cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win7 Professional won't keep time - Z87 4770K

savage1987
Level 7
Delivered a PC a while ago with Win7 Professional on it, and one thing I didn't even think to check was whether it kept correct time. Evidently it doesn't! From the description, every hour on the hour the time resets to 12:00pm. Is this a known issue with Professional? Any workarounds? I've never seen this before but my experience with Win7 is limited to Home Premium and Ultimate.

So far it's only been tested on overclocked settings, but I've asked the owner to test it at stock clocks and if the problem persists I'm not sure the best path to take from here.

Is there a fault fix for this somewhere?

Maximus VI Hero
4x8GB G.Skill Trident 2400
CPU: FX-8350
Motherboard: Crosshair V Formula-Z
Memory: 12GB Corsair Dominator GT
Graphics Card: MSI HD6950 2GB Twin Frozr II
Hard Drive: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB + WD Caviar Green 2TB
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200 Gold
Case: Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50R
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D14 + Zalman ZM-MFC1 Combo Fan Controller
Monitor: LG Flatron W2253TQ
12 REPLIES 12

Poco_OM
Level 10
Check it does not need a new battery before anything else as this is the most common cause of problems with windows time.

savage1987
Level 7
He is going to try that, I was hoping to gather any further info on possible existence of a deeper issue.
Hard Drive: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB + WD Caviar Green 2TB

Poco_OM
Level 10
It could be corrupted windows files, malicious software etc, however it is more likely to be the battery.

Zka17
Level 16
Windows itself does not keep the time, it's just getting from the mobo BIOS... so, your problem most likely is that your mobo/BIOS is loosing the time... - and yes, that's most likely a battery issue...

Praz
Level 13
Please follow the steps exactly as laid out in the guide linked below.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?36676-Frozen-Time-Clock-in-UEFI-The-Fix&country=&status=

savage1987
Level 7
Yeah, damn, just saw that thread. Why weren't these boards recalled if that "fix" isn't actually a fix... multiple people in there mentioned it hasn't worked long-term.

That and there are several OC Profiles on that system that I DO NOT want to lose from it, since I set them up and the owner is half a continent away. Apparently loading from prior OC Profiles can screw up the time clock again.

I will get him to try it if the battery doesn't work but really, this is a pathetic issue for a RoG board series. He chose RoG for their top quality componentry, not expecting to have to fight through stupid problems like this one.

Is there ANY word on a fix for this in a coming BIOS update?

Poco_OM
Level 10
Is it freezing then?
You did not say that in the problem description, you said it resets itself to 12:00. You also did not state that this issue is in the UEFI, which that fix is clearly for. If this works then sweet, everything is peachy. However if this is not the described problem I still strongly lean towards the battery or and issue with windowstimesync or worse malicious software due to this being reset in windows environment.

savage1987
Level 7
Battery fixed it, thankfully 😄

Happy with that.

Zka17
Level 16
Excellent - now enjoy your system! :cool: