Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    33

    odd heating problem in g53sw, help!!

    Hello! i have a problem and neither me or the technician knows why its happening.

    I have a g53sw, everything was working fine except the other day when my backpack (with my laptop in it) fell from a chair to the ground, (yeah yeah, i know, im a moron!) so i started up and worked just fine for like an hour, then it suddenly shut down, like it was a heating problem, i run a few stress test and the cpu reached like 95ºC wich is a lot, before the fall it reached 85ºC when stress tested, i disassembly my laptop and everything was fine, no chip broken, no cable broken no nothing, so the next thing i did was, to repaste the CPU, this helped a lot, i mean, now i could work fine as long as i dont overload the cpu. (before that if i open eclipse, a developer tool, it overheated and shutdown)

    So i ran stress test again, and it stayed on for a little longer, but the overheating problem was still there. I took it to the technician, he did the same thing i did but he disassembly all of the pc, nothing was broken or moved, so he assambled the PC tested it, it was working fine... here comes the odd part for me (im no hardware expert nor something near that) When my laptops is working only with the battery, it works fine, the stress test only reached 86ºC, but when i plug the cable it start running hotter until it shutsdown.

    pleaaaase, any help?? i dont know why is this happening, may be the cable? or the jack?

    Sorry for my english, thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    New ROGer Array Zygomorphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    176
    Posts
    4,761

    Possibly a damaged jack, or else a damaged battery. Lithium Ion batteries are sensitive to shock, and can be damaged. However, it is possible that the chips are loose, though unless they break free of the board, you couldn't tell. Repasting should solve any thermal issues - unless a fan is broken. Can you confirm that both fans are running properly?
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

  3. #3
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    33

    Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    Possibly a damaged jack, or else a damaged battery. Lithium Ion batteries are sensitive to shock, and can be damaged. However, it is possible that the chips are loose, though unless they break free of the board, you couldn't tell. Repasting should solve any thermal issues - unless a fan is broken. Can you confirm that both fans are running properly?
    Thanks for helping me, but the battery is fine, the thing is when i plug my battery charger, thats when it starts overheating, if my pc is working on battery alone is 'fine' (when i start the stress test it reaches 90ºC, i dont think thats normal).

    the technician said that everything was fine regarding somthing loose or outof place.

    I've repasted the cpu, and that helped but with my battery charged plugged it keeps shuting down.

    both fans are working fine, reaching 4000RPM when the cpu is too hot.

    Any other ideas?

    it's prettyy odd!

  4. #4
    New ROGer Array Zygomorphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    176
    Posts
    4,761

    Sounds like a damaged battery charge controller (in the laptop battery). That, or the plug may have a micro crack that you can't see.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

  5. #5
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    33

    Thanks again, one question, that micro cut, you think that may be the cause of my laptop overheating? if you want i can make a video of the laptop cheking tempetures, and Mhz in the cpu, with the pc working on battery and thenwith the pc working with battery charge plugged.

    Thanks again

    one more thing. im doing the stress test with BurninTest

  6. #6
    New ROGer Array Zygomorphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    176
    Posts
    4,761

    It has to be something with the charger, since the only time it overheats is when the laptop is plugged in. Try removing the battery and running the notebook plugged in. If that helps, then something is wrong with the battery. Otherwise, it's the charging.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

  7. #7
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    33

    Thanks again, the technician tested the jack and he told me, it was fine, i will try changing de battery charger.

    rigth now there are 3 technicians looking very closely at the laptop, with magnifying glass. they dont see anything rare, they are asking me if the cober pipes are filled with gas or liquid, by any chance, do you know that? they are looking if it may have broken

    Sory for my english!

  8. #8
    New ROGer Array Zygomorphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    176
    Posts
    4,761

    I don't think so. I believe that they are solid copper. Oh, that reminds me! Did the charger hit the floor too? I didn't think of that before, because it could be damaged. If the technicians are saying that the jack is fine, then it probably. The charger could break on impact - some of the relays and transformers could be broken by impact.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

  9. #9
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    33

    I will try with another carger, but now it shuts down with battery too. i really dont know what to do!

  10. #10
    New ROGer Array Zygomorphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    176
    Posts
    4,761

    Quote Originally Posted by pablitopm View Post
    I will try with another carger, but now it shuts down with battery too. i really dont know what to do!
    To be honest, it sounds like your system is failing, which is possible after falling to the floor.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •