cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please: ASIO Failed To Open?

Jynxx
Level 7
Ok, so I have been trying to figure this out for weeks, and I thought that the combination of a clean Win8 install and the new drivers that just came out the other day would fix this, but it hasn't, so I am hoping someone wiser than I may have a solution for me.
I am a professional remixer, and I use a lot of DAWs (digital audio workstation), which rely on ASIO heavily. I am also a huge gamer, and absolutely need awesome 5.1 audio, otherwise I may as well be playing Pong or Space Invaders. So I figured the Xonar Phoebus was a great mix of both. Great gaming hardware and audio, with exactly the right specs for the audio work I do (24-bit 192khz is a must).
SO... now that you have some background, here is the problem. I use two programs more than any other, FL Studio and Adobe Audition. I just upgraded to the latest version of FL Studio (FLS 11), and everything works fine in there, always has. I also just upgraded to Adobe Audition CC (I was previously using CS6). In Audition CS6 everything worked fine as well, but Audition CC has some features and bug fixes that would really come in handy, plus my company pays for it, so I really want to use CC, but everytime I go into the Audio Hardware setup and select ASIO, I get an error that says:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The device settings could not be applied because the following error occurred:
The device could not be opened.
The last valid device settings will be used.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I have tried just about everything I can think of. I figured that it was an Audition problem, but no one there seems to be very helpful, and so it's no surprise that my problem wasn't solved. So, here I am. Clean install, new drivers... and the hope that someone on here can give me some magical setting that will somehow "open" the ASIO driver for Audition, so I am not forced to use the ASIO4ALL drivers, or even worse, the MME drivers. Yuck.

As I am sure you can tell by now, anyone who can actually help solve this issue will become my new personal hero.

Here is a screenshot, just for the heck of it:
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3107/tgkz.png
15 REPLIES 15

Jynxx
Level 7
Oh, and I have a tech background and am very comfortable in the registry and editing/removing files and services, so don't wear kid gloves with me. If I have to put in some quality time with Regedit, so be it.

Jynxx
Level 7
OH.... and I suppose I should give you specs too, hey?

Windows 8 64-bit
Core i7 3930 six-core 3.2ghz running @ 4.3ghz
32gb G.Skill 1866mhz ram
Asus P9X79 WS Motherboard
Radeon HD 7990 6GB video card
ASUS Xonar Phoebus sound card
Corsiar 512gb SSD as main drive
Two Seagate Barracuda 3tb secondary drives
PC P&C Silencer MKIII 1200w PSU
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition case

.... and I think that's all the info I can think of, unless you want my peripherals too lol

Glasofruix
Level 8
Asio on phoebus was borked since the beginning

Cageymaru
Level 7
From what I understand it ASIO on the Phoebus was stillborn from the beginning. You sound like a person that really needs working drivers and features. I would return the Phoebus and get another product. The probability of Asus releasing new drivers for the Phoebus is less than 1%. If you can't return it, then I would like to send my condolences for your loss, and reluctantly welcome you to the fan club. Misery does love company; so you're welcome to stay.

Cageymaru wrote:
From what I understand it ASIO on the Phoebus was stillborn from the beginning. You sound like a person that really needs working drivers and features. I would return the Phoebus and get another product. The probability of Asus releasing new drivers for the Phoebus is less than 1%. If you can't return it, then I would like to send my condolences for your loss, and reluctantly welcome you to the fan club. Misery does love company; so you're welcome to stay.

Less than 1%? I bought the card in March and there have already been two driver updates. But you are right, I am a person that needs working drivers and features, but this card has far outperformed any other card I have ever owned. And, as I said, the ASIO drivers have worked just fine in everything else I have thrown at it, and always with a latency of 30ms or less. And in terms of gaming, this is easily the best card I have ever owned. I used to be strictly Creative in terms of sound cards, but you talk about 1% drivers... man. That whole setup is a scam. It takes them months and months to fix any bugs or come out with compatibility patches. And their new cards are awesome, especially the new Z line... but they dropped any ASIO support back with the X-Fi series.
I love my Phoebus. I also watch a lot of movies, and this card is awesome in DTS.

Anyway, thanks for all your help guys! I honestly do appreciate it. I just wish I could figure that ONE bug out! It is the only bad thing I have experienced with this card, and I am 99% sure that the card itself isn't even to blame. I wish there was some diagnostics tool you could use to see the audio bus path so that I can figure out why it keeps coming back as "open" somewhere.

Raja
Level 13
Jynxx wrote:
Ok, so I have been trying to figure this out for weeks, and I thought that the combination of a clean Win8 install and the new drivers that just came out the other day would fix this, but it hasn't, so I am hoping someone wiser than I may have a solution for me.
I am a professional remixer, and I use a lot of DAWs (digital audio workstation), which rely on ASIO heavily. I am also a huge gamer, and absolutely need awesome 5.1 audio, otherwise I may as well be playing Pong or Space Invaders. So I figured the Xonar Phoebus was a great mix of both. Great gaming hardware and audio, with exactly the right specs for the audio work I do (24-bit 192khz is a must).
SO... now that you have some background, here is the problem. I use two programs more than any other, FL Studio and Adobe Audition. I just upgraded to the latest version of FL Studio (FLS 11), and everything works fine in there, always has. I also just upgraded to Adobe Audition CC (I was previously using CS6). In Audition CS6 everything worked fine as well, but Audition CC has some features and bug fixes that would really come in handy, plus my company pays for it, so I really want to use CC, but everytime I go into the Audio Hardware setup and select ASIO, I get an error that says:
The device settings could not be applied because the following error occurred:
The device could not be opened.
The last valid device settings will be used.

Now I have tried just about everything I can think of. I figured that it was an Audition problem, but no one there seems to be very helpful, and so it's no surprise that my problem wasn't solved. So, here I am. Clean install, new drivers... and the hope that someone on here can give me some magical setting that will somehow "open" the ASIO driver for Audition, so I am not forced to use the ASIO4ALL drivers, or even worse, the MME drivers. Yuck.

As I am sure you can tell by now, anyone who can actually help solve this issue will become my new personal hero.

Here is a screenshot, just for the heck of it:
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3107/tgkz.png

Does WASAPI work for you?

Tellus
Level 7
To be honest i would advise you to get another card if you are in a hurry to get it working, or use windows 7. phoebus & win8/8.1 and asio ontop is just not gonna work as it is now. Most onboard cards work and sound better then the phoebus does in win8.

Best solution for you would be to run with onboard for games (if you have a motherboard that's made in the last few years) and then add a proper studio card for the remixing, that is if you can return/sell the phoebus.
| Sabertooth p67 rev b | i7 2600k @4,8GHz | 2x8GB 2133MHz Corsair | MSI GamingX GTX 1080@2125MHz | 256GB Samsung 840Pro | MX300 1TB | 2x 120GB Intel 510 | Xonar Phoebus | Zalman ZM-850HP | Logitech G810 & SS Rival 500 | Acer Z35 |

Tellus wrote:
To be honest i would advise you to get another card if you are in a hurry to get it working, or use windows 7. phoebus & win8/8.1 and asio ontop is just not gonna work as it is now. Most onboard cards work and sound better then the phoebus does in win8.

Best solution for you would be to run with onboard for games (if you have a motherboard that's made in the last few years) and then add a proper studio card for the remixing, that is if you can return/sell the phoebus.

There is no way I would ever use onboard sound for gaming. Thats the point of having a good sound card. And there is no possible way that any onboard audio even comes close to sounding and working better than my Phoebus. I don't even know why you would say such a thing! lol
Also, if you read my post, I don't have a problem with ASIO in ANY other program, and I use it in at least 3-4 other programs. It worked just fine in Audition CS6, it is just the new Audition CC that it doesn't work with. And as for getting a proper studio card for remixing, that would only make sense if I was doing live mixing and recording, and I needed multiple ins/outs. The phoebus kills most "proper" cards in snr and frequency perception, and if I ever do do live recording, I only need one line from my studio mixing board into my line-in on the sound card.
So I am fairly sure that this isn't a win8 issue, especially since I haven't really seen anyone else with this exact problem. I just can't figure out where it tells Audition that the ASO driver is already open.

@Raja:
No, WASAPI doesn't actually "work". It lets me load the driver, and I can see the wav when I open it, but it won't play or anything at all. I have never used WASAPI before, so I don't know what to expect from it, but I certainly don't think that 'not playing or recording' is the intended result 😉

Tellus
Level 7
Wasapi is a modern version of kernel streaming, it impacts latency more then asio does. There is quite alot of information to be had on the subject. There is rare cases where wasapi offers lower latency then asio but that's usually when asio is badly implemented.

Seeing how badly you misunderstood my post i'll leave it be for now and simply say; No, the phoebus does not offer anything better then a proper studio card, even if you don't use it for live recording. The phoebus is not intended for professional use nor does it have the proper capabillitys, it's a C-media chip... If you want something with rock solid drivers and support for mixing & studio use then look at companys like ESI, they offer proper ASIO 2.0 and CoreSound along with MME, this in win8.

For your audition cs6 issue i would advice you to check that the master clock device and device settings are done correctly, not being able to open the stream is usually down to mismatched settings.
| Sabertooth p67 rev b | i7 2600k @4,8GHz | 2x8GB 2133MHz Corsair | MSI GamingX GTX 1080@2125MHz | 256GB Samsung 840Pro | MX300 1TB | 2x 120GB Intel 510 | Xonar Phoebus | Zalman ZM-850HP | Logitech G810 & SS Rival 500 | Acer Z35 |