Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Although Asus makes an effort to keep their QVL updated, it's impossible to do so. Most of the time, the QVL on the RAM manufacturer's list is more recent.

Also, take note that combining two identical memory kits or sticks will not guarantee that they will play well together. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. That's why memory kits are more expensive than their single counterparts.

What is your budget for the RAM? And where are you shopping for your RAM? Maybe I can give you some suggestions.

ROG Member Array

To be on the safe side then, I would go for a 16Go set. Around 150 euros for 2x8Go. I doubt going above 1600Mhz would be worth the cost. I would look for CL9 though. I plan to buy a mounted pc on ldlc.com. But I wouldn't mind buying the parts on different sites to save some money and building it myself. I'm still undecided beteween the guarantee on a mounted pc or the pleasure to unbox the parts and build it myself. :-)
    I looked on topachat and alternate too for builds and parts.

The G.Skill Sniper 16 Go (2 x 8 Go) DDR3 1866 MHz CL9 is a nice kit that goes for 159€ at the LDLC.com. 1866MHz is a good in between frequency for daily usage. Not the fastest, nor the slowest. The best bang for your buck.

Regarding buying a prebuilt PC or building your own, I will always recommend you to build your own. There are 3 good reasons to do so.
    1. Building your own almost, always is cheaper than buying one.
    2. You have more liberty to decide on what you want and what you plan to upgrade in the future.
    3. You'll learn heaps about building computers.

ROG Member Array

Thanks for the tips. Tomorrow should be the day I make my orders. I will have to re-learn how to build a pc and unboxing will be fun.

Planned build is a Maximus Hero, I5 4670k,2x8Go Ram, 240Go SSD,Corsair RM750 Psu and a tiny GPU as I'm waiting for the price of the 780Ti to drop in a few month. All that in a Zalman ms800plus case.

That sounds like a very nice build, my friend. Feel free to post pictures of your build log in the forums!

ROG Member Array

I really appreciate the Memory Setup Guide For Maximus VI mobo, it really helps all the newbies in overclocking.

I have the following Memory:
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C9Q-32GXH

I set the "AI Overclock Tuner = XMP" and the Memory immediately recognized at 2133 Mhz.

I plan to Overclock my CPU (i7 - 4770K) in the coming days. Does this mean, I have to follow Step 2 (Manual setup) for Memory Setup, so that I will be able to Overclock my CPU?

Welcome to the ROG forums, Venus222.

I'm glad that you found this guide useful. You can overclock your CPU while using the XMP profile. But personally, I like to set my RAM up manually. Both method will work without flaws. It's just personal preference.

ROG Member Array

Thanks for the suggestion.

I will change the "AI Overclock Tuner = Manual" and follow the step 2 of the Memory Setup.

Any ideas, where I can find the guide to Overclock my CPU (i7 - 4770K) ?

ROG Member Array

I am trying to change the "AI Overclock Tuner = Manual" from XMP Profile. But, I cannot change the DRAM Timing Control, all of them are set to "Auto"

I was able to change the following:

AI Overclock Tuner = Manual

DRAM Frequency = DDR3-2133 MHz

Any help or suggestion would be great.

To change the DRAM Timing, all you have to do is click the box and type in the value.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast