Asus G74SX-XN1 Hard Drive Cloning and Switching my D: as my C:

Howdy,

It's my first time here so I hope I'm doing this right :-D

So first off, specs:

Asus G74SX-XN1
    12G Ram
    Core i7
    560M 3G
    HD 1( C: ) - Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BPVT 500GB 5400 RPM ( Windows 7 )
    HD 2( F: ) - Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500423AS 500GB 7200 RPM ( Storage, now a clone of C: )
    OS - Windows 7 Professional

First off, I bought this laptop used about a year ago. It's been great for gaming and for programming (C++). The only problems I've had were some BSOD issues earlier on but they stopped in December after a reformat (did a lot of troubleshooting and Razer Synapse seemed to be the problem).

Yesterday I noticed that my F: drive, which I use for storage, is the faster one of the 2. Obviously, I want the best possible perfomance out of my laptop so I want the Seagate( F: ) to become my C:. Now, after cloning my C: to F: with Acronis True Image 2013 Plus, I'm stuck. Now my question is this: how do I make my F: my C:? How do I make it so I can boot from my Seagate ( atm my F: ) and use my Western Digital ( atm my C: ) as Storage. I've included the screenshots that I thought would be helpful. I've Googled and searched forums (including this one) for a solution but I can't find one, I can only find hints which are a bit cryptic to me (I'm one year into learning about computer tech stuff and programming). That said, looking forward to hearing about the solution. Thanks in advance :-D

(There's a small difference in disk size because I modified some files on the C: drive to make sure I was booting from that one)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 - Western.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	23871

Name:	2 - Seagate.jpg 
Size:	281.7 KB 
ID:	23872

Name:	3 - Disk.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	23873

ROG Member Array

to run the C as system drive, first you must install the Seagate Momentus 7200 without another Hard Drive. then turn on your computer and install windows on it, BIOS should recognize it as a system drive. after that you can turn off your pc and then install Western Digital Scorpio Blue as the second hard drive.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array billyray520 PC Specs
    billyray520 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G73JH-A1, G73Sw
    MotherboardMaximus V Extreme, H97M-Plus
    ProcessorIntel Core I7 3770K, Core I5 4690s
    Memory (part number)32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (MVE)
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X OC (MVE)
    Graphics Card #2Intel HD Graphics 4600
    MonitorAsus ProArt PA248 (MVE)
    Storage #1OCZ Vertex 4 2.5" 256 GB SSD (MVE)
    Storage #2Seagate 1 TB 7200 SATA III 6.0 GB/s (MVE)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i Liquid Cooler (MVE)
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X tower on wheels (MVE)
    Power SupplyThermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200W (MVE)
    Keyboard Logitech G110 Black LED (MVE)
    Mouse Asus ROG MOBKUL Gaming (MVE)
    OS Windows 7 Professional / Ubuntu 12.04 (MVE)
    Network RouterMotorola Surfboard SBG6580

Now that you've cloned your System drive to the F: drive, simply swap the drives in their bays. IOW, physically install the cloned drive in the System drive bay, and System drive into the F: bay. If there are any problems, wait until Windows boots up properly with the C: drive (the original cloned F: drive) and then power down, install C: in old F: drive bay and reboot. BTW, good thinking moving the faster drive to your system drive. It would be even better if you can clone your system drive to an SSD drive though.
    Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
    (both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
    Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

New ROGer Array

Howdy guys,

Thanks a bunch for the replies. Very helpful and from what I researched I was figuring the solution was kinda as you laid it out. Now... lol

In a moment of nerd yolo last night (with a handy 6 pack of beer, and before I read your replies) I took out the Western Digital and tried to boot up without switching the HD's physically. This was a no go obviously as I got the "bootmgr is missing, press ctrl-alt-del to restart" message. Then I put the Western Digital back. Problems arise and I need to go to the boot override in the BIOS to boot my C:. Then I boot from the Win7 live cd, go to the command prompt and do a "bootrec.exe /fixmbr", and then a "Bootrec /Rebuild Bcd". Now a reboot and I can only get into my Win from boot overide. So at that moment I'm cool with this as I like troubleshooting and learning about this stuff.

Now the moment of nerd yolo happens. I decide to install Linux Mint on my Western DIgital and keep Win 7 on the Seagate (both HD's are in their original places physically). I install the grub on sda1 (Windows) and sdb (Linux) is active. This is what everything looks like:

Name:	hds.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	23938

Name:	C.jpg 
Size:	243.5 KB 
ID:	23939

So the first thing I notice is that Disk 0 and Disk 1 have switched (Disk 0 used to be the Western Digital, it's now the Seagate, and is also now the C. Which is a step in the right direction (I've noticed a nice performance boost also, the main goal of this).

So in a nutshell, I needed to go Linux style anyways as I want to learn about it. Drives are where I want them, I can boot from my grub at startup into whichever OS I want). Now, my question: at startup (grub), Windows (sda1 and sd2) give me two Windows 7 options to boot up. sda1 works, sda2 is a nono. So from looking at the ( C: ) and Sys Res ( F: ) and I'm guessing that my BIOS is giving me the option of booting from my Sys Res ( F: ). So ya, looking to clean this up and make it a wrap :-D

Thanks again for your replies getmealive and billyray520. Hopefully I didn't disappoint, lol. It must be said, I am having fun here :-D

New ROGer Array

Looked at my disks on Linux and I noticed the 288 bad sectors...

Name:	linux.jpg 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	23943

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array billyray520 PC Specs
    billyray520 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G73JH-A1, G73Sw
    MotherboardMaximus V Extreme, H97M-Plus
    ProcessorIntel Core I7 3770K, Core I5 4690s
    Memory (part number)32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (MVE)
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X OC (MVE)
    Graphics Card #2Intel HD Graphics 4600
    MonitorAsus ProArt PA248 (MVE)
    Storage #1OCZ Vertex 4 2.5" 256 GB SSD (MVE)
    Storage #2Seagate 1 TB 7200 SATA III 6.0 GB/s (MVE)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i Liquid Cooler (MVE)
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X tower on wheels (MVE)
    Power SupplyThermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200W (MVE)
    Keyboard Logitech G110 Black LED (MVE)
    Mouse Asus ROG MOBKUL Gaming (MVE)
    OS Windows 7 Professional / Ubuntu 12.04 (MVE)
    Network RouterMotorola Surfboard SBG6580

Glad you're having fun!
    Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
    (both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
    Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

ROG Enthusiast Array

I'd grab a copy of Acronis True Image. That's all I use. Best software around for cloning / backing up / restoring drives. Yes, it's a paid app but it is well worth it.