cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xonar Phoebus Solo Buzzing Noise

Adrian_H
Level 7
Hello. When I use microphone, connected to the Xonar Phoebus, it sends buzzing noise, which is getting worse, when GPU is under load. I've tried many things to solve this problem. I changed slots for sound card without effect. I used newest drivers, and tried without any drivers too. I tried taking boost to 0 and it did not help at all. I use my headset with Realtek HD Audio ALC 889, witch doesn't makes that noises at all. I saw that somebody post that problem, and there was no solution at all for it. So please asus, tell me, what can i do to make it work? Should i send it to warranty, or return it, because it won't be repaired? Best regards.

Adrian.
11 REPLIES 11

pandiapanda
Level 7
Welcome ! I have the same issue, and we are many in the same ****... You can do nothing for that, there is no solution.

Adrian_H
Level 7
Is there a chance, that when i will use warranty, they will return to me phoebus without that issue?

KILLER_K
Level 10
If the card is still in the return time. Return it and try another. If it does the same then you will know what you need to do then.

The normal phoebus i run has made this noise in 3 different computers (very different HW in them), but only in win8/8.1, in 7 it's fine (at lower boost). To mitigate the humming in 8/8.1 you can lower the mic boost from 30 to 20 or 10 or even 0 and make sure the mic volume is set to 0dB in the phoebus control panel, then open up any voip and test how much boost you can have before the humming starts, running a gpu stress test at the same time helps (kombustor or similar).

Another thing to try is to run the power to the card a different way, meaning try and use a pci-e 6 pin adapter from 4 pin molex or any other way you can, this way the card might get a cleaner source of power (separated from the gpu). Another thing to try is to clamp on some ferrite cores on the power cables running from the psu to the gpu and the soundcard. This card is horribly sensitive to ripples and noise on the power.

One other thing to try is to run with windows built in drivers and see how it does on them.
| Sabertooth p67 rev b | i7 2600k @4,8GHz | 2x8GB 2133MHz Corsair | MSI GamingX GTX 1080@2125MHz | 256GB Samsung 840Pro | MX300 1TB | 2x 120GB Intel 510 | Xonar Phoebus | Zalman ZM-850HP | Logitech G810 & SS Rival 500 | Acer Z35 |

Adrian_H
Level 7
For me it isn't fine with Win7 and it's independent from drivers.

Have you tried feeding it power a different way? Point being try and separate it as much as you can from the gpu.
| Sabertooth p67 rev b | i7 2600k @4,8GHz | 2x8GB 2133MHz Corsair | MSI GamingX GTX 1080@2125MHz | 256GB Samsung 840Pro | MX300 1TB | 2x 120GB Intel 510 | Xonar Phoebus | Zalman ZM-850HP | Logitech G810 & SS Rival 500 | Acer Z35 |

Adrian_H
Level 7
Yes

KILLER_K
Level 10
Sounds like you have covered all the trouble shooting on it. Now you got three choices. Good luck on your choice.
a) Return it if you can and try another.
b) Do a RMA and hopefully get one back that does work.
c) Get a refund and wait until they actually support the sound card.

Glasofruix
Level 8
Or try to isolate the card from the case. I had a similar problem with my x-fi forte before, i took it out and taped some electrician's tape all around the metal parts, the noise was gone (and my card broke because of a production flaw a couple of weeks after the warranty had expired)