cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel I217-V NIC (Network, Ethernet) adapter loses IP address upon resume from sleep

jodiuh
Level 7
Hello,

I am having an issue w/ my Maximus VI Hero and the NIC. If I resume from sleep, it will lose the IP from time to time.

My 1st board lasted 2 weeks before the issue begin. The replacement board also lasted 2 weeks and is now doing the same thing. Here's a picture:

As you can see, it assigns an automatic private address. I can fix this simply by running the hardware diagnostics. Also, I'm running Windows 8.

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this? I've tried setting the link speed manually and changing drivers already.

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

squawker
Level 11
Hi jodiuh, welcome to ROG Forum.

I do not like or use W8/W8.1, so my suggestions are based on W7, but i think they are also applicable to 8/8.1.

First of all, i think the issue could be with the router / modem connected to the motherboard, so, if you have another one, you could try it and see the results.

By the way, i’m also on a M6H and it is connected to a Cisco firewall ISA 570 and each time the mobo resumes from sleep, the Internet connection is always immediately on, a sign that NIC, IP addresses, etc, is all ok.

To leave out any doubt, i suggest you go to Task Manager > Sevices Tab > Services...> DHCP Client > right click Proprieties > check if the service is config. as “Automatic” and it is running.

2. A workaround to this issue could be to assign an IP address to the NIC, and as in my case the firewall/router almost always automatically assigns the IP address 192.168.75.100, if i had this issue, the config would be:

As you can see i’m not using TCP/IPv6, and if you use it, maybe you have also to config it.

Sorry if you already have tried this, hope this could help.

Raja
Level 13
Also try disabling any low power states in the driver panel (allow windows to turn off this device checkbox etc).

jodiuh
Level 7
Thanks for the tips guys. I will keep them in mind.

I "think" I am good tho. I can't recall the exact name, but in device manager or the configure option on the NIC's properties, there's a bunch of "Wake on LAN" and other settings similar. I unchecked all of them and have been good for a few days now.

When it happened, I could get it to fail every other sleep cycle. After unchecking all the options and rebooting, I lasted 10 sleep cycles and that was good enough for me.

I hope that the issue is resolved now as it was quite annoying!

Thanks and I will post a screenshot when I get home later tonight.

Nicholas_Steel
Level 8
I just had this exact same issue with my dads ASUS Sabertooth z87 (Not Mark 1 or 2) motherboard under Windows 7 x64. The network adapter just suddenly wanted to use IP Addresses in the completely wrong IP range and subnet mask which should've been impossible considering how everything else is configured. This caused us to lose network and internet connectivity on his computer, the computer couldn't even interact with the router via the web interface (My PC still worked fine though).

I've tried the following to resolve the issue:
- resetting the router
- disconnecting and reconnecting the ethernet cable at both ends
- manually assigning an IP address
- turning off all wake-on-event settings
- turning off all power saving settings
- enabling manual negotiation of 100Mbps and also tried 1.0Gbps
- Letting Windows attempt to resolve it
- and Rebooting the PC

None of those resolved it, it seemed to resolve when I went through and performed each diagnostic test when looking at the network adapter in Device Manager though o_O
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64|AMD Ryzen 3700X|ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi Motherboard|16GB DDR4 3600Mhz RAM|Integrated Audio|MSI Geforce 1070Ti|Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply|Fractal Define Design R5 Computer Case|Samsung P2350 Monitor