Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Myk SilentShadow View Post
    I am in LOVE with this build!!! and hey, you should get Sam drunk more often, that Skeleton is deadly wicked!! amazing job to the both of you
    I know I've considered buying him beer, but he has expensive tastes. The effects are worth the cost though. Thanks everyone for your kind words. I wasn't even aware there was a Modding section to this forum until they started the Rush for Gold contest. I thought how convenient! I already have one of those boards in my case. Hopefully this build will do well, there are a few other real nice builds there. I wish I had some better pictures to put in the contest, but when it started, I had the case in pieces fixing some issues with the water cooling fit. when you do all this crazy modding things don't always fit like you planned and you just have to work it out. It wouldn't be any fun if it was easy! I'll post more tonight, I just got home. Thanks again guys!

ROG Enthusiast Array

I needed to properly trim in the 480 MnpcTech OverKill Grill. The problem is that there are angles in the factory grill cover. My solution was to flip the factory grill upside down. This required some case Massacre and sanding down one side of the one of a kind 480 grill. In Modding there is nothing like the rush of cutting into expensive parts. Commitment!

You can see how much the factory grill overlaps the fans. Flipping the grill gets rid of most of the angle.
    The starting cuts are ruff, there is very little margin for error because the grill is thin in places.

Sanding an angle on this grill was probably the scariest part. Because I had to pay to get the CAD work done to make this grill, it cost almost as much as the case. It was essential to get the look we wanted.

Little victory's are what life's is about. I was glad I could work that out. I wasn't really sure if it would work, but I just committed to the plan and I was rewarded again. Yes ha ha

I really wish I had one of these! when I was a kid, I played my first pinball machine and started winning all these free games. I was hooked after that!

Last edited by onevoicewild; 10-30-2013 at 01:18 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

MnpcTech is building a test bench for Frozen CPU and they used some mesh that I had never seen before.
    I had to have some! what I finally decided to do with the slotted mesh was put two layers behind the mother board.
    The back layer is painted Gold and the front layer is highly polished Aluminum. I just slightly offset the layers
    for maximum effect. To avoid Mother board smoke I made an Acrylic layer to cover directly underneath the board.

I trimmed the grommets to fit, because of the thickness of the multiple layers.

This is why we ware safety glasses !

Welcome to my wind farm

Unfortunately the paint on the mini saw blades wasn't right, so I had to remove the old paint first.
    I finally came up with a good system using a drill and leather gloves to minimize the bleeding.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I wanted to cover up the drive bays and this is what I came up with.

I put a track in the top and bottom so I could slid things in and out for maintenance.

This picture is a bit of an optical allusion, because the acrylic is so reflective. I eventually had to dull it down. There is enough shiny stuff in here already.

I ended up making this in two pieces. I'll be damned if I can remember why, but I asure you there was a good reason. lol

ROG Enthusiast Array

Oh yes Thank you Corsair

The rest of my care package from Corsair Had arrived!
    They really stepped up for us. I wasn't 100% sure what they
    had sent and had to open all of it up before I even got home.

These water cooling builds take fans and more fans!

I was a Corsair fan boy before they ever sponsored us. So to get support from my favorite company was Incredible. I have lusted after all of this hardware and now it is sitting in my living room. COOL !

ROG Enthusiast Array

Some of the most Important parts of my plans are going on right here. I needed to cover the whole front of the case so I would have room to mount the Metallica Emblem I had made. The way Corsair made the front fan cover to be easily detachable, allowed me to attach a full cover diamond plate and the grill to it. This covers all the drive bays, but still allows me occasional access when necessary. We really had trouble finding some acceptable diamond plate. Most of the ones you see online are just rendered stock photo's and are not really available. I had to weather the plate like I did to the 360 grill to get a look that was suitable for the build.

I cut, prepped and epoxied the rest of the Diamond plate on the other areas of the case. This Diamond plate is anozized Aluminum plate and not some Di -Noc like you normally see. This allowed me to polish the exposed Aluminum.

It's feels so good to get to the point where the case is looking like the rendering in the background that was done months before this picture was taken.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Asus Gold Z87 Deluxe Dual. The Minute I saw the new boards I knew it was perfect for The Metallica Build. It's an Awesome Asus board and the Gold color Is just what I was looking for. With the Rush to Gold contest starting in October some people are buying budget versions of the board and putting them in existing builds, just to get into the contest. I bought the flagship Z87 model in September long before the contest ever started. I ended up being the very first one to enter because I had already chosen Asus for my case Mod.

This really Is an incredible Mother Board In the Asus tradition. I don't need a 5ghz overclock and this board has some major connectivity options that better suit my personal needs. Please come and vote for your favorite Mod on November 12th thru 25th. http://www.asus.com/microsite/2013/M...tion/home.aspx they are giving away booty to random voters.

ROG Enthusiast Array

The factory mounting position for the front fans was to deep in the cast to get the fans up in the grills like I needed. Originally I was going to extend the mounts to push the fans, up against the grill. That Idea was a little to convoluted for me, so I finally decided to mount the fans directly to the front cover. This ended up working out well, because when I take the front off, it gives me full access to the inside components.

I made a mid plate for the mother board area out of the diamond plate. The black Acrylic was just to shiny and this looked better.

This will give me good hiding places for some of the uglier parts, wires and stuff. I drilled and tapped threads in to a lot of parts so they can be removed as needed. Not sure what it is, but I just like making threads, seems solid!

I also covered the back of the case with the weathered plate until and IF I get around to doing the air brushed Skelly on the back.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I wanted to Make a 900D emblem for the side of the drive bays, because my front cover eliminated Corsairs Logo. Not nice to do to my Great sponsor. lol I'll make up for it by hand crafting another copper Logo.

I was happy with how that came out. As you can see I love Copper, when it's polished it picks up colors from everything around it. This makes it look slightly different, depending on the angle you look at it.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I needed one more emblem for the side of the drive Bays. Bill Owen Has been an unbelievable mentor to me and this build would really never have been possible without his help!! This is what I came up with for MnpcTech.

I wanted to make this a little more elaborate. I put copper behind some aluminum with some brass screws in the top. The screws holes are tapped and threaded so it can be taken apart if necessary.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast