cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on Warranty Problem

bitt3n
Level 7
I recently sent my G53SW-XN1 notebook in for servicing (bad screen) and I'm having a problem getting it serviced. The unit has a 1 Year Accidental Damage Warranty, plus it came with a warranty card that said "Register within 60 days and get an extra one year Accidental Damage Warranty," which I did. I mailed the unit in during the second year, figuring it would be repaired under warranty.

The RMA center emailed me back saying that the warranty is no longer valid, because, under their interpretation, the "extra one year Accidental Damage Warranty" I received actually only applies "Accidental Damage" coverage to the first year.

This appears directly to contradict the warranty specification, which describes the standard warranty as "1 year ASUS Accidental Damage Warranty - Drops, Fire, Spill, Surge" (as listed under the specifications tab here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230027 )

It appears logically inconsistent to profess that the extra 1 year of accidental damage protection, plus the original 1 year of accidental damage protection equal in total only 1 year of accidental damage protection.

Have I misunderstood the warranty terms? To me this appears to be a clear-cut case of a product that is in warranty not being serviced under warranty. The RMA center offered to perform the service for free but charge for the parts, but on principle it doesn't seem fair to pay to have the notebook repaired in this circumstance. What should I do?
30 REPLIES 30

chrsplmr
Level 18
First .. Welcome to ROG.

PM cl-Albert with your RMA information and ask that he look into this for you.
[Under 'Notifications' above you will find the 'inbox' and there you will find
'Send New Message' - simply type 'cl-Albert' in 'Recipient Users'] Include a link
to this Thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39454-Need-advice-on-Warranty-Problem

Best of Luck. Please keep us posted.c.

chrsplmr wrote:
First .. Welcome to ROG. (Relieved that this in not yet Another broken power input pin.)

PM cl-Albert with your RMA information and ask that he look into this for you.
[Under 'Notifications' above you will find the 'inbox' and there you will find
'Send New Message' - simply type 'cl-Albert' in 'Recipient Users'] Include a link
to this Thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39454-Need-advice-on-Warranty-Problem

Best of Luck. Please keep us posted.c.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have PM'd cl-Albert

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi bitt3n,

Thanks for sending me your rma number and feel free to PM me if you prefer.

1. Sorry for the confusion, but the Accidental Damage Protection (the name has been changed) is only included in addition to the 1st year of standard warranty provided that you register within 60 days and meet the requirements mentioned at this webpage http://www.service.asus.com/#!register-adp/c203q, so it's not something you will receive automatically by doing nothing and not all ASUS notebooks are eligible for this.

The warranty card that mentioned "Register within 60 days and get an extra one year Accidental Damage Warranty" is referring to this first year of Accidental Damage Protection that you can receive on top of your standard (non-accidental) warranty by following the terms that were outlined (so you would go from zero to 1-year of Accidental Damage Protection for the first year by fulfilling all the requirements).
It may help if you read it this way: Register within 60 days and get an extra ... 'one year Accidental Damage Warranty' (on top of the standard warranty).

2. Also, I was checking your rma number/serial number and it appears your unit came with 1-year standard warranty and you are past the warranty period, so unfortunately, repairs are no longer covered for your notebook so that's why we need to charge for the artifacting problem you are seeing.
Not sure if it's a temperature issue that can be solved by repasting thermal grease and cleaning/replacing fans, but you may need to decide if you want to pay us to fix it, or just get it back and try some things on your side to solve it.
If you're interested, you may want to post in the "Older G Series Notebooks" section for more suggestions, but it's possible some hardware needs to be replaced.
Sorry to give you the bad news and hope it makes a little more sense now, but you may want to discuss more with our customer service if necessary.

3. As far as the DC jack issue goes, if you see problems again with it later, you may still want to contact ASUS support about it if necessary just to see what can be done since there are some conditions where it may still be covered last I heard.

Hope this helps.

cl-Albert wrote:
Hi bitt3n,

Thanks for sending me your rma number and feel free to PM me if you prefer.

1. Sorry for the confusion, but the Accidental Damage Protection (the name has been changed) is only included in addition to the 1st year of standard warranty provided that you register within 60 days and meet the requirements mentioned at this webpage http://www.service.asus.com/#!register-adp/c203q, so it's not something you will receive automatically by doing nothing and not all ASUS notebooks are eligible for this.

