cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Framerate No Idea Why

JinHoshi
Level 7
Let me start by saying I have an intermediate knowledge of what I'm doing.

I recently bought a G750-JW as an alternative to using my desktop when I have to travel or for my fiance to use when she's over so I don't have to give up my desktop entirely to let her play games.

We installed the game in question (FFXIV) first thing after my antivirus (ESET NOD32) and I went ahead and loaded in to see how the framerate ran and to see if the laptop would lag at all, and I was averaging about 55 frames a second in High Laptop settings. Compared to her laptop running at 6-8 FPS and the previous "gaming" laptop we had purchased doing 11 FPS this was outstanding. So I passed her the laptop to play and went back to the game I had going on my desktop.

Suddenly her framerate wouldn't go above 14 FPS and even on Normal (Laptop) settings it stayed about 17 FPS. I updated all the drivers for the 765M to the Game Ready drivers available and it barely gave me 1-2 FPS higher, so I grabbed the beta driver and it didn't change at all.

I know this laptop is capable of better and the issue is probably just something simple I'm overlooking. There were no program changes at all from the 55 FPS run with my account and the lower FPS runs on her account. After updating the drivers I was using my account to test to see if the issue was fixed so the account used was not the cause either.

I did not OC either the processor or the GPU, everything was left in factory default state.

Any help or insight you could give would be appreciated. I know a GeForce GTX660 card can run Final Fantasy XIV on maximum settings (higher than Laptop High) at about 35 frames a second by itself as that is what I had in my desktop before changing to a GTX780, so the 765M should be capable of at the very least matching that.
4 REPLIES 4

JinHoshi
Level 7
Wait I may have just thought of something, the only difference between the 55 FPS and 8-17 FPS runs was the laptop being off the charger cable. When the laptop is running off battery is the GPU throttled?

JinHoshi wrote:
Wait I may have just thought of something, the only difference between the 55 FPS and 8-17 FPS runs was the laptop being off the charger cable. When the laptop is running off battery is the GPU throttled?

The GPU & CPU are throttled when off of battery.

This is a known issue with no remedy and is not exclusive to ASUS.

Our battery tech has fallen behind our hardware tech and there's just not enough juice to power the laptop unthrottled.
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Shawnnepc wrote:
The GPU & CPU are throttled when off of battery.

This is a known issue with no remedy and is not exclusive to ASUS.

Our battery tech has fallen behind our hardware tech and there's just not enough juice to power the laptop unthrottled.

Thank you so much, I'm so used to dealing with desktop gaming issues that it took me until after I posted to even consider charging/battery differences. That explains everything and I don't feel as stupid now.

JinHoshi wrote:

You need to update the BIOS. In BIOS before version 208, the CPU was throttled to 0.77 GHz and got stuck. With version 208 (support.asus.com), they allow for the CPU to jump up and down in speed, as needed. What BIOS do you currently have?