cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R3BE won't boot into BIOS with Lsi 9265-Help!

KidKB
Level 7
I am desperately in need of some help here. I have an LSi 9265-8i raid controller card that I have four SSD's in RAID 0 for boot and 2 HDD's in RAID 5 for storage hooked up to. Everything works great, EXCEPT I cannot boot into the motherboard BIOS with the card installed (I am using an Asus Rampage III Extreme Black Edition). I currently have it plugged into pcie slot 4 (8x) but have also tried the other pcie slots to no avail.

What happens is this: The splash screen comes up and I'll hit DEL to enter the bios, the RAID controller bios then pops up and runs, once it's done a screen pops up that just says "wait..." and it just sits there. The strange thing is I have used the diagnostic switch on the motherboard and turned off the pcie slot w/ the controller card, but it still immediately takes me to a "wait..." screen when I hit DEL to enter the BIOS. The only way I can successfully get into the BIOS is if I completely disconnect the controller card from the slot.

This is incredibly frustrating. Even more so is that I've spoken with another person with the same controller card and motherboard and he has absolutely no problems. I don't know what or if I need to RMA anything because the controller card functions fine and so does the motherboard (seemingly) except for that one function.

Computurd has given me some suggestions to assign the controller more option ROM, but unfortunately I don't see anything in the Rampage III BE BIOS that allows this.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

KidKB
Level 7
Just tried reverting back to the first firmware release for the 9265-8i and that did not help.

One thing I noticed, not sure if it means anything applicable, but when it hangs the code displayed on the motherboard is 87 "ACPI module initialization"...

...This is so frustrating.

Noein
Level 7

KidKB
Level 7
This has been resolved, the issue is actually related to the RAM. I was running 8GB while I was setting up my machine on a test bench until my case came in- The CPU fan was too large to fit additional memory.

Anyhow, after putting the rest of the memory in, it now boots up perfectly fine into the BIOS and recognizes the RAID controller in the boot menu. Just to be sure, I removed the memory, and sure enough it wouldn't boot back into the motherboard BIOS.