cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS, Please Create the *Perfect* Gaming Monitor!

TheSurroundGame
Level 9
...for triple-monitor gamers! AMD Eyefinity/Nvidia Surround users UNITE!

I request that this monitor have the following specs:

1. 16:10 resolution 1920x1200/2560x1600 - This is EXTREMELY important! More height for an already wide aspect ratio triple-monitor setup is a must. The 16:9 aspect ratio need not apply.

2. Larger sizes! Why oh why are all of the new 16:10 *gaming* monitors stuck at 24"!? Sure, the 30" ones are 16:10, but, they are not geared toward gamers--slower response times can cause ghosting and a less responsive feel to the game. Please aim for 27"+ sizes of these proposed monitors.

3. Low response time. This goes without saying. Twitch-fast gaming on triple monitors is a welcome opportunity!

4. LED-backlit. The LED technology is a huge improvement over CCFL. Brighter, crisper displays, lower power consumption, and, less heat output are always welcome when you're running three of these!

5. Lightspeed, If possible. In reality, 60hz is fine because you're running a high triple-monitor resolution, the hardware requirement to blast through 60 fps will be pretty high, but, 90 fps stable is possible; VSYNC that!

6. Less bloat and more focus on the display. We don't need extra bells and whistles that will cause the cost of the monitor to go up and take away from its performance. USB? No thank you! Speakers? Don't need 'em! HDMI? DisplayPort? Maybe. I'm still using DVI to be honest with all of you. HDMI brings about problems with washing out colors. Bleh.

7. Thin-as-possible bezels. This is important for a seamless triple-monitor setup. Bezels, which, I really do not mind, are frowned upon by onlookers and do not help to increase interest in triple-monitor setups. Or, if you must use bezels, please give us an easy way to remove them via simple modding. Please!

ASUS, I'm a big proponent for triple-monitor gaming (hence the name), and I really wish for ASUS to pursue this type of monitor for the future of triple-monitor gamers. I'm still using my three ASUS VW266H LCDs, but, they are showing signs of age. The CCFL backlight is beginning to fade unevenly on two of my monitors and causing a yellow streak on one of them. I really like the ASUS VW266H, but, when I look around, I do not see a worthy replacement for them YET! I would love to stay in the ASUS family, I just do not want to drop down from 26" to 24" monitors. Please help your buddy, The Surround Gamer out here! Thank you!

(See the ASUS VW266H monitors in action here: http://www.youtube.com/user/UrbanSmooth)
\Project\ Triple Surround Fury
•Mountain Mods Ascension case•
•i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz•
•ASUS Rampage III Extreme•
•Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600MHz (6-8-6-24-1T)•
•PNY GTX 670 3-Way SLI•
•Crucial M4 256GB•
•Windows 7 Home Premium 64•
•(2)Corsair HX1000 1000W PSUs•
•(3)ASUS VW266H 25.5" 1920 x 1200 monitors in Nvidia Surround•

YouTubeGoogle PlusFacebookBlogger
14 REPLIES 14

kkn
Level 14
http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG278HE/
only problem is thick edges on the frame it self.

kkn wrote:
http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG278HE/
only problem is thick edges on the frame it self.

That is a 16:9 (1920 x 1080) monitor! We are looking for 16:10 (1920 x 1200 / 2560 x 1600) aspect ratio here! Next time, please read all of the above requirements. In case you missed it, that one was #1. :eek:
•i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz•
•PNY GTX 670 3-Way SLI•
•Crucial M4 256GB•

chrsplmr
Level 18
Hey .. Do you talk to your Mother like that ??? We respect each other here .. it will serve you well to do like wise.

TheSurroundGamer. Welcome to ROG.

kkn: Thanks but that is a 16:9 monitor, in case you missed it, looking for 16:10, BIG ?

A quick review of Asus Products Pages http://www.asus.com/Commercial_Monitors_Projectors/
shows you are correct OP, nothing over 24in. in the 16:10's ... so far.
Hopefully if enough speak out for this, demand, then .... someday soon 'we' hope.

This one's a beauty though .. 16:9 x 27" : http://www.asus.com/Commercial_Monitors_Projectors/PB278Q/
Best of Luck. Nice Videos, btw. .c.

chrsplmr wrote:
Hey .. Do you talk to your Mother like that ??? We respect each other here .. it will serve you well to do like wise.

TheSurroundGamer. Welcome to ROG.

kkn: Thanks but that is a 16:9 monitor, in case you missed it, looking for 16:10, BIG ?

A quick review of Asus Products Pages http://www.asus.com/Commercial_Monitors_Projectors/
shows you are correct OP, nothing over 24in. in the 16:10's ... so far.
Hopefully if enough speak out for this, demand, then .... someday soon 'we' hope.

This one's a beauty though .. 16:9 x 27" : http://www.asus.com/Commercial_Monitors_Projectors/PB278Q/
Best of Luck. Nice Videos, btw. .c.

