cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High CPU temps and general lagginess [Help]

x70xchallengerx
Level 8
I have a JW that I've had and used alot since day one (being received, ordered the night it came out)

I have done some taxing things like played games such as BF4, FC3 etc (taxing games) and rendered things in Max or Maya for sometimes 30 min to 2 hrs, and nothing has ever seemed out of place...

I just put OS X Mavericks on my laptop, installed on second hard drive, [250GB SSD] --> [1TB HDD] <-- and got it working A-OK.

Now however, I feel a general lagginess that I never really felt on windows (not talking about OS x here) which is really odd..
I'm on 8.1, following the guide posted in these forums to properly upgrade from 8, and everythings been normal since installing OS X... but another weird thing.. Games kind of lag now, I mean I only played SW:tOR for a few minutes but could really tell.. framerates were always 60+ on max but were jumping between 25-30 now.. and I ran a few "benchmarks" with Intel XTU and got scores of 659-662 (which is low?) but my cpu would almost instantly hit 85-90 C.. 😕

Does it sound like changing the boot security settings in the bios would have affected my cpu? also before installing os x, I upgraded my bios from ver 206, to 207, to 208... what about that?

pls help
Asus G750JW-DB71
4 REPLIES 4

Maxter
Level 9
what nVidia driver version have you got?

Hate to sound like the d*mned 'boy who cried wolf' here, but oddly enough after posting this, everything somehow returned to normal. (as far as I can tell). SW:tOR has d*mn near 100+ fps maxed no problem, and everything's as snappy as ever... So weird I have no idea what was going wrong before. Also, I have the newest 331.65 (non-beta) drivers.

Maxter wrote:
what nVidia driver version have you got?
Asus G750JW-DB71

reka121402
Level 7
I had an issue yesterday that was similar, started out in swtor as well. I was playing just fine and then all of a sudden 2sec lag spikes, but they weren't lag spikes because after I quit the entire operating system and all programs had the same 2sec pauses about every 5sec. A shut down/restart fixed the issue and I haven't seen it happen again.

So maybe just a graphics glitch, maybe some background Asus thing causing an issue or maybe it was just swtor (it did update today). Either way I wouldn't worry too much.

Maxter
Level 9
I"ve had random issues as well that fix with a "restart", not a "shutdown". With Win8 and above, everytime you restart, all drivers are unloaded from memory and reloaded, but when you do a shutdown and then a start, some stuff is removed from memory and other stuff is taken and hibernated. This is why we get fast boot. This morning, my keyboard was not working at all, but mouse was. Restarted and i'm back to normal.