cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is LINUX?

TotalONE
Level 7
I know I probably sound lame, but could someone please explain to me what Linux is. I see it a lot in this forums and I have no idea what people talking about 😞
122 REPLIES 122

Retired
Not applicable
Hello, Its a name, a name for a collection of "alternative" OS, with open source code, and the OS is generally free of charge..

So in other words, it does the same things that windows does (roughly), but no Mircosoft involvement..............

I hope my answer served you..

Picture showing" Linus/x" Torvalds, the founder of the Linux core/kernel>

Could you be a little bit more specific? What are the pros of this Linux OP?

WhitePaw wrote:
Hello, Its a name, a name for a collection of "alternative" OS

WRONG !!!

Linux is ONLY a Kernel like Windows has, the NT Kernel ..., The Kernel wich Linus Torvalds has built from an UNIX OS

The Kernel provides all the hardware support even for nvidia graphics cards and amd cards and chips on the motherboard.

A Distribution, is a summary of picked programms, there are diff distribution for diff purposes, for servers, for security reasons, and the newest versions of programms with bugfixes from the programmers

IF you dig deeper, you will find a distribution for all your needs, but linux is NOT the best way to go ... not even windows

BTW, Windows has not a proper way to manage the user controls, on a Linux you will always login as a NORMAL user, on Windows you can login as Admin and can get infected in notime ... as i recently saw on a Win7Pro laptop !

Retired
Not applicable
Was not yesterday i ran LINUX myself, so i think other members got more updated info about that question..

15 years ago i used Mandrake (Linux)..

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The main advantage of the Linux OS, as far as I can tell, is to enhance your forum cred as a cool loner geek who knows the dark arts of alternative OS management and is a Microsoft counter revolutionary and friend of the oppressed MS PC user.

Basically it's yet another ploy to pull grungy alternative chicks.

Main advantages include non-compatability with all programs and peripherals ever invented

*Zygo and Nodens are going to kill me*

http://techroadies.com/adv-and-dis-of-linux/

Thank you, so its basically windows but free. I take it that it runs faster because it does not take as much processes as windows?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
The main advantage of the Linux OS, as far as I can tell, is to enhance your forum cred as a cool loner geek who knows the dark arts of alternative OS management and is a Microsoft counter revolutionary and friend of the oppressed MS PC user.

Main advantages include non-compatability with all programs and peripherals ever invented

TotalONE wrote:
Thank you, so its basically windows but free. I take it that it runs faster because it does not take as much processes as windows?

Something like that I guess...like it's a trimmed down more efficient OS....Windows has a lot of baggage and management problems in it's improvement..it's not interested in speed since businesses don't perceive it's speed to be a problem..

TotalONE wrote:

You can use it, and other free open software that comes with it, you can always decide to donate money to the shosen Distro and their programmers which provides security every day 🙂

Mostly Windows user, use open software and think it is "free of use" ... i payed for my Win license ...

There are differences between Win and Linux, starting with the used file system andthe kernel itself, all the things to know is a "digging deeper" part ...

All i can say, it is much nicer and compfortable TODAY using LINUX as it was 10years ago !!!

For normal use, shoose always linux, for gaming with STEAM in mind too, but other games like those from id software are much more work to run the game from the CD installer with a .run , using Wine is not an option for me ... sorry

There are LIVE CD's to test your Hardware IF it is supported, it should not be a problem, but closed hardware like some sound cards are hard to get to work like creative stuff ... keep hands off them as a free software user then you be just fine

DISTROWATCH provides an overview of free to use OS'es with free software

There are some things to keep an eye on to get a "Distribution" ...

Data integrety, only download with SHA or MD5 checksums with a download manager, i use for Firefox DownThemAll

"Verify your download before use" like in this example on OpenSuse downloads

BTW, i don't use Windows or Linux, just you know that !

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

hahhaahahhahhaaaa ha.

The perfect tweak for the geek whose windows machine runs without flaw.
[.. said with the greatest of respect to said geek .. lol.] .c.