cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this Normal? Loading other Files/Folders takes about 5-10secs to open up

izzyreb02
Level 9
Hi, its been a long time since I have this card. But something that has been buging me. Ever since I used it and installed it under the UEFI. I notice when I open other folders from other drives it takes a while to even pop up the screen before I can access the files.

I don't know if this is related to the optimize utlility that came on the disc that is the cause of the slow down a bit (to cut back writes and reads to extend life time on the card) or this isn't suppose to happen at all.

It will work fine after I open the folder that it took so long to open up in but if I wanted to open something different up or a file (like a MKV file or a movie or anething random) it will take a while to open it up.

Is this normal to be like that?
3 REPLIES 3

Nodens
Level 16
No it's not normal but it is also not related to the drive. There's something wrong with the windows installation and you're getting timeouts. If the folders you open are from one specific drive it's possible that the drive is about to die.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

izzyreb02
Level 9
Ah, I should've of replied sooner when I found out the problem. But I had to be sure that its not there.

From all the mucking about I was doing, I think it was cause the cache was set on 32k and not 64k when you make a RAID. But aneway what ever I did I fixed it.

What I did was, I reinstall OS under Legacy (also made sure the cache on the Raid configuration is set properly) and apparently it was still going choppy when I was opening like media player and bout to play a song in another hard drive or such, so I deleted the configuration on Raid, check my bios and make sure CSM is done up right. Put it UEFI mode Reinstall Windows and now its running as it suppose to be.

So I don't know what I did exactly to fix it but I guess it could be the cache got set 32k by default when it was meant to be 64k or something, something I missed that I was meant to put on in the bios.. But what ever it was, its not doing the loading delay anemore.

But I reckon I should get myself 4 TB hard drive, considering the hard drive space is like passed halfway point on my 2TB for my data storage.

Do you think Green Western Digital is ok for like things like "opening Video Files, Music that kind of stuff?"

Nodens
Level 16
I personally do not trust Green and Blue "Intellipower" drives. They use weaker motors which are also closer to 5400rpm in rotational speed according to benchmarks. That's why they have 2 year warranty only. Black, SE or RE is what I use for storage drives.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.