cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage IV Extreme is new, won't post out of box!

Jiffer
Level 7
Hey everyone,

So I've been out the the PC building community for some time now, Have an Asus G75 nootbook along with my out of date PC. However I just was given as a gift an entire PC build, which is why I am posting this message.

So first off lets list all the new goodies I got to build this PC and maybe you guys can help me from there:

CPU is: Intel i7- 4820K 3.7 Ghz 10MB cache LGA2011 130W
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory (RAM): PC3-15000 1866MHz 4x8GB Kit DDR3 (32GB total) of Patriot Viper. The brand is "Patriot"
Graphics Card: XFX ATI Radeon 6970 2GB
Power Supply: ThermalTake 850W, (i don't know specifics off hand, has lots of ports on it)
I'm using the Cosair H80i water cooling CPU block.
And its all mounted in a Antec 1200 Case.

Also I have a munch of Hard Drives, but the one I'm using for this build is a Samsung 500GB SSD.

Yeah all that was a gift to me. pretty cool I think so.

So I got all this hooked up correctly but when I turn it on it does not post. I've tried reseeding everything several times, no post.

So here is how it works, I flip on the power, it turns on for about 5 seconds shuts off then turns on again,. no post at this point but I do have 2 Green LED's and one solid read LED by the 20+4 power connector, I read the manual this LED is the CPU indicator. I also have a 00 in red in the corner display, I read online this is a CPU issue. Checked all my pins and connections on the board and the CPU chip, everything seems to be in order. Still no post.

I've called Asus tech support, which by the way is pretty cool, they made me do a Cmos reset and still no post, The tech couldn't figure it out, he told me the CPU is pry fine along with the mother board. He said the board would not turn on if there was a CPU issue or board issue. He then told me that Asus didn't support Patriot Memory (RAM). He told me I should try another vender that they support.

I guess my question is, does this seem right? I've had lots of Asus boards from back in the day and they all seem to work well with my Patriot RAM. Even my bro is using Patriot Ram in his build, however he does not own this same board.

So anyone got any ideas, do you guys think its my CPU or board, or power supply. It seems like I'm getting enough power to all my devices.

I just trying to find something thats why im reaching out here.

My other question is: Do I have to do a Bios update or something right out of the box if its not posting or does it have to post first to do a bio update? to be honest I don't even know what Bios is in package let alone what to update to?
3 REPLIES 3

Baalberith_NL
Level 10
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Most Obvious solution for u is to flash it to the latest BIOS version. Out of the box the motherboard doesnt support the 4xxx processors.
See the sticky on how to flas the BIOS using a USB stick, after that u will have your sustem up and running 🙂
AMD 5900X
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
64GB G. Skill 3600Mhz C16
Cooler Master Master Liquid PL360 Flux
Be Quiet Dark Power 12 Pro 1500Watt
2 x Samsung 980Pro 1TB
1 x 10TB WD Black
1 x Asus Strix RTX 3080Ti OC
CoolerMaster C700M
Samsung G7 Odyssey 32inch

Zka17
Level 16
Welcome to the ROG Forum, Jiffer!

Regarding the RIVE and memories - you have to know that this X79 platform is very picky about the RAM... use a single quad channel kit, never mix two dual channels, or two quad channels...

Have you plugged all the CPU power connectors? Both the 8-pin and the 4-pin ones?

Be careful, do not mix the 6+2 pin PCIe connector with the 4+4 pin CPU power...

Check the sticker near the SATA ports, the last four digits indicates the BIOS version - then you can check if that version supports the 4820k CPU...

Sometimes, incompatible memory can give that 00 code - for the beginning you could try only one stick in one of the furthest red slots...

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you look at the last four digits on the white sicker near the 24 Pin and SATA ports that is your shipping bios.

See if your board is shipped ready for the 4 series processor.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.