cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Ramdisk

ARASHI
Level 7
I recently bought a M6F and tried out the ROG Ramdisk that came with the board. After a bit of background research I discovered that the ROG Ramdisk would backup the files to the storage drive everytime before a system shutdown and write back to the ramdisk on the next startup.

Since one of the major functions of ramdisk is to store temporary files in order to reduce writes on SSD thus enhancing its lifespan, I found it really bizarre that the ROG ramdisk forces the system to write those data back to the SSD. I believe ASUS said that only modified files will be written in subsequent shutdowns but unwanted temporary files is still unwanted.

I understood that some people uses ramdisk to run applications that would benefit from this feature, so I don't really understand why ASUS does not give us an option to choose whether we want to backup the files just like most ramdisk softwares out there, or at least let us choose which storage drive to be used for backup.

Please let me know if I am misunderstanding how the ROG Ramdisk works. Otherwise I have no choice but to uninstall and seek alternatives until ASUS comes up with a better solution. Really disappointed that there is so little freedom for user control in this ROG software.
9 REPLIES 9

HiVizMan
Level 40
The bottom line it is freeware. And as such you can not expect Enterprise level of user optimisation I guess. I will pass on your concerns to the relevant department.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
The bottom line it is freeware. And as such you can not expect Enterprise level of user optimisation I guess. I will pass on your concerns to the relevant department.

No it is NOT freeware. It comes as a bundled feature of certain ASUS motherboards and as such plays into the decision to purchase the board. Unless, that is, I've missed something and in fact ASUS gives it away to anyone who comes around regardless of the hardware they want to run it on.

djMot wrote:
No it is NOT freeware. It comes as a bundled feature of certain ASUS motherboards and as such plays into the decision to purchase the board. Unless, that is, I've missed something and in fact ASUS gives it away to anyone who comes around regardless of the hardware they want to run it on.

Hello

Freeware or not the software is what it is. If it does not have the features you need or desire then don't use it. Simple enough it seems.

Gorman
Level 12
It seems like a very simple option to add.

I know there are numerous free RAMdisk's that do allow this option, so you shouldn't have much problem swapping. Considering that mounting scratch files to memory is one of the most common tasks for RAMdisks, it seems a bit strange to not have this option.

HiVizMan
Level 40
The RAMDisk software is licensed from a third party, the request for that feature to be added has been passed on.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

rogerthat1945
Level 7
The Ramdisc which came with the VI HERO motherboard DVD and from which I seem to have 3 unused? RamDisc drives always gives me a BSoD every time I try and Delete any of them.

BSoD message is always;- "REFERENCE_BY_POINTER"

Fat lot of good.

No idea what to do except have more of my life sucked away by dross coding that should be prevented from causing a BSoD at trying something like pressing a button.

Try
Try.
Try
again

Edit.
Two hours 12 re-boots of BSoD with stress, but fixed it. Too dizzy to remember how (as I was only uninstalling it because Origin games stopped working. BF3 BF4 Crysis 3 and NFS Hot Pursuit all stopped working. Still trying to fix.

rogerthat1945 wrote:
The Ramdisc which came with the VI HERO motherboard DVD and from which I seem to have 3 unused? RamDisc drives always gives me a BSoD every time I try and Delete any of them.

BSoD message is always;- "REFERENCE_BY_POINTER"

Fat lot of good.

No idea what to do except have more of my life sucked away by dross coding that should be prevented from causing a BSoD at trying something like pressing a button.

Hello

I would suggest a fresh install of the operating system instead of using the modified install from the Gigabyte board. If there are still issues with the ram disk then post back.

Praz wrote:
Hello

I would suggest a fresh install of the operating system instead of using the modified install from the Gigabyte board. If there are still issues with the ram disk then post back.

I think you were nearly right.
I wish you weren`t.

So; I would have had around thirty programs including Office 2007 Ultimate to fully install after installing Windows 8 Pro, then update to Windows 8.1 Pro, then update to Media Centre, then fifteen fully fledged games and around 6,000 files and documents and images. And of course around five-hundred updates for all the programs. Plus drivers.
About a weeks part-time work.

Great.
Am really looking forward to that feature of Windows 8.1

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Create a backup of your current install. When done perform a fresh install with all updates and drivers and check that the ram disk properly works. If you no longer see any issues you will know this is the way forward. If the issues are still present you can restore from your backup with nothing lost.