Storage #12TB Seagate
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i Pro 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler
    CaseCorsair Crystal 570X
    Power SupplyCorsair AX860i Platinum
    Keyboard Logitech MK700
    Mouse Logitech MX 705
    Headset/Speakers Logitech 5.1
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Angry Asus Tech Support gave me wrong information to update bios. Now computer is a mess

As the title suggests, I had been in contact with Asus Tech Support, to try to resolve an issue I was having with my Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3, with not staying in sleep mode. It would try to go into sleep mode, then immediately come out off sleep mode. I have been using WIndows8 Pro for 5 weeks & the sleep issue had started. Prior to WIndows8 I was using WIndows 7 Pro & had no issues what so ever with my system going into & staying in sleep mode. I upgraded to windows 8.1 Pro, thinking it may have been a MS bug, but this did not fix my problem.

During this, & in chat with Asus tech support, different things were suggested to me to try. Nothing worked. The Lady I was dealing with suggested updating my bios from Version 3203 to the new version 3603.
    I had no problems with doing this, as I would be able to update with no problems, & as the woman from Asus Tech Support also suggested doing this. I had my system O/C'd from the standard CPU I7 2700K from 3.5GHZ & had it running at 4.6GHz & completely fine tuned the bios & it was running at just on 1 volt, with temps in the very low 20 Degrees Celcius. It took me a week almost 24/7 working on fine tuning the offset voltage to get my system running to where I was happy with it. Yes, I saved this as a bios profile & yes, I did take screen captures of every setting the bios had.

I asked the woman from Tech Support, was I somehow able to back up my bios settings to replace after I updated the bios. I told her, & I told her numerous times that I could not afford to loose my bios settings or my bios profile. She assured me that updating the bios would definately NOT delete or erase any saved bios profiles I had saved. So I "stupidly" trusted her & updated the bios to version 3603.

Well, you may have already gueesed by now, it did in fact delete my bios profiles. I did try to use the screen captures from the previous bios settings & try to replace them but the layout of the new bios screens are completely differently arranged.

I have now basically O/C'd the machine & it is running at 4.6GHz, but temps are in the mid 40's at idle.

Thanks to the woman from Asus Tech Support giving me the wrong information, I am now screwed. Is it at all possible to recover my previous bios & bios profile settings???

Would anyone who may use the same CPU & board as mine be able to share their bios settings with me? I noticed that Asus have a feature that you can download & install other people's bios settings, but I find out that my board series is not supported. VERY DISSAPOINTING to say the least. Maybe a ploy to force people to upgrade their boards!!!!

Now, as I said thanks to the incompetence of the woman from Asus Tech Support, I am screwed. Any help, suggestions would be so very, very sincerely appreciated.

TIA
    Aussie

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Welcome to the ROG forums, Aussie!

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. Unfortunately there is no way to recover your BIOS profiles. If you had saved it within the BIOS, it gets wiped completely during the flash. And even if you did backed up the profile to a USB pendrive, it wouldn't work. The reason is because BIOS profiles only works for the specific version of the BIOS that you were using. That means you can' carry over the BIOS profile from one version to another.

You'll simply have to redo your overclock.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

The 2700K series of CPU's are easy as can be to OC mate.

Just chill - list your hardware in detail and include your cooling too please.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array AussieJunior PC Specs
    AussieJunior PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus X Hero
    Processor8700K
    Memory (part number)F4-3466C16-8GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
    MonitorSamsung 32" curved
    Storage #12TB Seagate
    CaseCorsair Crystal 570X
    Keyboard Logitech MK700
    Mouse Logitech MX 705
    OS Windows 10 Pro

@chino, I appreciate the welcome my friend Your user name seems very familiar. Would you have been a member of any WII forums?
    I was afraid I would have to do all my bios settings again. As mentioned it took me a week working nearly 24/7 getting my machine running to its optimum while using very, very little power. I should have gone with my feelings & not gone ahead with the bios update due to me thinking bios profiles might be deleted. But again as said, when your assured & garenteed quite a few times my Asus Tech Support, that bios settings would be safe & would in no way be deleted, I went against my gut feelings & did the update, which I now really do regret, & I will never forgive the Asus Tech Woman for what she did.
    To be honest Chino, it was a guide from here that I did follow & had my machine flying, even under 100% load using extremely low volts, & amazing low temps. But, do you think I can remember what guide it was??? Nooooop.

@HiVizMan.... Mr reliable for always helping out & replying no matter what. I sincerely appreciate your time in replying. And as requested, I will try to provide you with as much information you have asked for me to give. So, here goes & please bear with me here. I will try to give you as much info as possible. If I have left anything out, by all means please ask.

M/B Maximus IV GENE-Z/GEN3: BIOS 3603: Windows Pro 8.1 64bit: CPU i7 2700K @ 4.6 GHz: Core Voltage @ idle 1.25v -1.384v fluctuates:
    CPU temps @ idle ( fluctuating temps ), minimum temp at idle in degrees celius 34-41-34-32 but maximum temp at idle in degrees celius 45-52-46-42. These temps were taken after 5 minutes of computer running & using RealTemp 3.70
    RAM 4x4GB Dominator GT (CMT16GX3M4X2133C9) Latency: 9-11-10-27
    Case Coolermaster HAF932: Top fan is exhaust, side fan, front fan & bottom of case fan are intake. CPU Cooler: Corsair H80, with radiator fans set up to exhaust air
    PSU Corsair HX750:
    If any further details you would like, please feel free

Regards
    Aussie

ROG Member Array AussieJunior PC Specs
    AussieJunior PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus X Hero
    Processor8700K
    Memory (part number)F4-3466C16-8GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
    MonitorSamsung 32" curved
    Storage #12TB Seagate
    CaseCorsair Crystal 570X
    Keyboard Logitech MK700
    Mouse Logitech MX 705
    OS Windows 10 Pro

extra info I just thought off. 4 dvd burners, 1 blu-ray player. 1 bitfennix fan controller

Thanks mate and no worries.

Lets get you stable at what ever frequency you want it to be.

Here is what we are going to do.

In BIOS F5 to set defaults and enter (we want a clean slate mate)

Now XMP mode of OC and that should sort out the memory side of things.

Set your Multi at 46 (or what ever it was before) - remember it is summer down under so ambient might be higher than normal.

Enable CPU PLL

Set LLC to medium.

Vcore to offset.
    +

Set your SATA to RAID if you run one or else leave all on auto.

F10 and enter.

Now the offset is very low right now but your 2700K should not need much voltage I do not think. Post to OS and run some stress test for 20-30 minutes to see the heat production. Actually use HWmonitor and ROG Realbench, run the bench twice one after another and see the temps. If you pass that then you would pass ages on Prime.

What you want to do is look at the vcore at idle and at load. Make a note of the values.

Once you are done report back.

If you struggle to pass increase the
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

It's Spring actually Viz, though with how the weather has been lately, you could be forgiven for thinking it's Winter still hahaha

Seriously Myk?

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

Dead set mate, Autumn for you, Spring for us but yeah, it's been mostly cold and wet here in the state that AussieJunior and I both live in lol.

I knew it was Spring - I mean did not know it was cold at the minute.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast