Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    @Marco, I thought I should weigh in on this issue. I think we are discussing two different things, from two different workloads. BSD has certain advantages, and LINUX has certain advantages. It all depends on what you are trying to do with your system. Just like the discussion about DirectX vs OpenGL, Carmack is weighing in as a user, whose loyalty depends on the quality of each competitor. There are advantages to both systems, and depending on your background, you can lean one way or another.
    Currently the only advantage DX has is it's major flaw. That is conformity. The lack of extensions makes it easy to have a uniform API. But you know the other side of that knife as well

@Nodens, LLVM / Clang has gotten a whole lot better in the last few years, their rate of development is actually quite impressive. There are benchmarks that indicate that it can generate "faster" code than GCC, but it depends on compiler flags and particular systems, so its not much of an advantage. As you know, hand-optimized assembly is faster still.
    I am aware of that. But you know that there's no support for LLVM/Clang anywhere outside BSD. Code is not optimized for it, you won't even find projects with something as simple a CMAKE profile for it. And you certainly know what happens when you optimize your code for a toolchain and the next toolchain doesn't like your optimizations

I'm not saying LLVM/Clang is bad. I'm saying it's not supported by anything and cutting off the GCC toolchain when it's the defacto standard on these OS platforms is bad for the OS. It will have people jumping through hoops to get stuff build on BSD..

@Marco, @Nodens point about the licenses are also valid, GPL protects the open source community, and that's why it's so lengthy. BSD does not. If you prefer your work to be usable and proprietizable (<- ?new word? ), the BSD license allows that. The GPL does not. However, @Nodens, there is the LGPL, which is designed to protect code that calls a GPL library, so any changes to the library itself must be released, but not the code that calls said library. In my opinion, each of these licenses has a place. LINUX, last I checked is under GPL v2, because Linus Torvaalds said that there are too many people involved in the LINUX system now that he would have to clear a change to v3 with. He decided to stick to v2 for the time being.
    Yeah Zygomorphic I'm aware of LGPL of course. The Qt framework I'm using for RealBench is licensed under LGPL which allows me to code a closed source application as long as I don't statically link the libraries. LGPL is for libraries indeed and I did not mention it because I thought it was irrelevant. Marco does not even understand the differences between the classic licenses and claims the BSD license is better because it's 2 lines after I explain the difference to him...Go figure..I think mentioning the LGPL would be rather overkill..

As to BSD on the desktop, I can't judge. If more hardware drivers get written, then yes, it could be done. Apple has proved that BSD-derivatives can be used as consumer OS's, at least for limited sets of specific hardware. For the masses of other systems, we can't say at present. Windows manages it, and so does LINUX. BSD could do it, if the developers have the resources - and think it important.
    Exactly. Without support for cutting edge hardware you can't talk about BSD on desktop at all. And I don't see that happening any time soon.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.