cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nvidia bricked my g53sx-a1 laptop

mvella93
Level 7
i was on my laptop yesterday doing updates when i noticed my nvidia drivers were heaps out of date so i got the latest drivers from nvidia for my g53sx and installed them and all was going well
then after it rebooted a nvidia pop up said newer version available click to update .
so i clicked update & clean install
it went through uninstalling drivers and installing new ones then my resolution droped to 800x600 and it started a restart countdown it started shutting down then it seemed to have frozen with black screen so i left it for a hour and nothing happened just black screen
i couldnt get any kind of responce from the laptop so i forced power off .

and now when i press the power button the fans start up
& the number lock & caps lock light turn on and stay on
the screen DOSNT turn on
& no keybord lights
no outputs or sounds
its just like a corrupt or faulty bios but thats the one thing i havnt updated

if it is the bios / bios chip i found a seller on google who selles new bios chips with latest bios for the g53sx series laptops

but i thought i should see if anyone else has had this problem and fixed it
as i dont want to go and replace the bios chip if its not going to fix it or if there's another way of fixing it
4 REPLIES 4

TeRmInAsHuNaToR
Level 7
"it seemed to have frozen with black screen so i left it for a hour and nothing happened just black screen "
Never, ever turn it off.
You will wait, and you wil lwait patiently. Nvidia didn't do this, you did. try plugging in a secondary screen to the laptop to see if you can get SOME display out of it.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Updating the vga driver shouldn't kill the bios though.
Maybe something was going bad around the same time and this just pushed the hardware over the edge (if your system is really dead and not able to get into the bios anymore, it could really be a bad motherboard or vga card as well).

Anyway, if you haven't tried it, tap 'f2' as soon as you power on the unit to confirm you can't get into the bios (or try 'f8' for safe mode?) and if you can remove the hard drives safely, you may want to try this to see if it helps you get into the bios, but shouldn't make a difference really.

Otherwise, we may need to start troubleshooting a system that will not Post or get into the bios, but just wanted to make sure we really need to start worrying about the hardware since this usually shouldn't happen for software changes.

cl-Albert wrote:
Updating the vga driver shouldn't kill the bios though.
Maybe something was going bad around the same time and this just pushed the hardware over the edge (if your system is really dead and not able to get into the bios anymore, it could really be a bad motherboard or vga card as well).

Anyway, if you haven't tried it, tap 'f2' as soon as you power on the unit to confirm you can't get into the bios (or try 'f8' for safe mode?) and if you can remove the hard drives safely, you may want to try this to see if it helps you get into the bios, but shouldn't make a difference really.

Otherwise, we may need to start troubleshooting a system that will not Post or get into the bios, but just wanted to make sure we really need to start worrying about the hardware since this usually shouldn't happen for software changes.

You turned off the computer while updating bios, that's what happens. Try and check the other video outputs with an external monitor. Sometimes with my G73 that has happened in the past (though i don't turn off the computer during a BIOS update) and it sometiems defaults to the VGA Dsub connector. You may get lucky, you may have bricked it.

i get where your coming from but i ( wasnt ) updating the bios just the drivers at the time
when it went black screen i thought i left i on for around a hour but i forgot i went to town
so it was left in its frozen state for a good 4hours or more
ive tried removing hdds did nothing
ive had the ram tested & its fine
ive tried shorting / reseting bios didnt work
checked motherboard & graphics all seem to be fine besides it not starting
well i didnt think nvidia drivers updat bios but if they do then i might just replace the bios chip and problem solved