Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: What is LINUX?

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Antronman's Avatar

Look, Linux is a great OS. For a free, open source OS it is incredible. But "being a gaming forum" Linux does not win at all...Rather, Windows does. Sorry, but support for Linux is extremely limited as you might know. I don't dislike Linux, don't get me wrong. After all, a good chunk of my school installed it on their school-issued netbooks to bypass all the network filters and monitoring. It's just not comparable to Windows when it comes to gaming. And "being a gaming forum"...
    Last edited by Antronman; 12-26-2013 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antronman View Post
    Look, Linux is a great OS. For a free, open source OS it is incredible. But "being a gaming forum" Linux does not win at all...Rather, Windows does. Sorry, but support for Linux is extremely limited as you might know. I don't dislike Linux, don't get me wrong. After all, a good chunk of my school installed it on their school-issued netbooks to bypass all the network filters and monitoring. It's just not comparable to Windows when it comes to gaming. And "being a gaming forum"...
    Yeah, we are primarily a gaming-oriented forum, but we are not just that. We have users who use ASUS equipment, and most often for gaming. I use mine for programming, and actually very little gaming, to be honest. Thus, for some of us who are interested, we also use LINUX. Since we have enough users, we have a section oriented at least in part towards us. We are aware of the relative gaming merits of LINUX and Windows, and that as time passes, LINUX will become another gaming-worthy platform. Valve's porting Steam is the second step in that direction (after John C. of id Software first started with the Quake LINUX port).
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

John Carmack is a personal hero as far as I'm concerned. He blatantly refused to take money from MS to jump on the DirectX bandwagon and stood his ground with OpenGL while being entirely innovating as usual. Not many studios would do that (or should I say almost no one did heh). He has my outmost respect.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Yes, except with DirectX Linux would have much more support, and could be a tech powerhouse.

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

Yes, except with DirectX Linux would have much more support, and could be a tech powerhouse.
    Why? OpenGL is a far superior API than DirectX could ever be and *if* it was supported on Linux, we'd have to wait years between updates...what's so good about that?

More support, more people would use it. Bam. Now Linux is sold for a low, low price. Easy to manipulate, support for tons of games and productivity software.

ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

If DirectX was on Linux, everybody would stop using Linux, period. The idea is to get away from Micro$haft, not cling to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk SilentShadow View Post
    Why? OpenGL is a far superior API than DirectX could ever be and *if* it was supported on Linux, we'd have to wait years between updates...what's so good about that?
    Agreed! I have used both a bit - and COM (which is DirectX's API base) extensively. A C-based API is always better, more portable, and easier to understand. Have you by any chance read John Carmack's OpenGL rant? It's famous, and a good read.

DirectX at it's core isn't bad, it is just the COM they use to run it that stinks.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

Never heard of it Zygo and my brain would probably implode, trying to understand haha

Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

More support, more people would use it. Bam. Now Linux is sold for a low, low price. Easy to manipulate, support for tons of games and productivity software.
    Ehm these statements makes no sense. Why would it have more support? And more support for what? Also all "productivity" software use OpenGL. You keep saying "more support" without any explanation on what you mean by this blanket statement.. Easy to manipulate what? Support for tons of games? How so? Linux providing DX APIs does not immediately make Windows games run on it. They still need porting. Which beats the purpose of using DX in the first place. Steam on Linux/SteamOS and the majority of big game engines providing Linux exporting is what's going on now and is the future of gaming.

I'll second what Zygomorphic said. As a person who works with both *nix and Windows platforms, the COM/DCOM object hell of Windows is very developer unfriendly, frankly a mess. Also in regards to graphic APIs, DirectX has its merits but is vastly inferior to OpenGL as APIs due to extensibility alone. Sure at one point DX was superior feature-wise only but that was only during the time OpenGL had been frozen for years.. which was due to MS antitrust practices (paying developers and producers to adopt DX in order to form a pseudomonopoly--which worked).

Linux means Open. DirectX would be implemented on it in a heartbeat IF MS allowed it. DX is a proprietary/closed API for a reason. That is to force Windows on the consumer PC market via the gaming market. If MS opened the API, it would really have no raison d'etre.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast