cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why win 8.1 can't detect my windows key from BIOS ??!!

mehdi_moha
Level 8
Hi guys !

why this happened after upgrade my win 8 to 8.1 via win8 iso ? (( my rogy is g75vx ))

i tried to enable/disable secureboot , but nothing happened !!! just an error appear / disappear on my desktop : " secure-boot is not configured... "
20 REPLIES 20

GottiBoi55
Level 10
mehdi.moha wrote:
Hi guys !

why this happened after upgrade my win 8 to 8.1 via win8 iso ? (( my rogy is g75vx ))

i tried to enable/disable secureboot , but nothing happened !!! just an error appear / disappear on my desktop : " secure-boot is not configured... "

Open CMD and type this command prompt slmgr /ato
That should "activate" your Windows product key.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:
Open CMD and type this command prompt slmgr /ato
That should "activate" your Windows product key.

thank u buddy 🙂

i'm at office right now , i'll try it tonight and let u know the result .
i

mehdi.moha wrote:
thank u buddy 🙂

i'm at office right now , i'll try it tonight and let u know the result .
i

You welcome my friend, keep us posted on this issue.
Maybe this happened, because you did a clean install with a "non" OEM version ISO.

PS: Another procedure from Microsoft Support if you are still having problems with activation.

To start the Product Activation Wizard, follow these steps:

1. At the Start screen, swipe in from the right side, or hover your mouse in the upper-right corner of the screen to display the charms menu.
2. Tap or click the Settings charm.
3. Tap or click Change PC Settings.
4. If your PC is not activated, PC Settings will provide instructions that are customized to your activation error. If telephone support can provide help for your error, tap or click the appropriate link, which may resemble one of the following:

* Activate

* Activate by phone

* Contact customer support for help

PPS: Other methods are these two programs
, ProduKey, or Belarc Advisor both will help you find your embedded Windows key.
GottiBoi55
Asus
Samsung
SanDisk
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:
You welcome my friend, keep us posted on this issue.
Maybe this happened, because you did a clean install with a "non" OEM version ISO.

PS: Another procedure from Microsoft Support if you are still having problems with activation.

To start the Product Activation Wizard, follow these steps:

1. At the Start screen, swipe in from the right side, or hover your mouse in the upper-right corner of the screen to display the charms menu.
2. Tap or click the Settings charm.
3. Tap or click Change PC Settings.
4. If your PC is not activated, PC Settings will provide instructions that are customized to your activation error. If telephone support can provide help for your error, tap or click the appropriate link, which may resemble one of the following:

* Activate

* Activate by phone

* Contact customer support for help

PPS: Other methods are these two programs
, ProduKey, or Belarc Advisor both will help you find your embedded Windows key.

i'm so sorry mate , i almost forgot to say , last night i had MMA training and i couldn't find a appropriate time to use my laptop . i promise to check it ASAP 🙂

thank u soooooooooooo much again and again 🙂
yes , i can find my windows 8 single language key , but when i try to use it m it says that u can't use this serial numer !!
u know , my original windows 8 was " single language" version , after that i upgrade that with a windows 8 "pro" is file , the pro version was accepted my " single language " serial number ...

after a while , for some reason , i had to recover my windows (( from recovery partition ) and reversed back to "single language" again . then i tried to upgrade my "single language" to 8.1 " pro" via my " single language's" product key ! (( i have windows 8.1 RTM iso ))
but it not accepted my "key" and i had to google to find a "key" ... i found one ... and know i have a windows 8.1 pro that is not activated !:D

i tried to change the settings on bios==>secure boot==>enable / disable . but the problem still persist ! it cant detect my product key from the BIOS .
two error is always on my right/bottom screen :
when secure boot is disables : " windows is not activated , build 9600 . secure boot is not configured correctly" (( i think that was the message 😉 ))
when secure boot is enable : " windows is not activated , build 9600 (( mmmm ... maybe that was " build 9500 " i'm not sure ))

another information : i searched on fog.forum ... and find out that Microsoft has been published an update to resolve "secure boot error" , i downloaded and installed that . but just my "secure boot" is gone !!! my windows is still not activated 😞

what do u think ?! should i search and find a "windows 8.1 RTM single language" iso ?

mehdi.moha wrote:
i'm so sorry mate , i almost forgot to say , last night i had MMA training and i couldn't find a appropriate time to use my laptop . i promise to check it ASAP 🙂

thank u soooooooooooo much again and again 🙂
yes , i can find my windows 8 single language key , but when i try to use it m it says that u can't use this serial numer !!
u know , my original windows 8 was " single language" version , after that i upgrade that with a windows 8 "pro" is file , the pro version was accepted my " single language " serial number ...

I Clean installed from win 7 HP to Win 8.1 Pro, My win 8 pro was a cheap $14.95 upgrade because I bought my NB soon before the release of Win 8. I did receive a Product ID Key for this update. However when I installed I used a retail version of Win 8.1 Pro 64. In order to install I had to use a install Key. This install Key only will not activate win 8.1 pro but it will allow the installation.. After installation I activated using my Win 8 pro update Key. No issues with install or Activation. I got the ISO and Install key from someone banned from this forum, however I think you can goggle for these ISO's Install only key's?

after a while , for some reason , i had to recover my windows (( from recovery partition ) and reversed back to "single language" again . then i tried to upgrade my "single language" to 8.1 " pro" via my " single language's" product key ! (( i have windows 8.1 RTM iso ))
but it not accepted my "key" and i had to google to find a "key" ... i found one ... and know i have a windows 8.1 pro that is not activated !:D

i tried to change the settings on bios==>secure boot==>enable / disable . but the problem still persist ! it cant detect my product key from the BIOS .
two error is always on my right/bottom screen :
when secure boot is disables : " windows is not activated , build 9600 . secure boot is not configured correctly" (( i think that was the message 😉 ))
when secure boot is enable : " windows is not activated , build 9600 (( mmmm ... maybe that was " build 9500 " i'm not sure ))

I think you need to activate using your win 8 pro upgrade Key!! Control Panel\System and Security\system\change product ID

another information : i searched on fog.forum ... and find out that Microsoft has been published an update to resolve "secure boot error" , i downloaded and installed that . but just my "secure boot" is gone !!! my windows is still not activated 😞

The Microsoft fix only removes the "Secure Boot is not configured correctly" watermark. You can find a link to this fix in one of the threads for that issue, cl-albert as a link in a reply near the end of the thread.

what do u think ?! should i search and find a "windows 8.1 RTM single language" iso ?

I think the install and activation should work this same for you and all you need to do it change the product Key to the Win 8 PRO key you should have?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

mehdi_moha
Level 8
MaaaaaaAAAAAn

i know the best way is buy the pro key .

but we already have single language key , i want to use that !!!

and @GottiBoi55 , i've run that command , but activation is failed 😞

should i recover my os again ( reverse back to 8 single language ) , then find SL RMT iso and upgrade to 8.1 ?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
mehdi.moha wrote:

and @GottiBoi55 , i've run that command , but activation is failed 😞

should i recover my os again ( reverse back to 8 single language ) , then find SL RMT iso and upgrade to 8.1 ?

Sorry, this may not be related to your issue, but hopefully it can help others know what to expect.
If you still have the original ASUS factory Win8 recovery partition intact (maybe not?) and recover back to Win8 to activate you shouldn't have any problems with activation after you update to Win8.1 through Windows Store.

Things sound a bit more 'complicated' with activation if you try to upgrade to 8.1 by ISO or other means, but it's not something I've looked into much really if you want to check with others.

Also, if it matters, wondering if you go back to your Win8 single language is it the Win8 Pro version and were you trying to upgrade to Win8.1 Pro via ISO from a normal Win8 version? There might be issues if you aren't upgrading to the same Win8.1 or Win8.1 Pro version?

If your Win8 is actvated when you upgrade to Win8.1 via Windows Store though, it should still stay activated.

Feel free to ignore my post if necessary and sorry if I'm not able to help.

cl-Albert wrote:
Sorry, this may not be related to your issue, but hopefully it can help others know what to expect.
If you still have the original ASUS factory Win8 recovery partition intact (maybe not?) and recover back to Win8 to activate you shouldn't have any problems with activation after you update to Win8.1 through Windows Store.

Things sound a bit more 'complicated' with activation if you try to upgrade to 8.1 by ISO or other means, but it's not something I've looked into much really if you want to check with others.

Also, if it matters, wondering if you go back to your Win8 single language is it the Win8 Pro version and were you trying to upgrade to Win8.1 Pro via ISO from a normal Win8 version? There might be issues if you aren't upgrading to the same Win8.1 or Win8.1 Pro version?

If your Win8 is actvated when you upgrade to Win8.1 via Windows Store though, it should still stay activated.

Feel free to ignore my post if necessary and sorry if I'm not able to help.

Kudos to you, cl-Albert (AKA Super Mod)
GottiBoi55
Asus
Samsung
SanDisk
p Aquos 32"

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
GottiBoi55 wrote:
Kudos to you, cl-Albert (AKA Super Mod)

Just trying to help out GottiBoi55, and wanted to thank you for taking your time and effort to help (as well as everyone else helping out and participating on these forums) as always!