ROG Enthusiast Array

Disabling onboard VGA/iGPU

Hello,

I have a Haswell build based on the Asus Gryphon Z87 and an Intel i5 4440.

As I will be using a discrete graphics card, I am looking at how to disable the onboard VGA/integrated GPU on the Intel CPU - so as to save power and also minimise and potential software/driver conflicts.

Unfortunately, I can't find the option to do this in the BIOS. All I've found are options to select the primary display output (set to PCIe Graphics) and Multi-Monitor Mode (disabled).

Another Haswell MoBo I have experience with (a Gigabyte model) has the option to specifically disable the onboard VGA - is this feature missing from the Gryphon?

I do find it annoying that with the latest generations of mainstream performance Intel CPUs we are forced to take the onboard VGA (which was previously only really common with budget/business solutions) - but if I can disable it then I guess it's not an issue!

Thanks!

ROG Enthusiast Array

So choosing disable for the "iGPU Multi-Monitor" option on the System Agent configuration page will achieve the same thing as the "disable onboard VGA" option on other boards?

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Hello

Once you have your discrete VGA do the following.

Fit the VGA

Connect the power cables.

Clear CMOS to restore factory defaults.

In bios set PCIe as default

No more IGP

F10 and enter
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thanks, I have done this. Can you confirm that this actually disables the iGPU/onboard VGA or does it simply shut off the output?

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

It disables it.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.