cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750jw: Resistance when using left side USB 3.0 ports

Arkatakor
Level 7
A few months back, I acquired an ASUS G750jw. After about a month of usage it developed some permanent display problem in windows and even on startup (green spots appearing all over the screen, causing windows 8 crashes and whatnot). No attempt to uninstall / reinstall drives worked. Finally I sent it to the repair shop and they resolved the issue. According to them, a manufacturing fault was the cause of a loose connection between the GPU and the LCD. When they gave me back the laptop, a USB port on the left side of the laptop was not working. I gave it back to them and after keeping it for over a month they sent it to Asus who refunded them the laptop. The shop in turn gave me a new one.

I have noticed in my earlier Asus G750jw and now in this newer G750jw the same thing: It is very difficult to plug any USB device (mouse, external hard drive) in the left USB ports. There is a lot of resistance such that you would think that the USB devices are not meant to be plugged in there. With enough force, one can get it in and it works. On the right hand side, no problem, USB devices plug in instantly. Whats up with that? Could this have caused the downfall of the left hand USB 3.0 port on the G750jw I previously owned?

EDIT: one thing that needs to be clarified; this laptop has been unboxed as of 3 days so checking for dust or potential damage is not exactly on the todo list. I am talking about out-of-the-box resistance on the left side USB ports.
7 REPLIES 7

Maxter
Level 9
Interesting, my USB port on the left feels just like the one on the right. Check for dust and such inside the usb ports and in the connecting plug (thumb drive or mouse). Look at it with a flash light too (I doubt, however, that they gave you 2 laptops with the same issue). An experience of mine, when I got the ASUS G1S a while back, I kept getting BSOD because of a misconnection between the GPU and the mobo. I returned the laptop to bestbuy and they gave me a new one. Still same issue, I returned the laptop and gave me a new one. Same issue again. This time, they had no more laptops so they sent me to another bestbuy to get the 4th one. This last one lasted me 6 years... So if the issue persists, go back. You payed good money, so everything has to work fine.

Ok one thing that needs to be clarified; this laptop has been unboxed as of 3 days so checking for dust or potential damage is not exactly on the todo list. I am talking about out-of-the-box resistance on the left side USB ports.

Maxter wrote:
An experience of mine, when I got the ASUS G1S a while back, I kept getting BSOD because of a misconnection between the GPU and the mobo. I returned the laptop to bestbuy and they gave me a new one. Still same issue, I returned the laptop and gave me a new one. Same issue again. This time, they had no more laptops so they sent me to another bestbuy to get the 4th one. This last one lasted me 6 years... So if the issue persists, go back. You payed good money, so everything has to work fine.
This was exactly the issue with my first g750jw. They do here, attempt to repair it as opposed to giving you a new one. If this issue repeats itself then I will have to tell them that I am on to a bad batch.

I had a similar problem with my G75VW and the speeds varied on the 2 left side plugs depending on how I plugged them in, sometimes I got USB 3 speeds and other times I got USB 2 speeds. Also if I wiggled them a little the speeds would change while transferring, so I finally sent this laptop in for RMA and it was repaired properly.
The Asus tech in Toronto told me that the 2 USB ports on right side were part of the motherboard but the 2 on the left side were like an add on card which is what they replaced, remember that I said there was wiggle room for these so it sounds like they might have tightened them up a little for the new model G750. Hope this helps, I get my new G750jx this week so I'll be sure to check these out for speed issues.

Arkatakor wrote:
Ok one thing that needs to be clarified; this laptop has been unboxed as of 3 days so checking for dust or potential damage is not exactly on the todo list. I am talking about out-of-the-box resistance on the left side USB ports.

This was exactly the issue with my first g750jw. They do here, attempt to repair it as opposed to giving you a new one. If this issue repeats itself then I will have to tell them that I am on to a bad batch.

If you take it in within 15 days, the protocol is to hand you a new one (ask to pick it up at another store - it's worth the drive if you get it from different batch)

Arkatakor wrote:

If you take it in within 15 days, the protocol is to hand you a new one (ask to pick it up at another store - it's worth the drive if you get it from different batch)

Randomname
Level 8
Maybe you've damaged them somehow, look at all the USB's you are using and check for damage on them, like if they are bent or something like that, because I went over one with my chair and that's how I've damaged one of my USB ports on my desktop 🙂
ASUS G750JH-T4086D
CPU: Intel Quad Core I7-4700HQ@ 2.4GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M
RAM: 16GB
Memory: 1TB + 250GB SSD (Samsung 840 EVO 250GB)
Display: Anti-Glare (yup, I'm bragging about it :P)

I have a JX. My left side USB ports have been "stiff" since I got the laptop. The right side ports feel more secure, and smoother when inserting/removing anything (flash drive, mouse, etc).

I haven't had any real problems though. Also, it sounds like my issue is less severe than yours.
ASUS G750JX-TB71

• CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
  • Screen: 17.3' Full HD Matte Screen @ 100Hz
  • Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz. RAM 2x8
  • Storage: 500GB SSD 850 EVO + 750GB HDD @ 7200rpm
  • TC: IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU