cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning my laptop

thatqcguy
Level 7
Hi everyone!

I am the proud owner of a new G74SX-A1 Laptop from Asus.
I am very happy with it, but the only problem that I have is that the black surfaces pick up fingerprints like glue, any advice on what to use to get it clean like new?

Thank you
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
Microfiber cloth is the best, IMO. Cleaning solutions just get into places you don't want them and they aren't as portable. A small cloth you can fold up and keep in your laptop bag. Also, for my netbook I bought a skin which gave it a sweet new look, protects it from scratches, and pretty much eliminates the fingerprint problem. I got mine from skinit but there are other companies that offer similar products.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
use eighter one of the microfiber cloths that came with the laptop 😄 And for the screen: just make the cloth moist by applying water to it, and let it dry until it almost isnt wet anymore, then you can go ahead and clean the screen too 😄

Alright, thanks for the info, and I was thinking about your suggestion about getting a skin, well where do you suggest I get one, I Went to skinit but they didnt have the G74 in their laptop list.

grungeboy2
Level 10
i bought a cooskin keyboard cover to protect the keyboard, one of the clear TPU kinds. to clean the rest of the laptop i shut it down, remove the battery, then get about 2 or 3 paper towels, fold them up, wet them under the faucet, then squeeze about 80% of the water out (that way there's still a little moisture with it).

i wipe down the screen first, while the paper towels are still clean, i use a couple of dry ones, crumple them up (cleans glass and screen surfaces better like this), wipe down the screen, then clean the rest of the laptop.

i use the dry ones from wiping down the screen to dry it off. i usually wash the keyboard protector every other week in the sink with a dishsponge, some warm water, and dish soap.

about every few months i get a can of compressed air and blow it out real good, including my targus chill mat. with the way the newer g series are made with the dual exhaust and stuff, i'd probably try to find a way to blow into the exhaust and try to blow everything OUT. it really doesn't help to blow all that dust around if it's still staying inside the laptop.