Thank you for your response, something for you to remember me by. Keep up the good work!
•i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz•
•PNY GTX 670 3-Way SLI•
•Crucial M4 256GB•

chrsplmr wrote:

I'll second that...;)

Here is a good article on screen size and why 16:9 seems likely to stay.... http://semiaccurate.com/2013/10/11/amd-solves-4k-display-problems-vesa-display-id-v1-3/

Tripple screen is a bit of a gimmick and accounts for a very small market and looking at those videos (not sure if it's the dodgy camera angle) certainly not for me!..looks distorted...I find myself looking at the centre screen only in order to avoid the distortion on the outer two... and the bezles!!

16:9 aspect ratio is not a random choice...it is based on the field of view of human eyes. A much cleverer surround setup would be three 1920x1080 monitors together but all in portrait... (15.2:9)

Much prefer a single large hi res screen....they are coming...

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
1) Can only use what's available from the LCD maker. We don't manufacture this part. 16:10 is reserved for professional market only these days; don't blame us - talk to LG/Samsung/Japan Display/AUO etc

2) I'm pushing this but the price has got to come down too, which again is not dependent on us and larger displays = more materials = more cost. Lots of capacity has been pushed to phones and tablets so PCs are down the priority list for them. I can see an explosion of 2560 gamers as soon as the price is right because loads of people want to upgrade their 1080p monitors and they aren't replacing with another 1080.

3) Sure, but then you'll have to live with TN.

4) Everything bar PA is LED backlit these days.

5) Gaming monitors will always be >60, which again = TN.

6) Gotta have HDMI, DP. DVI should die like VGA, imo. Color quality is down to the processing chip inside, not the cable. HDMI=DP=DVI in terms of what data is passed over.

7) Very difficult and increases cost, but yes, it's certainly something I have been pushing.

Zygomorphic wrote:
I'd love to see the 16:10 ratio, too. @MarshallR, if you would encourage ASUS to lobby the panel manufacturers, then maybe they would listen?

@TheSurroundGamer, as to the type of input, any digital input is fine. However, HDMI has been limited in terms of bandwidth until 1.4. Displayport is fine, as is DVI (@MarshallR).

God, I love you guys. Thank you for the very valued information here. You response to numbers 1 and 2 on the list are what I've feared happening to the PC market, that is, being pushed aside for inferior products. This is pathetic and sad, really. But, hey, it's the hive mentality of consumers and marketing these days. Oh well, if the elite have to suffer, then, we'll find another way.

Please continue to push for these higher grade 16:10 panels! Thank you.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I'll second that...;)

Here is a good article on screen size and why 16:9 seems likely to stay.... http://semiaccurate.com/2013/10/11/amd-solves-4k-display-problems-vesa-display-id-v1-3/

Tripple screen is a bit of a gimmick and accounts for a very small market and looking at those videos (not sure if it's the dodgy camera angle) certainly not for me!..looks distorted...I find myself looking at the centre screen only in order to avoid the distortion on the outer two... and the bezles!!

16:9 aspect ratio is not a random choice...it is based on the field of view of human eyes. A much cleverer surround setup would be three 1920x1080 monitors together but all in portrait... (15.2:9)

Much prefer a single large hi res screen....they are coming...

You come in here talking about everything that is the opposite of #1 on that list, and you expect me to just accept what you're saying. Everything that you have posted here is like the exact opposite of what we're pushing for here. Why did you even need to chime in? Go enjoy your 'wonderful' 16:9 monitors that are readily available for you at this very moment. I, on, the other hand, need to make threads like this to appeal. Thank you for your time, anyway. :rolleyes:
•i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz•
•PNY GTX 670 3-Way SLI•
•Crucial M4 256GB•

X-ROG
Level 15
1) Can only use what's available from the LCD maker. We don't manufacture this part. 16:10 is reserved for professional market only these days; don't blame us - talk to LG/Samsung/Japan Display/AUO etc

2) I'm pushing this but the price has got to come down too, which again is not dependent on us and larger displays = more materials = more cost. Lots of capacity has been pushed to phones and tablets so PCs are down the priority list for them. I can see an explosion of 2560 gamers as soon as the price is right because loads of people want to upgrade their 1080p monitors and they aren't replacing with another 1080.

3) Sure, but then you'll have to live with TN.

4) Everything bar PA is LED backlit these days.

5) Gaming monitors will always be >60, which again = TN.

6) Gotta have HDMI, DP. DVI should die like VGA, imo. Color quality is down to the processing chip inside, not the cable. HDMI=DP=DVI in terms of what data is passed over.

7) Very difficult and increases cost, but yes, it's certainly something I have been pushing.

I'd love to see the 16:10 ratio, too. @MarshallR, if you would encourage ASUS to lobby the panel manufacturers, then maybe they would listen?

@TheSurroundGamer, as to the type of input, any digital input is fine. However, HDMI has been limited in terms of bandwidth until 1.4. Displayport is fine, as is DVI (@MarshallR).
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

chrsplmr
Level 18
" Oh well, if the elite have to suffer, then, we'll find another way." TheSurroundGamer

All consumer goods are market demand driven, this is basic business economics. When and if there is
a high enough demand, then supply will follow.

Maybe 3 high end 16:10 projectors and 133" screens will get you there, but then the bulbs can be
upwards of $600. This 'one' looks promising:
http://www.brytewerks.com/Pretty elite eh ?

Thank you for your appeal. .c.