cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with G75vw clean install of WIN8 no disk

Brujenn
Level 7
Hi Folks,

I just got a G75VW and want to put in an SSD for my C: drive. Win8 came on the machine but I don't have a disk, so I'm not sure how to install it on the SSD. I'd like to do it without the trial-ware and apps that are added on the ASUS install. Can anyone guide me, or link me to another thread or guide off-site?
22 REPLIES 22

rewben
Level 13
if you need to do a clean install with the embedded key, you will need the oem w8 installer disk that matches your stock OS. use slmgr /dlv to determine it, and then find the matching one according to the version (core, single language, etc. it should be of oem channel).

alternatively, you can get to the clean state of your stock OS by resetting everything (using the option that 'remove everything and reinstall your windows')

before you do anything, please create a recovery usb with asus backtracker.

Brujenn
Level 7
Okay, I used slmgr /dlv and have all the information.

I don't understand this - "and then find the matching one according to the version (core, single language, etc. it should be of oem channel)."

Where should I look for this?

rewben
Level 13
from the popup window after issuing slmgr /dlv:

1. Name. it should be the windows edition that you're running (Core, Single Language; mine is 'Windows (R), Professional Edition');
2. Description. it should state that you're running OEM_DM.

with the information, look for the matching installation dvd/ISO file offline or online.

Pitcher1
Level 9
you will do the clean install? i think you need Win 8 CD and Key.

cudav8
Level 7
i found an iso for win 8 oem on google drive and did the clean install with no problems just download the drivers from asus site or back up from the system file on pc before you remove the old hhd and the key is not needed as it is embedded in the bios win. wont even ask for it when your doing the install

So now you'll need to Clean Install Win 8.1, its worth the time, much smother OS, you can download the ISO from MS Store use your current key that you have extracted!
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Brujenn
Level 7
The info I extracted with Windows script host has only "partial product key: MYM2MG".

MS store live chat told me to get the full key from Asus. I have sent Asus and email through Asus.com/support.

Brujenn
Level 7
I wonder - Does Asus have a hidden image of the original installation? If I restore to original maybe I can get my original product key? I used MS free online upgrade to win8.1 - maybe that's why my product key is missing.

I have no data on the computer yet, so nothing to back up.

These are the fields Win Script Host brought up. (I blanked some of the id numbers)

NO the key is stored on you Mother board. Try to extract you key with this program http://www.mediafire.com/download/as21l1ml16iu21k/Windows+Product+Key+Viewer+1.4.7d.zip
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro