Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Hello, if you have time you may try this:
    1. uninstall Phoebus driver/software
    2. in the Phoebus package, you'll find the file "CMASIOSrv64.ini" under Win8\SoftwareDriver\DLL. Open it and you'll find a line "Description=ASUS Xonar Phoebus ASIO device (x64)". It defines the ASIO module name. Edit that line to make the description string less than 32 characters in length.
    3. reinstall the Phoebus driver and see if it works in Audition CC.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

HQ have replicated this issue. They told me that it would be patched in a future driver.

-Raja

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

The question of "How future is that driver ?" remains...

ROG Enthusiast Array

@Jynxx. It's not that the onboard sound sounds "better". It certainly isn't as crisp or detailed as the Phoebus. The Phoebus wins hands down in actual sound quality. What the onboard sound does infinitely better than the Phoebus is "Positional Audio" in gaming. Take the onboard sound and combine that with Razer Surround and I'm a killing machine in BF4 or BF3. In other games it's the same way.

A footstep in BF4 using the Phoebus doesn't tell me where it originated from. I can't tell if it came from the front, back, left, or right. If I take 2 minutes to setup Razer Surround + default settings on the Realtek that came with my Asus Sabertooth 990FX, I can tell exactly where those footsteps originated from. I can decide if I want to kill the guy with a knife, pistol, or main gun while happily on my way to his position. With the Phoebus all I near are anonymous footsteps. Sure they sound really crisp, but they have no place of origin. I can't tell if they are coming from the guy running beside me or the sniper above me. I can't tell if the chopper is attacking from the left, right, center, etc. Once again the Phoebus sounds really crisp and clear. But I get zero feedback as far as to where those sounds originated.

In gaming for me it's much more important to know where to go to avoid danger. The Phoebus just doesn't cut it when it comes to relaying that information. It's obviously there as Razer Surround + onboard sound can extrapolate those audio cues from the BF4 audio stream and relay them to me. So it's not the game's fault. As beautiful as the Phoebus sounds with music, I'd even wager to say that it's not the hardware on the Phoebus. That only leaves the drivers and positional software that shipped with the device. I lump the drivers and software together, but I'll let Asus decide which is the culprit.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Phoebus works fine with razer surround for me, i can hear the position of the footsteps/gunshots very well, it's another story when you try to guess those using the soundcard's features...

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WTC View Post
    Hello, if you have time you may try this:
    1. uninstall Phoebus driver/software
    2. in the Phoebus package, you'll find the file "CMASIOSrv64.ini" under Win8\SoftwareDriver\DLL. Open it and you'll find a line "Description=ASUS Xonar Phoebus ASIO device (x64)". It defines the ASIO module name. Edit that line to make the description string less than 32 characters in length.
    3. reinstall the Phoebus driver and see if it works in Audition CC.

HQ confirms this is the fix for now. This won't go into the upcoming WHQL driver (too late to get it in without adding more time on an already delayed release), but will push to get it into the next one. You can use the workaround in the meantime.

-Raja

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2