cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gene VI vs Gryphon Networking and Audio solutions

Stennan
Level 7
Hello,

I'm considering getting either the Gene VI or the Gryphon and shoving it into the Silverstone Sugo SG10 together with a intel K processor and the AMD R9-290 (non X) etc... I like the fact that the Gryphon has 6 fan connectors which will allow me to individually control all fans in the SG10 compared to the Gene VI 4 connectors.

However the audio and networking solutions are the only components that i'm struggling with finding a solution that fits me. I would like to keep the door open to stream 1080p to my tv and If Valves SteamOS takes off it would be nice to have good enough bandwidth to do so flawlessly. I'm not an audiophile, but i do have a set of 300$ stereo speakers which i from time to time like to listen to. Mostly i'll be Gaming and watching movies with stereo speakers or a fairly cheap headset, but if AMDs true audio takes off i might invest in a 5:1 headset or speakersystem. True audio is processed at the GPU and then passed to the Audiocard so having a good card will still give me benefits.

The Gryphon is the more bare bone MB, using the Realtek alc892 compared to the Realtek alc1150 on the Gene VI. Will i get any benefits going to the Gene VI for the uses described above? A dedicated sound card would be nice, but since the new AMD cards seem to be toasty I'm reluctant to use the other PCIE slots since the SG10 is a very small case and i would like to keep it as quiet as possible.

When it comes to networking thing become a bit more complicated, currently using ADSL with a netgear N-router at around 10 Mbits with a possible Lan connection at 100 Mbits in the coming year so almost any wifi solution will saturate that connection. However streaming games and movies to my tv or maybe setting up a NAS would be nice so the question is what network solution will work best. The Gryphon lacks any miniPCIe connection so the options there are as follows:

• ASUS USB N53/AC53 for 40$/80$
  • Intel 7260 in the PCIe slot using an adapter for 30$+10$
  • ASUS PCE-AC68 110$

Since the Gene already has room for the intel 7260 so that is 30$ + antennas which i reckon i can get on ebay for around 10$

Another benefit with the intel AC-card is WiDi but windows 8.1 supports miracast. Tricky question knowing if which is better in terms of latancy. THe AC68 obviously is the best solution, but it will take up a PCIe slot which might starve the GPUs airflow causing more noise which i'm trying to reduce.

The price difference between the Gryphon and the Gene VI is 165$ vs 215$. Other then saving me some Pcie slots the Gryphon does all every thing that i need but the question is if the Gene has more to offer in with regards to networking and audio.

Thanks in advance
Stennan
6 REPLIES 6

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forum, Stennan.

I can understand the dilemma you're in right now. It's hard to choose between two great motherboards. Quality wise, both are on par. The Maximus VI Gene is more oriented to gamers. it's a motherboard that holds a lot of ROG exclusive goodies that gamers adore.

Stennan
Level 7
Thanks for the response Chino. I'll try and move my question to a networking forum and see if i get a better response. Not in a hurry anyway, will wait and see how the custom 290s perform noise wise.

Stennan wrote:
Thanks for the response Chino. I'll try and move my question to a networking forum and see if i get a better response. Not in a hurry anyway, will wait and see how the custom 290s perform noise wise.

Hello Stennan,

I'm in exactly the same position, both with what you are trying to achieve and with the parts you are choosing between, including to music situation.

Where did you move your networking question to as I should be very interested to follow it please?

Thanks,

JC

Jc rider wrote:
Hello Stennan,

I'm in exactly the same position, both with what you are trying to achieve and with the parts you are choosing between, including to music situation.

Where did you move your networking question to as I should be very interested to follow it please?

Thanks,

JC

didn't follow through. I would reccomend overclock.net (there is a network sub-forum) or http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ for questions regarding networking.

Thanks Stennan,

Did you end up buying the parts in the end? If so, what did you go for and are you happy with the result?

JC

Not yet, but i'm leaning towards the gene. I think having an intel wifi card might be beneficial in terms of getting miracast working and the gene har a mini PCIe slot ready to use. The headphones i have are kind of cheap so maybe the integrated sound card will proably do for me. the price difference in sweden is only 30$ thanks to a rebate on the gene.