cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pointing out a Late Fact- Crosshair V Amd 9000 Series CPU

NickT
Level 9
A few months ago a heated debate on the New AMD 220 Watt aka 4 gighertz and the new 5.0 ghtz or 9000 Series Processors. Do not work in the Crosshair Formula V only the Crosshair-Z so many Admins said it did, while 3-4 dedicated people on here supported me. The admins said, no bios update is needed. Just pop it in and your good to go. Well theirs no more support after 2.5 years off little enhancements like the Crosshair II got clost to 5 years.

Tis written on Newegg.com it will not work with the Crosshair V, and only a select 3 boards are officially supported. And I see no proof on AMD.com or anywhere on the web official support. I'd really like that bios update, now that the prices have come down substantially.

I suppose IF my board died 1 once more I'm taking Corporates in California's offer for the Formula -Z..... Just saying. :mad:
13 REPLIES 13

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
You say it doesn't work with the Crosshair V Formula and yet, HiVizMan has stated countless times that he has gotten it to work with a 9590.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Not really sure what all you have said but I suspect it is because English is not my first language.

What I did understand was that you seem to think that the 9 series processors will not work on the Crosshair V board? Is that correct?

If yes.

That is not true they do work on the Formula v board, I have used the 9350 and the 9370 on the non Z board. I have the screenshots to prove it too as I used that board to break the AMD world record in 32mil Super PI.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

No this is what I said now and I said then. I wont take a Super Moderator over the actual company confirming it. No I won't pay 800.00 for the top end of em to work. Put yourself in my shoes, someone you know whom is still someone off an expert, says ya it works, but the maker doesnt back it. Ah heck you get the picture, dont ya???

What we have here, is proof of life/concept from ASUS. Which we have not got. 😛

Read the words careful, slowly thomas, slowly thomas, say Kevin. That's a concept from Thomas the Train off England. My son watches...

I mean I called my friend who works in R and D at IBM, says the same there, once they get something out the door for a customer, that said customer has too put their stamp on it too before it can be officially said yes it works. Apologies, but I know not what else to say.

FYI I tossed in an 8350 from a 1090T. I'd rather have spent extra on the 9000s. Be glad to show proof. 😉

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Fun fact for you dude, Viz isn't just a Mod, he's a Pro Overclocker who loves to play with all the latest kit he can get his hands on. Plus user confirmation is all you should need plus Flank3r, who is a Pro Overclocker and Hardware Reviewer says it works too.

Poco_OM
Level 10
I have seen the "9590" running on a Crosshair IVE , "Asus did say that all 990FX chipset motherboards are compatible without a bios update."

A question if I may, do you even own a 9series FX chip?
I ask because it seems to be your opinion rather than your experience, please correct me if I am wrong.

Have to keep posting for the people whom dont read. I dropped in a 8350. I would like to get a 9000s series if ASUS and AMD posted official proof.

Most sensible people dont always just go spend 800.00 on an item someone says works without official proof. I don't know thats just me. Your free to do whatever you please of course.

Please send me an Official Link on AMD's website or ASUS that says in plain english referencing the Crosshair V and were all golden.
My whole point is to get proof from either company. Not just aka someone's proof/opinion. Even if they know it works. If you willing to give 800.00 I'll go ahead and get it. No Problem. Guys, I'm not being rude, not being stupid, not asking a hard question. HAS Amd or Asus given proof from say R and D or testing and come out to say yes, got read on (X) website for the facts.

I want a 9000 series, not just based on first hand experience, does that work??

Thanks again!

~~~~George Carlin- Never Argue with an Idiot~~~

Poco_OM
Level 10
Okay some updates for you, the 9 series had a major price cut, I paid less than 250 for my 9590. These CPU's are not long out, and currently only 3 or 4 boards confirm to be compatible. That does not mean they are the only ones, just these are the ones the company's are happy to put there name to without requiring a Bios update.

Not sure why you can not find that information yourself, but none the less here is a link from Asus stating what I quoted earlier.
http://rog.asus.com/261142013/crosshair-motherboards/asus-announces-full-support-for-amd-fx9590-and-...

On a final factoid, most of us here who give our time to help do not work for Asus or Amd, and I am pretty sure we get no other perks than a thank you for our efforts. As a result we can not speak in an offical capacity like you are asking, and unless one of the actual Asus paid mods wishes to comment, I expect this may be the best you get on the topic. That does not mean the information we can share is of any less value, and in some cases it is seen as better than the source who has a vested intrest in the product.

You have been given assurances that this combination will work, but if you wish to ignore that and wait, so be it. I know I am enjoying my 9 series CPU and I am sure those who got their hands on multiple CPU's have also.

Hopefully this has resolved your issues?

chrsplmr
Level 18
Nick .. Viz said "I have the screenshots to prove it too as I used that board to break the AMD world record in 32mil Super PI."
Case Closed.

That said .. make sure you have adequate cooling and the extra plug plugged in and your off to the races.
The 9000 series is, as it has been stated, just a higher 'binned' version of the 8350.
No new bios is needed.
The Z is a revision on the Original V .. a few more bells and whistles .. but it is pretty much the
same board.
If you want the Z for the few extras, get it. If you want to run a 9000 series .. you got a board
that does it ..
Take into consideration of this .. Others are OverClocking the 8350's to 5.2Ghz.

Best of Luck. Keep us posted.c.

Well that was much indeed a better answer. However I want you too have a real world example in case some have had say this happen: Hypothetical- Your looking for a new car. Your friend says it has everything you need it's compatible with your life style. Do you A. Go buy just because your friend said so or B. Buy it based on a couple of things, you test drove, the maker is well known, has proven themselves. AKA your buying based on tangible proof that you can see. Not taking the car into possession on a whim.

And no. I wouldnt take the MODs or Users comments to say ya it works, I'm gonna go buy it. And potentially waste 600-800 depending on Which 9000s, one you choose. Your going to do the smart an intelligent thing, Confirm with the producer/aka maker of said goods.

I do have to give credit were its do though, I would also buy it with end user suggestions. Cause they been their done that. I'd use both not just one. Does anyone see my point now? You guys are sure off some fine caliber, but your also like some off my neighors. I dont know, and wouldnt just go buy this fancy new tool at the hardware store just cause he said its, excellent. Its your money (my money) thats in play at this game. All the cards are dealt the deal just has to a good one, not a Fold.