Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array twisted1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scblacksunshine View Post
    I think I wish Fan Xpert II have is the ability to adjust fan speed based on GPU temp instead of CPU temp. I get that CPU temp should be the main measurement in regards to CPU heatsink fans but in my case with the toasty R9 290, I really wish I can change two of the fan used on the aftermarket VGA cooler to change speed based on a GPU temp since some games will only bring temp of CPU up to mid 40s in my rig while GPU is running at 80+
    You can always connect a temp probe to the mobo-pins next to the OPT fans. And just connect the temp probe to the gpu. And done

ROG Member Array

That's a good idea...I guess I can buy a temp probe cable but can you control OPT fan or chassis fan temperature by temp probe though? I don't see that option in Fan Xpert or in BIOS?

What board are you on? I'm on a Maximus V Gene atm. and that doesn't have OPT fans.

If you check under opt fans in fan expert, you'll see that the temp indicator is not moving at all, since there is no temp sensor connected to the temp header. Will check back when I'm on the Extreme board.

ROG Member Array

I have the Maximus VI Formula..I guess I can connect the GPU cooler fan to a chassis Fan as well but can I actually control fan speed then by temperature probe? I don't see that option as being even possible in BIOS or Fan Xpert 2. Also, where should I attach the temp probe to the GPU? I am assuming the back of the GPU?

Hmm, it's hard to explain. If you have a look at the image below. The yellow dot with the HUGE red arrow is the temp.

If you switch to a OPT fan the temp dot will not be moving at all(I think) When you connect a temp probe it will start moving.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	632.4 KB 
ID:	29960

Yeah the back will probably be fine, it doesn't really matter if you don't get the exact temp as long as the temp increases like the gpu temp does.

ROG Member Array

Good to know, I will give it a try when I get a thermal cable. Still won't control chassis or CPU fan by thermal cable though, I think those fans are control by onboard temp sensor? Also, in Fan Xpert 2 I noticed I don't even have the ability to change anything like Chassis or CPU and CPU_OPT fans, only time I can change the setting is in BIOS and the temperature is pretty simple in comparison to Fan Xpert 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Scblacksunshine View Post
    Good to know, I will give it a try when I get a thermal cable. Still won't control chassis or CPU fan by thermal cable though, I think those fans are control by onboard temp sensor? Also, in Fan Xpert 2 I noticed I don't even have the ability to change anything like Chassis or CPU and CPU_OPT fans, only time I can change the setting is in BIOS and the temperature is pretty simple in comparison to Fan Xpert 2.
    The fan connectors that have 2 pins beside them, those are the ones that can be controlled by OPT temp.

I have tried connecting temp sensors and the temp shows. I personally like a fan controller better but that's just my personal opinion.

If you want to run another fan of the GPU's fan connector you can get one of these..

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Henkenator68NL PC Specs
    Henkenator68NL PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 5960X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Graphics Card #1R9-290X
    Graphics Card #2R9-290X Matrix Platinum
    Graphics Card #3HD 6970
    Graphics Card #4HD 5970
    MonitorAcer Predator XB720H 144herz 1ms
    Storage #1Samsung EVO 850 1TB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Watercooled loop
    CaseCooler Master HAFX and Storm Stryker
    Power SupplySeasonic Gold 1250W
    Keyboard Logitech G19
    Mouse RAT 7
    Headset Logitech G35
    Mouse Pad Steel series
    Headset/Speakers Logitech X 5.1 Surround
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by twisted1 View Post
    Hmm, it's hard to explain. If you have a look at the image below. The yellow dot with the HUGE red arrow is the temp.

If you switch to a OPT fan the temp dot will not be moving at all(I think) When you connect a temp probe it will start moving.

Yeah the back will probably be fine, it doesn't really matter if you don't get the exact temp as long as the temp increases like the gpu temp does.
    Actually I noticed a weird thing...

On the maximus v extreme in Fan Xpert 2: you CAN control the opt-FANS

On the maximus VI extreme in Fan Xpert 2: you CAN't control the opt-FANS !!
    so any temperature sensors connected to the opt-temp1 - 3 will not yield any change in fan behavior.

in that perspective on the z77 platform you have more controle over your fans, although I will have to check if the fan profiles behave according to the opt_temp sensor readings (I suspect the are all connected to the CPU temp).

I think we should compile a list with what a tool like Fan Xpert 2 should be able to do and if there are any flaws!
    Please only serious reponses!
    Last edited by Henkenator68NL; 11-24-2013 at 07:17 AM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array EnthusiastBuild's Avatar

Is there a standalone version of Fan Xpert 2? I dont want to use AI Suite 3 again.
    Thanks and good guide / tutorial!
    CORSAIR 900D
    ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA
    INTEL I7 4770K @ 4.5 GHZ
    CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB @ 2400MHZ
    SLI EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
    SSD SYSTEM: CORSAIR FORCE GT 120GB
    SSD APPS: CORSAIR FORCE GT 240 GB
    HDD STORAGE: WD BLACK 2TB
    CORSAIR AX860I PSU
    CORSAIR H100I 4 x SP120 HP

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast