cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[G46VW] : Need help identifying the Bios Chip

labraloutre
Level 7
Hi there,

can someone help me identify the Bios Chip of the G46VW (you can refer to the picture of the motherboard attached or linked here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/k92m0pfxpgt3w1o/DSC01618.jpg)
I'm trying to dump the chip but I can't identify the model of the chip,
and the 3 chips I tried give me empty files when trying to read them.

For the records, I'm trying to revive my bricked G46, I strongly suspect a Bios Issue
The Ctrl-Home procedure in various context - With/without hard drive, SSD, USB key gave no result,
then I would like to get a new bios chip, but the seller need the dump of the actual file.
My idea is also to check wether the chip is broken or not by copying my friend's bios dump into mine

I have access to my bricked G46 and a working one a friend lent me for a few weeks
I also have access to a cheap ebay eeprom programmer which I hope will help me reading the chip

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4

Retired
Not applicable
Normally laptops have bios chip 8-pin, in this picture there are 2 such chips, one is close to that big square chip at the top right, the other is on the right side of the gpu fan. Search the web code on the chip.

labraloutre
Level 7
OK thanks, I guess I found it (right of the GPU fan)
Engravings say 24Q64FVSIG which according to google is a winbond bios chip
Unfortunately my programmer is still unable to read it .

I'm trying to read it with a clip directly on the motherboard with nothing plugged to the MB
No power, battery unplugged and CMOS battery removed
Any idea anybody ?

Pitcher1
Level 9
i suggest you sent to service center, they can help you flash back to correct BIOS version.

labraloutre
Level 7
Thanks for the tip, but as I tried to service it on my own and think my warranty is voided and after all I read about RMA in my country, I prefer to find a solution without implying service center. I know it may sound strange but that's the way I'd like to deal with this issue.

Anyway, after more reading and now I know the chip reference, I've understood my programmer won't be working with this chip model, then, I'll go for finding a programmer compatible with this chip and report back when I'll have some new informations.