The warranty card that mentioned "Register within 60 days and get an extra one year Accidental Damage Warranty" is referring to this first year of Accidental Damage Protection that you can receive on top of your standard (non-accidental) warranty by following the terms that were outlined (so you would go from zero to 1-year of Accidental Damage Protection for the first year by fulfilling all the requirements).
It may help if you read it this way: Register within 60 days and get an extra ... 'one year Accidental Damage Warranty' (on top of the standard warranty).

2. Also, I was checking your rma number/serial number and it appears your unit came with 1-year standard warranty and you are past the warranty period

I'm afraid I have to agree with chrsplmr here in saying that no reasonable person could interpret "1 year ASUS Accidental Damage Warranty - Drops, Fire, Spill, Surge" (taken verbatim from the product specification provided in the link from my original post) as meaning other than that the unit came with a 1 year warranty against accidental damage.

Further, no reasonable person could interpret ASUS's promise of an "extra one year Accidental Damage Warranty" (taken verbatim from ASUS's own warranty document) to mean other than that the purchaser receives a year more accidental damage protection than that included with purchase of the notebook.

Since the notebook, by the listed specifications, already includes one year of accidental damage protection, no reasonable person could interpret the additional "extra" year as being other than a second year of protection.

Whether this is what ASUS actually meant to provide is immaterial. The product warranty specification does not say "standard warranty". It explicitly states "Accidental Damage Warranty". Simply put, the company should stick by its words. I would not have purchased this unit had the documentation not clearly indicated the total warranty to be two full years.

I'm not trying to get something for which I am not entitled here. I feel like I've been tricked, and I'm troubled by the cavalier nature of ASUS's response thus far, given the clarity of the facts.

chrsplmr wrote:

Please see this from Asus as well : http://www.asus.com/support/images/pdf/e8549_nb-warranty-card_148x105mm_final_0827.pdf

From NewEgg Page: (img)

The image chrsplmr posted clearly backs up my case. The original warranty is "1 Year ASUS Accidental Damage Warranty". That is what you get when you purchase the unit. The warranty card included with the notebook states, verbatim, "Register within 60 days and get an extra one year Accidental Damage Warranty." (This line is quoted on numerous forums involving warranty discussions of this and other ASUS laptops.)

How can the one year Accidental Damage Warranty provided with the unit, plus the "extra one year Accidental Damage Warranty" possibly, under any reasonable definition of the term "extra," total to one year of Accidental Damage Warranty protection?

If someone can explain this to me, I will cheerfully drop any complaint I have regarding the matter.

As for the PDF, that appears to be the standard warranty document. It does not include accidental damage protection. The product specifications clearly indicate the warranty included is a "1 Year ASUS Accidental Damage Warranty".

I see only two options here. Either the original specifications are incorrect, in which case the product appears to have been inadvertently misadvertised, or else the original specifications are correct, in which case the warranty should clearly cover two years.

Please note the following ADP warranty booklet scan from a customer's G series laptop :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jyhk1wt2pfb1v1/SCAN1306_000.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivahxcu8x4on627/SCAN1307_000.pdf

** I'm going to upload the older style warranty card when I get home as well

***https://www.dropbox.com/s/67i0ghlophnm3xi/adwcardoldg.png

I can see where the confusion is now.

By their wording you *should* have 2YR ADW on that unit.

However, the ADW doesn't cover screen issues. It can only be used for Drops, spills, fires & surge.

bitt3n wrote:
I'm afraid I have to agree with chrsplmr here in saying that no reasonable person could interpret "1 year ASUS Accidental Damage Warranty - Drops, Fire, Spill, Surge" (taken verbatim from the product specification provided in the link from my original post) as meaning other than that the unit came with a 1 year warranty against accidental damage.

Further, no reasonable person could interpret ASUS's promise of an "extra one year Accidental Damage Warranty" (taken verbatim from ASUS's own warranty document) to mean other than that the purchaser receives a year more accidental damage protection than that included with purchase of the notebook.

Since the notebook, by the listed specifications, already includes one year of accidental damage protection, no reasonable person could interpret the additional "extra" year as being other than a second year of protection.

Whether this is what ASUS actually meant to provide is immaterial. The product warranty specification does not say "standard warranty". It explicitly states "Accidental Damage Warranty". Simply put, the company should stick by its words. I would not have purchased this unit had the documentation not clearly indicated the total warranty to be two full years.

I'm not trying to get something for which I am not entitled here. I feel like I've been tricked, and I'm troubled by the cavalier nature of ASUS's response thus far, given the clarity of the facts.

This image clearly backs up my case. The original warranty is "1 Year ASUS Accidental Damage Warranty". That is what you get when you purchase the unit. The warranty card included with the notebook states, verbatim, "Register within 60 days and get an extra one year Accidental Damage Warranty."

How can the one year Accidental Damage Warranty provided with the unit, plus the "extra one year Accidental Damage Warranty" possibly, under any reasonable definition of the term "extra," total to one year of Accidental Damage Warranty protection?

If someone can explain this to me, I will cheerfully drop any complaint I have regarding the matter.

As for the PDF, that appears to be the standard warranty document. It does not include accidental damage protection. The product specifications clearly indicate the warranty included is a "1 Year ASUS Accidental Damage Warranty".

I see only two options here. Either the original specifications are incorrect, in which case the product appears to have been inadvertently misadvertised, or else the original specifications are correct, in which case the warranty should clearly cover two years.
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Shawnnepc wrote:
Please note the following ADP warranty booklet scan from a customer's G series laptop :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jyhk1wt2pfb1v1/SCAN1306_000.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivahxcu8x4on627/SCAN1307_000.pdf

** I'm going to upload the older style warranty card when I get home as well

***https://www.dropbox.com/s/67i0ghlophnm3xi/adwcardoldg.png

I can see where the confusion is now.

By their wording you *should* have 2YR ADW on that unit.

However, the ADW doesn't cover screen issues. It can only be used for Drops, spills, fires & surge.

Thanks those links are very helpful. As for the 2 year ADW covering damage caused if and only if the unit is mistreated, rather than being inclusive of failures that occur under normal operation... to me this reading strains credulity. The original one-year warranty itself (in the pic chrsplmr posted above) is specified as an "Accidental Damage Warranty - Drops, Fires, Spills, Surges," and it seems inconceivable that ASUS actually intended this original warranty to cover only accidents, fires, spills, and surges, and not failures occurring during normal operation of the unit.

chrsplmr
Level 18
OP .. Sorry for the bad News.
cl-Albert .. As always, Thank you for your quick response and going to bat for the OP.

I must take issue with Asus, perhaps, in this case.
Depending on the wording of what was implied/perceived. Either this is a misunderstanding or grimy marketing.
It is my experience with Asus that it is seldom the later as I find them honestly of best intentions.

That said, words mean things. There is quite a difference between 'an additional' one year and an 'upgraded' one year warranty that includes accidental damage.
If the warranty card said register and receive an 'additional' one year accidental damage warranty .. then imho Asus needs to pony up the repair.
The one year warranty is against 'manufacturer defect'. I would, as I believe anyone would, think that 'if'
this laptop is not found to be defective of manufacturer standards within that year, which would be covered, then for any reason, including dropping, getting wet or any other accident for an additional year 'this' laptop will be warranted by Asus 'if' you mail this in within 60 days.
No where, to my knowledge or was it brought to our attention here, did it say Mail the Card in with 60 days
and receive an 'Upgrade' from the standard 1 year warranty against defect to warranty against defect plus accidental damage.

If I have the facts wrong I apologize to Asus. But as I see it at this time adding the 'Upgrade' claim after the
fact is convenient for Asus and not so much for the OP.
Errors should always favor the customer for future customers or potential customers to buy with confidence. Words mean things.imho.c.

chrsplmr
Level 18
I did some research: It does appear as if it does depends on the wording of 'the card'. It clearly states
that the unit has 1 year ADW .. Asus ???

Please see this from Asus as well : http://www.asus.com/support/images/pdf/e8549_nb-warranty-card_148x105mm_final_0827.pdf

From NewEgg Page:

chrsplmr
Level 18
Sadly bitt3n It looks like what Asus intended and NewEgg printed is two different things.
It should of read 1 year manufacturers warranty .. and if you look underneath that is where it
explains that .. parts/labor .. etc.
The accidental was a bonus .. sad .. but unfortunately, I believe true.
Sorry it went this way .. Best of Luck.c.