cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling onboard VGA/iGPU

Odaik
Level 7
Hello,

I have a Haswell build based on the Asus Gryphon Z87 and an Intel i5 4440.

As I will be using a discrete graphics card, I am looking at how to disable the onboard VGA/integrated GPU on the Intel CPU - so as to save power and also minimise and potential software/driver conflicts.

Unfortunately, I can't find the option to do this in the BIOS. All I've found are options to select the primary display output (set to PCIe Graphics) and Multi-Monitor Mode (disabled).

Another Haswell MoBo I have experience with (a Gigabyte model) has the option to specifically disable the onboard VGA - is this feature missing from the Gryphon?

I do find it annoying that with the latest generations of mainstream performance Intel CPUs we are forced to take the onboard VGA (which was previously only really common with budget/business solutions) - but if I can disable it then I guess it's not an issue!

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15

Odaik
Level 7
So choosing disable for the "iGPU Multi-Monitor" option on the System Agent configuration page will achieve the same thing as the "disable onboard VGA" option on other boards?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello

Once you have your discrete VGA do the following.

Fit the VGA

Connect the power cables.

Clear CMOS to restore factory defaults.

In bios set PCIe as default

No more IGP

F10 and enter
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Odaik
Level 7
Thanks, I have done this. Can you confirm that this actually disables the iGPU/onboard VGA or does it simply shut off the output?

HiVizMan
Level 40
It disables it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.