cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for USB 3 hubs?

michaeldowns
Level 7
Anker 9 port USB 3.0 hub does not function.
Anker 10 port USB 3.0 hub does not function.

A USB 3.0 external HDD, plugged into either of these devices then plugged into the mobo, does not enumerate and is not seen by Windows.

The same HDD plugged into a different (Syba) USB 3 hub then plugged into the mobo does work correctly.

Both USB 3.0 hubs, plugged into a different PC with the same USB 3.0 HDD, work correctly.

How to solve this incompatibility? I have tried many trial and error methods with no solution.

So at this point I am thinking something in the USB 3 stack is incompatible rather than hardware failure. With this in mind I tried to update the Intel drivers for the M6 Formula mobo. BTW the driver update FAILS and I have posted about that.

Any recommendations for USB 3 hubs (preferably many port strip type hubs) that are stable?

Thanks
mdd

-------------------------------------------------------------------
ASUS Maximus VI Formula w/ BIOS 0903
Intel Core i7-4770K BX80646I74770K
G.Skill Trident X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2400 Model F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
Seagate Constellation CS ST3000NC002 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 ACX 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
Corsair Carbide Series 330R Mid-tower Case
Corsair RM850 850W 80 Plus GOLD Certified
Cooler Master Seidon 240M - Liquid CPU Water Cooler
Pioneer 15X BD-R SATA Blu-ray Burner BDR-2208
AFT PRO-57U All-in-one USB 3.0 5.25" Media Card Reader
-------------------------------------------------------------------
9 REPLIES 9

Atlantis852
Level 7
You need a USB hub with an external power adapter to use hard drives and have them work properly.
Asus M6E | i7 4770K | 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM | 512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD | GTX 780

Atlantis852 wrote:
You need a USB hub with an external power adapter to use hard drives and have them work properly.

Yeah, all these have external power - not the issue.

You may give it a try with Hootoo 3.0 hub 7 ports. It gives enough space between each port and I'm happy for the price $35 they offers me a good quality one. http://www.amazon.com/HT-UH006-Bus-Powered-Backward-Compatible-Supporting/dp/B00DKOVVR4/

Raja
Level 13
The SIIG JU-H40512-S1 is on the device QVL for this board...

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The SIIG JU-H40512-S1 is on the device QVL for this board...

Hi Raja,

Thanks for your reply. I have this one as well. It's older and the first one I tried. I presumed a newer hub with updated VIA chipset and firmware would actually function correctly. But no. All the USB 3 hubs exhibit various failure modes. Thinking it could be a hub device failure I have even replaced a couple of them with the same models to try one thing at a time to isolate the failure.

Most frustrating...

michaeldowns wrote:
Hi Raja,

Thanks for your reply. I have this one as well. It's older and the first one I tried. I presumed a newer hub with updated VIA chipset and firmware would actually function correctly. But no. All the USB 3 hubs exhibit various failure modes. Thinking it could be a hub device failure I have even replaced a couple of them with the same models to try one thing at a time to isolate the failure.

Most frustrating...

Hi michaeldowns,

I am trying to figure out what kind of gadget you really want to get . The previous posters gave different answers . It seemed that you are not so content with them. How about this one I bought as a Christmas sale last week ? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EHDT4HG At least, it works perfect for me with many ports and its own power adapter. I hope you may like it.

KenV99
Level 7
I have been using a 'Plugable' 7-port hub which carries a VIA VL812 chipset and a 4a power supply without problems since my initial build. I tested your situation by plugging in a USB 3.0 WD 2TB drive into the hub which enumerated properly and then unplugged and plugged it in directly to one of the rear USB 3.0 ports (I assumed that's what you meant by plugging it in directly to the motherboard) and it also enumerated properly. BTW I am running Win7Ult x64 and had updated the hub's firmware to rev8581 long before the build. Of note, however, I have successfully updated the Intel drivers.

I hope this helps.

michaeldowns
Level 7
Hi Kevin,

It does help to know, thanks for your reply. Yes, by plugging into the mobo I do mean the rear, back panel ports.

One of the hubs I have is even more recent with more amperage, which is why I bought it to replace a USB 3 hub that was a problem. Even the new one FAILS.

Anker® USB 3.0 9-Port Hub + 5V 2.1A Smart Charging Port with 12V 5A Power Adapter [VIA VL812-B2 Chipset and updated Firmware 9081]

BTW in another thread I am trying to get my Intel chipset drivers updated which hopefully could solve this and a couple of other USB 3 issues I am experiencing.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39359-M6-Formula-Mobo-Intel-Drivers-Updates-FAIL

Trying everything to get a stable usb stack ...

:confused: :eek:

hope4
Level 7
We've had this 4 port USB3.0 hub working on a selection of Windows Desktops, laptops and a few MacBook Pros. Every time it is plugged in, it just works - no drivers required, just get on with it!. Even better - every time it is plugged in you will be amazed how quickly new devices are identified and become usable.

Once you are using the connected devices, that's when you get the real benefits os USB 3 (and the inateck build) - the speed of each device is excellent and the lights help you see what's what.

This has become an essential addition to our mobile setup, especially for the devices that have just one or two native USB ports.