cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently bought an G750JX-TB71 questions about installing ssd?

btrulez
Level 7
Hi, I recently bought an Asus ROG G750JX-TB71 and i'm planning on popping in an 840 Pro SSD in the other free empty drive space. I'm wondering if the accessories I need to mount and install it are included with the laptop or if i need to make separate purchases.

Another thing is if the laptop includes an installation disk of windows 8 i can use to install it in the SSD once i pop it in?
32 REPLIES 32

reka121402
Level 7
I recently make the exact upgrade you are about to do yourself, 256GB 840 pro. Installation was a breeze:
1) Use Asus backtracker to clone the current HD onto a usb stick (8GB)
2) Power down, turn laptop over, pop out battery and open HDD/SDD compartment by unscrewing the small phillips screw and popping the cover off.
3) Remove old HDD and put new SSD in the other bay using the Asus provided bracket already in your laptop. HOWEVER, if you did what I did and didn't realize the extra screws needed to attach the new SSD to the drive bracket were taped to the inside of your laptop packaging box, then you probably threw it away. You will then need to remove 2 of the 4 from the HDD bracket and use those, or purchase new ones.
4) Reinstall HDD/SDD bay cover, reinstall battery, power on with usb stick inserted in the laptop.
5) let asus backtracker do it's thing.
6) Once all is finished, reinstall HDD back where it came from and power the laptop back on. Mine started from the SSD no problem, but I did need to do and extra shutdown/restart for Windows to see the HDD in the other bay (seems to be a normal issue).
7) format HDD in Windows and you're all set

crap, will a 4gb usb work? how big are these files i have to transfer over/

reka121402 wrote:
I recently make the exact upgrade you are about to do yourself, 256GB 840 pro. Installation was a breeze:
1) Use Asus backtracker to clone the current HD onto a usb stick (8GB)
2) Power down, turn laptop over, pop out battery and open HDD/SDD compartment by unscrewing the small phillips screw and popping the cover off.
3) Remove old HDD and put new SSD in the other bay using the Asus provided bracket already in your laptop. HOWEVER, if you did what I did and didn't realize the extra screws needed to attach the new SSD to the drive bracket were taped to the inside of your laptop packaging box, then you probably threw it away. You will then need to remove 2 of the 4 from the HDD bracket and use those, or purchase new ones.
4) Reinstall HDD/SDD bay cover, reinstall battery, power on with usb stick inserted in the laptop.
5) let asus backtracker do it's thing.
6) Once all is finished, reinstall HDD back where it came from and power the laptop back on. Mine started from the SSD no problem, but I did need to do and extra shutdown/restart for Windows to see the HDD in the other bay (seems to be a normal issue).
7) format HDD in Windows and you're all set

I am just now preparing to install a Samsung 840 EVO - 250 GB SSD into my G750 JX-TB71 and must say you make it sound SO simple with your 7 steps!

I did have a couple of quick questions, if you please could be of some assistance I'd greatly appreciate it. 😮

1st...I accidentally ordered the 840 EVO DESKTOP kit rather than the NOTEBOOK/LAPTOP kit. The primary differences seem to be that you get a bracket (which I won't need) a SATA power cable, a USB 2.0 to SATA cable, along with the Samsung software disks. I would've gotten the USB 3.0 to SATA cable in the notebook kit instead. My question is, and I've looked this up but just want to make sure, the SSD's themselves though are EXACTLY THE SAME, right??? AND, looking back, I could've even just bought the single unit version with JUST the SSD and don't even need the rest - Is THAT correct?

Finally, mine came with the 750GB HDD @ 7200rpm which I'm pleased with. HOWEVER, the drive itself is divided up into a C:\ OS partition, several volumes within the partition (restore?), and then a D:\ DATA partition basically cutting the drive in 1/2 between C and D....is this the way yours was when you did your SSD install? And if so, which part did you clone? Because from the looks of what I'm seeing there's nothing there that's JUST 8GB. Which of these am I to be cloning exactly? (of the 750GB I'd say nearly 50GB is already taken.)

Any further advice on this topic, once again would be highly regarded.

Thank you!

P.S. I hope I got most of the language right here, but you get the idea of what I'm saying. Sorry about that! 🙂

reka121402
Level 7
you need an 8GB stick. lol, you own a $1500 laptop, go spend $10 at walmart and do it right.

btrulez
Level 7
isn't there 2 HD/SSD compartments with 1 empty compartment when i get the laptop?

btrulez wrote:
isn't there 2 HD/SSD compartments with 1 empty compartment when i get the laptop?

It depends on your particular model (TB71). Mine came with 2 500gb drives, others come with ssd + hdd combo. Some may come with one 1 drive and 1 empty bay, I don't know.

btrulez wrote:

villiansv wrote:
It depends on your particular model (TB71). Mine came with 2 500gb drives, others come with ssd + hdd combo. Some may come with one 1 drive and 1 empty bay, I don't know.

The other configuration to consider is that if you got RAID'd SSD Boot on a G750JH, your SSD's are M.2 NGFF SATA drives both in 1 bay, leaving the other bay for a standard 2.5" SATA drive.

I think that means you need to stick with Msata drives for 1 bay, and you only have 1 normal 2.5" SATA bay to work with. IDK if the dual M.2 NGFF SATA bay can be converted to a standard Sata Bay, but I don't think so...(it can't)

villiansv
Level 11
He has a JX though, which means no msata drives :). But yeah, you're right.

If only there was an official site/thread will all possible configurations explained by model #... relying on online retailers' descriptions is iffy.

villiansv wrote:
He has a JX though, which means no M.2 NGFF SATA drives :). But yeah, you're right.
If only there was an official site/thread will all possible configurations explained by model #... relying on online retailers' descriptions is iffy.

Asus only has all the options listed for a feature category, not how they are assembled into specific models, it is frustrating.

I know that the JH dual M.2 NGFF SATA config is a bit of a gotcha for me, as I would have liked to swap in 2 full sized SATA SSD's - but I am now going to need to update the dual M.2 NGFF SATA 128's to dual 512's, and put my 512GB in another bay - instead of getting a 1TB SSD and keeping my 512GB.

I wonder if someone is going to make 1TB M.2 NGFF SATA drives? 🙂

Update: edited to change the incorrect msata references to what the G750 has, the M.2 NGFF SATA form factor.