cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird problem, system won't post

chrisnyc75
Level 12
So, I'm having a really weird problem and wondered if any of you have ever seen this before...

When I push the power button to power on my system, everything lights up like it's starting, but then literally a half-second later it just stops and loses power. Then about 5 seconds later, it lights up (fans start, etc) again, and then again a half-second later it just loses power again. Over and over ad infinitum.

I tried resetting the CMOS, no effect. Nothing in my system has changed, it was working just fine last night when I shut it down. Now this morning, it just won't post -- it's like a car engine that's trying to turn over but just can't quite get ignition.

Any ideas?
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

32 REPLIES 32

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sorry to hear you're having problems chrisnyc!

I have seen that kind of behaviour before..... from my own failed RAM OCs.

Have you tried clearing CMOS switching BIOS and clearing CMOS again? Maybe strip system of all connections not needed and try just one stick of RAM (try a few sticks but one at a time).

Also check 8pin ATX power connector...disconnect inspect and replace...

chrisnyc75
Level 12
Thanks Arne. My 2nd bios is still an old version, pre IB-e, so I can't switch it unless I flash it to a new image, which I'm a bit reluctant to do while the system is acting weird (a failed bios flash and a borked mobo is the last thing I need).

It does seem almost like what you'd see with a bad ram oc, except that my ram was working 100% fine last night when I shut down -- I wasn't even doing anything interesting with my system, just typical websurfing etc. It doesnt seem there should be any reason for a hardware failure this morning. 😞
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah well these things often do go with no warning if that's what it is...the reason you might try one stick of RAM at a time see if anything changes. OK I hear you on the BIOS ....you could try re-flashing the BIOS you are on then with a fresh file....BIOS flashback.

You could disconnect the battery and PSU for an hour or so even overnight if you can....totally reset the board...

When you say power button you mean the one on the board itself...if a case button remove Qconnector from board and try board power button.

chrisnyc75
Level 12
So, since my last post I fell asleep watching TV, and when I woke up from my nap and tried one more time to start my system, it magically started up as if nothing were ever wrong with it in the first place.

I swear there are gremlins living inside this computer whose whole purpose in life is to confuse and irritate me. lol
*edit: after getting back into Windows, I notice that the time is wrong. A quick "update from internet" sets it right again, but much like the last case of "gremlins" struck (this isn't the first time the system has inexplicably refused to post for an extended period and then magically just "worked" again out of the blue), I'm willing to bet the system time in bios is wrong, too, and it's the mismatch between the timestamps that is causing the system to fail to post. Is there anything in particular that would cause the cmos timestamp to go out of sync?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Aw chrisnyc I'm sorry to say you did in fact fall asleep in front of the TV but you haven't woken up yet....you're just dreaming the problem is fixed...and this reply is just your sub-subconcience trying to get you to wake up.....WAKE UP CHRIS!

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would have a look at replacing the CMOS battery? Have seen this behaviour once or twice before.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

chrisnyc75
Level 12
Thanks HiViz, I'll switch it out just to be on the safe side. p.s. I checked the time in the bios and it was correct. No clue why the Windows time suddenly went out of sync or if that could cause a problem with post?

Oddly, it happened again yesterday after attempting to wake the system from sleep mode (which I rarely use). That time a quick cmos reset fixed the problem. The more perplexing case is when it happens and cmos reset doesn't fix the problem, which has happened twice now. Both times the system flat out refused to post for hours/days, then just suddenly worked again as if by magic.

I still blame the gremlins. 😉

chrisnyc75
Level 12
Just a little follow-up on this one, in case my diagnosis/resolution helps somebody else who may come across this thread....

It turns out the problem is a faulty heatsink in my psu which causes the power supply to randomly shut down and/or refuse to power on. I pretty much ruled out the psu in my troubleshooting because my psu is literally brand new, purchased new less than 2 months ago, and it's a very reputable model. BUT, turns out EVGA just issued a recall on several models of their power supplies for this exact problem:

http://www.evga.com/articles/00803/

So, RMA is in-progress, and fortunately EVGA cross-ships, so the only down time I'll have is any that is due to the hardware malfunction (typing this on my laptop right now b/c my pc flat out refuses to power on....again).

At least it's not the mobo as I suspected. Pulling out the psu to RMA is a lot easier than disassembling the entire system to pull out the mobo. 🙂

chrisnyc75 wrote:
Just a little follow-up on this one, in case my diagnosis/resolution helps somebody else who may come across this thread....

It turns out the problem is a faulty heatsink in my psu which causes the power supply to randomly shut down and/or refuse to power on. I pretty much ruled out the psu in my troubleshooting because my psu is literally brand new, purchased new less than 2 months ago, and it's a very reputable model. BUT, turns out EVGA just issued a recall on several models of their power supplies for this exact problem:

http://www.evga.com/articles/00803/

So, RMA is in-progress, and fortunately EVGA cross-ships, so the only down time I'll have is any that is due to the hardware malfunction (typing this on my laptop right now b/c my pc flat out refuses to power on....again).

At least it's not the mobo as I suspected. Pulling out the psu to RMA is a lot easier than disassembling the entire system to pull out the mobo. 🙂

On Friday my PSU (Corsair AX1200i) started doing the exact same thing, I have also now RMA'd it. Thanks for coming back to us with your solution, a lot of people don't which doesn't help the rest of us with the same issues! much appreciated!