed fan speed. I cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and applied a thin layer of noctua nt-h1 termal paste. Now the card peaks at 79c at default speeds with fans on auto in Gpu tweak 2.2.8.1. I bet I lost my warranty in the process, but I'm very happy with the result. Now it's quiet in comparison and no more artifacts 🙂

Skarpretter wrote:
I fixed mine as well, it was artifacting badly. My matrix platinum was hitting 100 degrees at stock speed in my Corsair 800D computer case, which is very bad for air cooling.

I removed the gpu cooler and after a closer look i unscrewed the black plastic cover just like on the picture below. I was hoping it would improve airflow and at same time lower the needed fan speed. I cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and applied a thin layer of noctua nt-h1 termal paste. Now the card peaks at 79c at default speeds with fans on auto in Gpu tweak 2.2.8.1. I bet I lost my warranty in the process, but I'm very happy with the result. Now it's quiet in comparison and no more artifacts 🙂

removing the plastic cover indeed gives better aircooling and much quieter (no longer air whispers between plastic gap),

but 100c on stock value is indeed high
Aristo, an Enthusiast Gamer
Play on Steam? Add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/heichalot/

"Everytime my setting passes HyperPi or Prime95, I get a boner"
-me

LG 60UN5400 Asus Rampage V Extreme Intel i7-5930k Haswell-E Kingston HyperX DDR4 2800 16Gb (4x4)
Asus RoG Ares II no. 789 & 179 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Kraken x60 Bose Companion 5 Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G13 Corsair K95 Logitech G500 Logitech HD Pro C920 Coolermaster Haf X

Zka17
Level 16
If you guys are taking off the plastic from the Matrix heatsink, you may want to explore adding bigger fans too...

I have used the Matrix cooling solution on an other card, but it may work on the Matrix too - check here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20047-The-Chronicle-of-My-TestBench&p=306016&viewfull=1#pos...

HI all this driver working for me OK windows 7 (64) windows 8 (64) test and NO ARTEFACT only Win 8.1 (64)
stop working (driver) try:

http://sendfile.pl/85020/AMD_VGADriv...64_VER9_02.rar

Asus HD 7970 Matrix Platinum GPU in Crossfire - Top card hitting 90 degrees

Hi guys, here's my spec

Asus M5A99FX Pro 2.0 Motherboard
AMD FX 8350 CPU
Antec Kuhler 920 CPU Cooler
16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz RAM
2 x Asus HD 7970 Matrix Platinum GPU
OCZ ZX 1000W PSU
2x OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD (OS and Games)
1x Maxtor 1TB HDD (Main File Storage)
3x Seagate 3TB HDD Media Storage)
Antec Lanboy Air Case
27 Asus VE276Q LCD Monitor

When I play BF3 or use furmark, my top card goes well into the 90's, lower will stay around 68, I've switched the cards around, so I know its not the actual card. It must be the setup, there isn't much space between the two cards, so I am guessing that's the reason. I do have side panel fans by the cards and have experimented them both as intake and exhaust, no difference. Ambient room temp it around 22degrees.

I spent around £540 getting them 6 months ago and have someone who wants to buy them both for £500, I have been up front and told him the issues I have had, but he is happy to buy them. I was looking at getting an ASUS 290X Direct II OC edition to replace them.

Do you guys think that I should, or should I investigate more into sorting out the heating issues.

Please advise, thanks

Zka17
Level 16
Those cards are simply too close to each other... the top one is getting the hot air from the back of the bottom one...

Have you tried a single card in the top slot? Just simple remove the bottom one - will the temps go down?