cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a little help on reinstall OP on ssd and installing data on Raid 5

coldair
Level 7
ok quick run down last weeks microsofts update screwed my raid 5 drives for some reason and I lost my data. so what I had is a 180 gig SS drive with windows 7 64 on it along with most of my programs and a raid 5 array with data. after the update I had a BSOD, rebooted and the system came back but running very slow, rebooted again and it started check disk and found a bunch of errors on raid and said it was recovering them. rebooted and no useable data on the drive so I checked bios and instead of raid it said ACHI so I reset to raid but then I could not boot to op

thanks mike
Intel 3930K
ASUS Rampage IV extreme
16GB (4x4096) Dominator CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 Ram
Corsair Force 3 180 gig hard drive
3TB raid drive
Seasonic 1250 watt PSU
2 EVGA 285 copper
Windows 7 64 SP1
Apple keyboard, Razor Naga Mouse, Dell 30 monitor, Thermaltake SwordM case separate box for 2 ThermoChill PA120.3 Triple 120mm Radiator ,two XSPC 250 Passive Aluminum Reservoirs, two MCP655™ pumps
15 REPLIES 15

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello Mike

Please tell me did you by any chance do a BIOS update?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Hello Mike

Please tell me did you by any chance do a BIOS update?

No I think I wound up with a version of Cryptolocker. My back ups are encrypted, including whats on the NAS.
at first I thought it was a failure of the raid or a driver. I tried to reinstall the drivers but that did not work. so I moved what was on the raid to a single drive formatted the array and tried installing the drivers again.
that did not work so I installed another win7 64 on a fresh SSD and when I tried to restore the raid data from a backup it put it all on the drive but in the morning I got a warning that I had a power state failure and was unable to write to the drive. so here I sit waiting on my cue at bleeping computers
Intel 3930K
ASUS Rampage IV extreme
3TB raid drive
Seasonic 1250 watt PSU
2 EVGA 285 copper
Windows 7 64 SP1
Apple keyboard, Razor Naga Mouse, Dell 30 monitor, Thermaltake SwordM case separate box for 2 ThermoChill PA120.3 Triple 120mm Radiator ,two XSPC 250 Passive Aluminum Reservoirs, two MCP655™ pumps

HiVizMan
Level 40
NAS and that sort of thing is not my field. I am going to ask someone who does more work in that field to step in here if that is ok with you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Nodens
Level 16
Sounds like at least one of your RAID5 array members is dying. Have these drives ever been arrayed on other controllers?
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

coldair
Level 7
That would be fine. but what I thought was a hardware software failure my in machine is in maybe a different version of Cryptolocker.

I just need to restore my data and make sure my system is clean. I am thinking about install a copy of windows 8.1 I have here after I sort this out.

thanks for the help
Intel 3930K
ASUS Rampage IV extreme
3TB raid drive
Seasonic 1250 watt PSU
2 EVGA 285 copper
Windows 7 64 SP1

Nodens
Level 16
It's not a Cryptolocker variant attack because that malware doesn't work that way. Cryptolocker can not affect anything low level such as a RAID array..it can only encrypt files accessible on the file system which is a layer above that. The operating system itself doesn't know anything about your RAID array.. it sees a singular device that can host a file system. Any damage caused by malware would not cause the array to fail. Sure they can corrupt your filesystem but that's it. The array itself would be clean.
The power state failure message means one of those drives is dying or cable has gone bad or you have some sort of general system instability.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

coldair
Level 7
that powerstate BSOD occurred on both of my machines in my office on the same day and both intel raid software programs stopped working.

what is even weirder is I received a phone call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft and said he would help me recover from a virus. I thought it was a coincidence and told him to bug off. he has called back 2 more times since then,

anyway while trying to recover my data I ran a virus scan from a cold boot and got this

then I noticed that my user list had grown, there should only be Caleb, public and Rampage.

Intel 3930K
ASUS Rampage IV extreme
3TB raid drive
Seasonic 1250 watt PSU
2 EVGA 285 copper
Windows 7 64 SP1

Nodens
Level 16
Ok those infections can not cause what you describe but it is imperative that you clean up your system as it is surely hijacked.

The person calling you is probably unrelated unless your phone number could have been leaked via your computer or you're being targeted by person who actually knows you.

Those users are normal users that can be found on a PC. Specifically:

Administrator folder may be created if you enable the admin account.
Classic .NET AppPool is a user account for Microsoft IIS. If you did not install IIS on your computer then it may have been installed by malware inorder to enable ftp access or serving files from your system via the web.
DefaultAppPool also belongs to IIS.
UpdatusUser is used by Nvidia Updater service and Geforce Experience.

RealBench Developer.

coldair
Level 7
Thanks.

I also at the same time had our netgear router start turning off the wifi to certain machines and its wired speed dropped down to .2 mps

the other machine is an EVGA X58 and it had the same raid failure, no drivers, etc and when I re install the intel raid software the array was empty
Intel 3930K
ASUS Rampage IV extreme
3TB raid drive
Seasonic 1250 watt PSU
2 EVGA 285 copper
Windows 7 64 SP1