Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Nvidia GTX 480 IHS removal the naked GPU

V2-V3
Level 8
ASUS NVIDIA GF100, Fermi GTX 480 Graphics card naked IHS removal

Enjoy 🙂

The IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) was removed in preparation for some LN2 action! soon she will be conformal coated and mounted up with a Kingpin Fatboy LN2 pot. With the IHS, and the poor thermal interface material gone GPU contact and thermal transfer will be far improved.

results will be coming 😄

6 REPLIES 6

AnthonyLackey
Level 9
Looks cool ... Can't wait to see that under some LN2 !

Retired
Not applicable
hey, how did you take off the ihs? I'm planning on doing that to my gtx 460 as well. Did you use razors to cut the rubber, and let it pop off? I think the ihs is just held on by tim correct?

V2-V3
Level 8
The TIM dows not hold the IHS onto the die,

The IHS can be removed by Extreme temperature change like -196c to +140c and back down to -196c after it heats up to room temperature just pry on the IHS or pull it off 🙂

4 razor blades in the corners can help if you run into trouble.

if you dont want to use temperature you can cut the black rubber under the 4 sides of the IHS with a slim razor, dont go too deep or you will hit the resistors next to the GPU die

Retired
Not applicable
how much would that help if it's only on stock?

ottoyu34
Level 9
such a big die.

V2-V3
Level 8
Stock cooling presents an issue when you remove the IHS as the cooler is designed specifically to have the IHS in place and wen it is removed the stock cooler has issues making proper contact with the exposed die, Removal of the IHS is best used with after market cooling solutions.

however when I replaced the stock Thermal Interface Material with ICY Diamond between the die and the IHS and the IHS and the stock heat sink I observed a 13c temperature drop under load while overclocked to 900Mhz when compared to stock cooling @ 900Mhz loaded