cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750 4k Display

FIREWORKKS
Level 7
Is the G750 capable of powering a external 4K display via HDMI?
Or, when mobile 4k displays are released, is it possible to replace the current Chi Mei screen on my lappy?
If you were to put in a external 4k display or replace the Chi Mei, will it decrease performance?
7 REPLIES 7

reka121402
Level 7
No, even the 780m has no where near enough power for 4K.
Most current desktops don't even have enough power.

I would think that by the time 4K is standard (remember the G750 is only 1080p) this lappy will be so far outdated it would be a doorstop.

I know for a fact 4k game would be impossible but 4k video playback i'm not sure because my wifes laptop with intel hd 4600 on board graphics has 4k video playback and yes it does work. Would have to do more research for sure but i would think a gaming laptop with dedicated graphics should be able too.

villiansv
Level 11
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-770M.88995.0.html claims that 4k resolution is possible on GTX 770M, via HDMI 1.4a (which I think we have). Perhaps you can go to a shop selling 4k monitors/tvs and ask if you can test your laptop?

As for an internal 4k panel - not sure if that won't require a new connector/cable type. Even so - 4k on a 17-inch screen? I wish I had your eyesight.

themeonster
Level 7
If intel hd graphics can output 4k, there is no doubt that our enthusiast level nvidia GPUs can. As to gaming in 4k, I doubt it.

I doubt the day will ever come when a G750 is somehow able to run a game in native 4k, but video, *maybe*. And yes I believe it can display images and a desktop in 4k without issue.

4k on the notebook screen itself ... where do I sign up?!
ASUS G750JX-TB71

• CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
  • Screen: 17.3' Full HD Matte Screen @ 100Hz
  • Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz. RAM 2x8
  • Storage: 500GB SSD 850 EVO + 750GB HDD @ 7200rpm
  • TC: IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU

Well if it matters to anyone, my friend has a $3000 2013 MBP with Retina display, and he installed Windows 7 onto it and "played" Bioshock Infinite on it at full resolution (2880x1800) and while it LOOKED very nice, he got only about 7-12 FPS (max settings, AA off (cause at that res on 15" screen, why AA?)) which was laughable.. His MBP had a 550M gpu and 3rd gen i7 processor, and the game got a more reasonable framerate at 1080p.

I have zero doubts this laptop would have ANY issue with ANY other type of activity on a 4K display, considering his MBP (less in means of power than any model G750) can do ANYTHING else at "retina" resolution, aside from games like Bioshock Infinite.

Things like Photoshop, internet browsing, 4K movies shouldn't be an issue on this machine. But that's just my guess.
Asus G750JW-DB71

I plugged in my ASUS ROG G750JX to a 4K TV on Windows 10 and it was perfect no issues in 4k resolution (it is crazy you have 4times the regular space and in 100% scalling everything is so tiny yet everything is still sharp ;). I dont know about gaming but it displays the screen and my programs just fine. Now I am thinking of buing a 32' 4K monitor :). I was using HDMI v2 cable. And in case you are wondering the TV was 50 Philips 50PUS6703. Also the one thing I noticed is that 4K was utilizing 80-90% of the 3GB GPU memory in opposite to 40-50% when I am using my full HD 1080p monitor.