cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Chassis Fan / Mobo question (Crosshair Form V)

Retired
Not applicable
Hi,

First time poster 😄

I'm looking for some advice on my case fans connecting to my newly purchased crosshair formula V motherboard.

At the moment I have 2 x 92mm Front intake Fans (2pin connections) + one rear 120mm fan again with 2 pin connection's going directly into my PSU (be quiet dark power 750).

Case link

The only fan that plugs directly onto the motherboard is my CPU fan.

My question is should I be connecting my case fans to the motherboard directly for more efficient cooling / monitoring, if so do I need to purchase adapters of somekind ? or a fan controller.

any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
6 REPLIES 6

Cyrekk
Level 10
With 2 pin connectors, it really shouldn't make a difference. It takes 3 pins to monitor the speed, and 4 pin to control the speed via PWM.
New member? Introduce yourself here, learn a little of what we are about here, and refer to some simple rules here.
Though typically not required or enforced, here is a list of guidelines on proper forum etiquette.
[Work in progress]
The Crosshair GENE will come! - Show your support HERE!
SYSTEM SPECS

chrsplmr
Level 18
Finally, thnx Ckk, I couldn't come up with a straight simple answer to that from anywhere. hahaa
As simple as 2,3,4...hahahahhaa..thnx.

To the tech guys, no offense, but SOME of us will
never use the long explaination that you all spent
years learning, SOME will simply never need or use it.
hahahah....2,3,4.

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for the info saved me a lot of grief! cheers.

Which leads me onto my second question 😉 In your opinions would it be worth changing the fans over to 4 pin versions that could be monitored via the main board and the power management features ?

I don't really have any issues with temp at the moment , but would like to run the setup as efficiently as possible.

Is this something i should be looking at ?

Thanks again.

TechJackass88
Level 7
4 Pin is overkill, mainly it's for a CPU fan, rest can be monitored and volt controlled, there are excelent control panels that do just that, Zalman ZN-MFC2 or Scythe KM02-BK are examples, there are many more.
I prefer stand alone solutions, because they will beep and warn me if fan failed or underperforming.
My ROG: MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula | CPU: AMD 1100T Black Edition (O/C 4.125 GHz) | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 4x4 GB (PC12800 842 MHz) | PSU: Rosewill 1000W 80+ Bronse
GPU: 2xEVGA GTX 560Ti 2GB VRAM | Primary HDD: Samsung 470S 128 GB SSD | Secondary HDD's: 3x WD Caviar Green 2TB Non Raid | ODD: Samsung BD-R/DVD-RW
Cooling: CPU: Corsair H5O with Push Pull Scythe Slipstream fans | Rest: GELID Ultra quiet closed loop fans. | Control: Zalman ZM-MFC2

speed
Level 12
Are the fans to loud? Are your temp ok? If fans are not to loud and temps are good let it ride just the way it is.

Being ingnorant and ingnored one post at a time.

Area_66
Level 11
Honestly you don't have too much air flow in that case , I will not try to reduce it ....