Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Dr. Zchivago PC Specs
    Dr. Zchivago PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Lenovo Thinkpad T410
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair V Formula - Z
    ProcessorAMD FX 9590
    Memory (part number)BLE2KIT8G3D1869DE1TX0 (8-8-8-24, 1866 MHz)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS R9 390 STRIX (OC, GAMING)
    Storage #1SG Constellation 6 TB (6x1 TB) RAID 0
    Storage #2SG Constellation 2 TB (2x2 TB) RAID 1
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CaseCaseLabs STH-10
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4
    Mouse Microsoft Sidewinder X5
    Headset Logitech G930
    Mouse Pad Perixx 900x440x3 mm + Steelseries 320x270x3 mm + ALLSOP hard pad
    Headset/Speakers Logitech G930/Altec Lansing 5.1
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)

A question for the Linux power users herein:

The system in question is the one shown in "Dr. Zchivago PC Specs" above my avatar:

Has anyone encountered an issue where Ubuntu install (from Live USB) will run normally, but once installation is complete, the display goes crazy and looks completely distorted? I don't know of a better way to describe it, but everything past boot looks like a Picasso with even less definition. I cannot see any windows, read any text, etc.

I have been told that it is a problem in Crossfire/SLI setups, but everything looked fine when booted to Live USB. I have also tried disconnecting X-Fire bridges, turning cards off, etc., but the problem remains whenever more than one graphics card is installed. With my water setup, it is quite impossible to physically remove any one graphics card without completely tearing down the entire system.

Any thoughts?

Z
    Resistance is futile (at <1 Ohm).

ROG Member Array

Probably a kernel driver or simple config/missing app issue.

I have read the whole kernel configurations options a few times since i build my own kernels for my g53sx gentoo build, so feel free to ask or send kernel .configs and hardware info like lshw lspci dmidecode... if you want me to check wheter your kernel is missing something.

Other than that you could be missing x-11 drivers, apps, or some use flags not enabled in your programs(tends to happen with prebuilt binaries from non source distro)

EDIT: done some quick research and it looks like you also need to install amd catalyst to setup crossfire/sli and possibly tweak .xorg config too in order to get it to work.

SIDE NOTE: Most linux threads seems to mention sli and crossfire as dodgy to enable and configure , mainly because of the lack of documentation on the subject and the fact that most of it is not up to date (because most people dont have a need for it or dont use it)
    Last edited by !llusionist; 04-04-2015 at 04:53 AM.

New ROGer Array

G'day.. I've used a lot of Linux distro's over the years, am currently on Linux Mint and Ubuntu...but my favourite is Mint.

Unfortunately, I cannot get my Mint to work with my current Z97 setup, the Linux graphics drivers for Nvidia cards are woefully bad.

If anyone has been able to get Linux Mint running on a Z97 system with success, please let me know.

Thanks,

J.

New ROGer Array blendedsolids PC Specs
    blendedsolids PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Z87-Pro
    ProcessorIntel i7 4770k Haswell 3.5GHz
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB
    MonitorAsus 21.5 Full HD
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron GTX 2.5 120GB SSD
    Storage #2WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerStock
    CaseCorsair Graphite 600T Arctic white ATX Mid Tower
    Power SupplyCorsair TX750 V2 750W
    Keyboard Logitech K120
    Mouse Logitech M100
    Headset/Speakers Altec Lansing
    OS Windows 7

Dual boot Win 7 and Ubunto 14.04.3

Hey all, im considering setting up my PC to do a dual boot. Well because i can. lol
    My last system i had dual boot on was an imac17" ( first to have the intel chipset ) with win XP.
    It was a beautiful thing to be able to do. I didnt realize how far Ubunto has come in the last 4 or 5 years. I built my current PC 2 years ago and would like to get back into Linux. Just read about dual booting Win and Ubunto and i cant resist trying it. If anyone has any tips before i take the plunge i would appreciate any input. I have repair disk, backed up my boot drive and i have about 20 GB of space available. I chose 14.04.3 because it is stable. I dont want to try the newer one until i know i can make this one work. Anyway thanks in advance.

ROG Member Array

Thumbs up for Linux ! I'd love to see something like Ai Suite for linux. Myself not the favorite thing but very useful for a lot of people. And then I must agree for people with linux I think they better mess with BIOS , set everything in there and be safe not thinking some app messing with Core Voltage in real time ...and then again ....sounds exciting !

ROG Guru: White Belt Array ZIXEL PC Specs
    ZIXEL PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G551jw
    Motherboardg551 HM86 chipset
    Processori7 4720HQ
    Memory (part number)2133 , 16gb g.skill ripjaws ddr3
    Graphics Card #1Intel HD Graphics 4600
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia 960m 4gb OC
    Sound CardRealtek ALC668
    MonitorViewsonic XG2701 144hz
    Storage #11TB , 7200
    Storage #2MydigitalSSD 128gb msta mini
    Keyboard Corsair k63 wireless
    Mouse Zowie mico
    Headset Hyperx stinger
    Mouse Pad Logitech g640 cloud9 edition
    OS Win8.1/Win10/Parrot os dual boot

hi i installed completly slackware 14.1 in g551jw with lilo boot , just i have one issue , i cannot do works the AUDIO ,
    GG WP

I can recommend >>> http://voltground.com

I just play StarCraft II

Thanks!

Thanks for looking out for the Linux users. I understand that ROG is all about gaming (and thus, Windows) but a couple things:

1. Just because someone games, doesn't mean they don't want to use that same rig for other things that Linux might be better at
    2. Some people are chasing specs/price combos and ROG models are often strong competitors in the bang for buck game (meaning non-gamers, including Linux users, end up with these machines)

I'm kinda in the second camp myself. The GL553V I'm working on isn't even mine. It's my CFO's new work machine (seriously) and our whole company is on Linux. I was surprised when she picked this machine, but I told her that, based on the specs, she made the right decision. I was willing to take on the challenge of getting Ubuntu going on it rather than going for a "safer" (tested, proven, documented using Ubuntu), less sexy machine. Hopefully I haven bit off more than I can chew.

Thanks again for accommodating friends of the penguin.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by truelai View Post
    Thanks for looking out for the Linux users. I understand that ROG is all about gaming (and thus, Windows) but a couple things:

1. Just because someone games, doesn't mean they don't want to use that same rig for other things that Linux might be better at
    2. Some people are chasing specs/price combos and ROG models are often strong competitors in the bang for buck game (meaning non-gamers, including Linux users, end up with these machines)

I'm kinda in the second camp myself. The GL553V I'm working on isn't even mine. It's my CFO's new work machine (seriously) and our whole company is on Linux. I was surprised when she picked this machine, but I told her that, based on the specs, she made the right decision. I was willing to take on the challenge of getting Ubuntu going on it rather than going for a "safer" (tested, proven, documented using Ubuntu), less sexy machine. Hopefully I haven bit off more than I can chew.

Thanks again for accommodating friends of the penguin.
    Hi, I have the same machine and I would like asking you if she could configure the laptop properly?
    In my case I could not get FN keys work.

ROG Junior Member Array

Can anybody send me the guide about Dual Boot Linux Installation on Asus FX553? I tried but failed.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array TimeLion724's Avatar

SteamOS section?
    " The speed of the fallen one does not change..."

GUIDE TO FIXING BSOD ERRORS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast