Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    That is sadly to do with your CPU IMC I fear.
    Hi Mate,

Could you please elaborate a bit more?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kyufaker View Post
    Hi Mate,

Could you please elaborate a bit more?

Thanks
    How high you are able to overclock the memory will depend on how strong the memory controller (IMC) is.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    How high you are able to overclock the memory will depend on how strong the memory controller (IMC) is.
    Right. Does it mean i have an issue with my motherboard? Or is it somehow linked to my ram sticks? Is there a comprehensive guide rgarding memory controllers please?

Thanks

ROG Member Array

Right. Does it mean i have an issue with my motherboard? Or is it somehow linked to my ram sticks? Is there a comprehensive guide rgarding memory controllers please?

Thanks
    Hi.
    It is your CPU not motherboard or ram... Integrated Memory Controller is a part of CPU that controls memory and CPU interactions with it.
    To get to higher speeds on your RAM, the memory controller on your CPU should be good enough to be able to essentially "talk to the ram" as fast as you want. in case ofyour CPU, it isn't (It's just chance, some CPUs have higher qualities than others)
    Sadly it usually is not considered a fault and you can't RMA your CPU for not being to overclock and work on high frequencies (Intel guarantee is 1600Mhz, anything over that depends on the quality of your CPU)

More on IMC:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_controller
    Last edited by srashedian; 01-07-2014 at 11:19 AM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by srashedian View Post
    Hi.
    It is your CPU not motherboard or ram... Integrated Memory Controller is a part of CPU that controls memory and CPU interactions with it.
    To get to higher speeds on your RAM, the memory controller on your CPU should be good enough to be able to essentially "talk to the ram" as fast as you want. in case ofyour CPU, it isn't (It's just chance, some CPUs have higher qualities than others)
    Sadly it usually is not considered a fault and you can't RMA your CPU for not being to overclock and work on high frequencies (Intel guarantee is 1600Mhz, anything over that depends on the quality of your CPU)

More on IMC:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_controller
    Thanks a lot guys. That was very informative! Would delidding this to get lower temps help at all?

ROG Member Array

Thanks a lot guys. That was very informative! Would delidding this to get lower temps help at all?
    Hi.
    No problem, glad we can help.
    Anything you do to get the temperature down helps to get a more stable overclock or it can give you the headroom to push more (go for higher voltages).
    This may result in better DRAM frequencies, but don't expect a miracle, a low quality CPU is just that, unless you're going LN2, better cooling gives you better stability, but not huge difference in overclocking limits.
    However, I'm excited to see how hard you can push the CPU with better cooling, so please inform us of the results if you get round to delid your CPU.

ROG Member Array

Hi,

I'm planning a build on a Maximus Hero motherboard. I would like to use a single stick of 8Go ram :

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX16C9_8.pdf

Will it work though this stick is not in the QVL list of the Maximus Hero?

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Welcome to the ROG forums, Chacson.

That stick should work. But I'd recommend you to get a dual channel 2x4GB kit instead of using a single 8GB stick.

ROG Member Array

Thanks for the quick reply. I agree that 2x4 would be more efficient. I aim for 16Go (2x8) as soon as I want to spend more. It just didn't fit in my budget right now and a single 8Go in the 1st slot allow me to maybe max the ram one day without having to throw away the 2x4Go sticks. I guess the QVL list is not actualy showing the only compatible ram sticks then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Welcome to the ROG forums, Chacson.

That stick should work. But I'd recommend you to get a dual channel 2x4GB kit instead of using a single 8GB stick.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast