Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Flea0's Avatar

my laptop often fails to recover from hybernation

I usually prefer to use hybernation instead of shutting down because it lets me keep my folders and files open where I left them.

What has started to happen somewhere after updating to windows 8.1 (I also updated the graphics drivers) is that the laptop shows me the ROG logo when I turn it back on, but then sticks to a black screen. The SSD/HDD is constantly running but nothing happens. Eventually it either reboots or forces me to shut it off. This happens about half of the times I turn it on from hybernation. Any hints?
    Last edited by Flea0; 11-11-2013 at 07:41 PM.
    ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Maxter's Avatar

Which nVidia drivers are you using? version? Are you hibernating or going to sleep? There are 2 options available in P4G...

331.58. I am hibernating, which means I can unplug both the battery and ac power and still resume my session when I turn it back on. I set the power button to hybernate in stead of shutting down, in fact.
    ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

Yeah, those drivers were giving issues to several people with mobile GPU. The new drivers are 331.65 from the nVidia website. These drivers fix that popular issue (this would also be happening sometimes when putting the computer to fast sleep). I recommend you update the drivers. Make sure you select "custom installation" NOT "express installation", and check the "Clean Install" box. Let us know if this solves your problem. Cheers!

In fact, if I do remember correctly, nVidia came out with those drivers and then the next version came out 5 days after (it was also rushed) because of all these issues.

allright, I'll update and hope for the best. thanks for the hint, let's see how it goes.

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

I long ago gave up on hibernation and in fact immediately disable it on any system I set up or reload.
    I opt instead for sleep mode without issue.
    With a laptop you can opt to put it to sleep whenever you close the lid. Everything will be as you left it.
    Best of Luck. Keep us 'posted'.c.

no good. it recovered properly from hibernation the first time, the second time...again a VERY long black screen after the ROG logo before eventually getting to the login screen. What usually takes less than 10 seconds takes several MINUTES, with little to no HDD activity at times either..

Try the official ASUS nVidia drivers from the support.asus.com website. I think the version is 311.93. These drivers were modified to fit the needs of the G750. The ones from the nVidia website are better for gaming, but issues arise (specially the new R331... they are a pos)

if this thing persists, you might do hybernation/sleep via the Power4Gear software (very stable build, when comparing to the one my old ROG G1S had). I do regular sleep with 2 second load up (it is AMAZING!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast